Garmin Waypoints into AutoCAD

kbellis

Hi kbellis, we meet again! I would take a look at DNR Garmin, a free program that was built to provide users the ability to directly transfer data between Garmin GPS handheld receivers and various GIS software packages. I use Land Desktop 2004 in my GIS work and would export GPS data to shapefile format, which is then easily brought into CAD. I usually work with track data (polylines) this way but waypoints are handled as well.

Hi,

New to GPS but very interested. We have need to walk trail and document locations for various conditions (rare plant species, erosion problems, etc).

We are looking for a method to:

A. geotag photos showing these conditions.

B. create a graphic representation for locations of the conditions and the path taken.

To this end we purchased a 62s, hoping it to be a relatively inexpensive tool to accomplish these.

Couple questions that I'd appreciate help with.

1. I understand I can sync the clocks on the 62s and my camera and use some software to insert the coordinates to the photo EXIF data based on the time tags.

2. Most importantly I want to import the 62s' track data to CAD (via GIS if necessary) and will try DNR Garmin unless there is a better method out now. What settings do I need to use for this to work?

3.- Map datum? our Cad file was derived from GIS survey in MD. The project scale is a stream +/- 3 miles long. If I use WGS84 should it overlay well onto the GIS data?

4. GPS type? WAAS or Normal? We would like the most accurate option (3 meters is ideal) that is compatible with exporting to Cad.

5. Interface? Spanner, Serial, NMEA (nautical?), Text Out, RTCM? Sorry, don't have the first clue yet which one is appropriate.

Thanks much in advance.

Dave

Couple questions that I'd appreciate help with.

1. I understand I can sync the clocks on the 62s and my camera and use some software to insert the coordinates to the photo EXIF data based on the time tags.

Yes, your 62s will have the precise time so sync your camera to the 62s. I use RoboGeo, a program that geocodes and stamps your digital photos, and exports various file formats, including CAD .dxf or shapefiles. It costs about $80 but it's worth it in my opinion. Try a free trial install and check it out.

2. Most importantly I want to import the 62s' track data to CAD (via GIS if necessary) and will try DNR Garmin unless there is a better method out now. What settings do I need to use for this to work?

RoboGeo will export a CAD .dxf file of your tracks, but I prefer DNR Garmin for that. You can set your tracklog data to be exported to any projection, such as your MD coord system, as a shapefile, then import into CAD. DNR is free. Download it and experiment with some of your track .gpx data.

3.- Map datum? our Cad file was derived from GIS survey in MD. The project scale is a stream +/- 3 miles long. If I use WGS84 should it overlay well onto the GIS data?

Yes. Use your data in any projection, but make sure it has a .prj file for it.

4. GPS type? WAAS or Normal? We would like the most accurate option (3 meters is ideal) that is compatible with exporting to Cad.

WAAS provides a better accuracy. Typically 2-3 meters under best conditions.

5. Interface? Spanner, Serial, NMEA (nautical?), Text Out, RTCM? Sorry, don't have the first clue yet which one is appropriate.

USB. DNR and RoboGeo (for examples) will transfer your Garmin tracks and waypoints directly out of your 62s in the native .gpx format.

I work with this type of data on a regular basis so feel free to contact me via email if you want.

-Pat

these is the data in gpx viewer

Inline afbeelding 3

I put my gps data in the trial of expertGPS and get these

Inline afbeelding 2

and then I can get it in autocad LT

Inline afbeelding 1

I 've tried these also in DNR, put I can not get these in Autocad

Also RoboGEO, but the cad is not the same as with expertgps.

somebody another program for gpx to dxf of other cadformats?