Geocaching: The Next Generation

Snoogans

This post from the Toddler thread got me thinkin' about an idea I had several years ago:

we have always cached with the kids, our little GIT(geocachers in training) are almost 5 and almost 3, they were 4 and 2 when we started.

We have a backpack carrier for the littlest one because she has walking issues sometimes. The almost 5yo on the other hand is a freakin prodigy, he will jump out of the truck and walk straight to them most times leaving his daddy and myself in disbelief LOL

At an event quite some time ago I saw two little cachers about 6 to 8 years old accurately discussing relative distances to two of the event caches without using their GPS.

I thought that was amazing for kids so young and it occured to me that geocaching was actually sharpening their depth perception. It made me wonder if kids of the "GeoGeneration" might have fewer accidents because of the skills that geocaching gave them at a young age......

I could just see the data being added to actuarial tables with insurance companies giving lifetime geocacher discounts... :) At least for car insurance... :)

What do you think?

IS geocaching going to change a generation of children for the better?

In what other ways do you see geocaching being a benefit for the lifetime of the next generation of cachers who are raised as cachers and continue to cache after leaving the nest???

I dunno, maybe they'll lose their keys less often, or find 'em quicker or sumthin'. Heck that could save the world billions in lost productivity alone. :D:):)

I heard in passing that a not-so-recent study showed that younger Americans have much higher dexterity in their thumbs and less so with their fingers than older Americans. This attributed to the newer style of game controller and texting.

Every generation will have a slightly different skill set than any other.

Also, the children will follow the parents lead and develop skills at a much earlier age than if they waited until adulthood. Children of dance and gymnastic teachers are probably more graceful. Children of avid hunters or gun enthusiasts probably will be better shots. Children of English teachers might the ones that you go to for correct spelling or grammar. (We have one on our team. A human dictionary.)

So, will children of avid orienteers have a better since of direction and space than those of geocachers?

So, will children of avid orienteers have a better sense of direction and space than those of geocachers?

You made some great points with the rest of your post CR....

But the geocacher is still going to find his car keys quicker than the orienteers will. I'm bettin' on that to impact the world's productivity. :)

I could just see the data being added to actuarial tables with insurance companies giving lifetime geocacher discounts... :) At least for car insurance... :)

I fear that any gains from increased depth perception would be obliterated by the hordes of cachers who are fiddling with the GPSr while driving (note to self - cut that out!), and this is compounded when the said cacher is streaking towards an FTF, calling home for more info and loading co-ords into the nuvi!

I could just see the data being added to actuarial tables with insurance companies giving lifetime geocacher discounts... :D At least for car insurance... :)

I fear that any gains from increased depth perception would be obliterated by the hordes of cachers who are fiddling with the GPSr while driving (note to self - cut that out!), and this is compounded when the said cacher is streaking towards an FTF, calling home for more info and loading co-ords into the nuvi!

DOH! :laughing::):):)

Every generation will have a slightly different skill set than any other.

Also, the children will follow the parents lead and develop skills at a much earlier age than if they waited until adulthood. Children of dance and gymnastic teachers are probably more graceful. Children of avid hunters or gun enthusiasts probably will be better shots. Children of English teachers might the ones that you go to for correct spelling or grammar.

Oh I dunno, My dad taut english and it was always my worstest subject in school.

I'm definitely there. I bought a bunch of Lock n Locks to use as cache containers, but when I saw how well they fare outside compared to other types of food storage containers I decided to keep some for their intended use :)

:D Perhaps they will recognize the inherent superiority of Lock n Locks over gladware

:D Perhaps they will recognize the inherent superiority of Lock n Locks over gladware, if not, perhaps they will be better able to find tupperware in the hidden recesses of the refrigirator before the food goes bad!

Maybe our grandchildren or great grandchildren will develope a greater resistance to or immunity from poisonous plants, West Nile Virus & Lyme Disease. :grin::D

:blink: Perhaps they will recognize the inherent superiority of Lock n Locks over gladware, if not, perhaps they will be better able to find tupperware in the hidden recesses of the refrigirator before the food goes bad!

Maybe our grandchildren or great grandchildren will develope a greater resistance to or immunity from poisonous plants, West Nile Virus & Lyme Disease. :grin::D

Only if your exposure is pre-reproduction. Once you have reproduced, all you can pass on is knowledge.

:D

:P Perhaps they will recognize the inherent superiority of Lock n Locks over gladware, if not, perhaps they will be better able to find tupperware in the hidden recesses of the refrigirator before the food goes bad!

Maybe our grandchildren or great grandchildren will develope a greater resistance to or immunity from poisonous plants, West Nile Virus & Lyme Disease. :D:D

Only if your exposure is pre-reproduction. Once you have reproduced, all you can pass on is knowledge.

;)

A doctor once told me the P.I. rash I got on my right forearm looked worse than pictures he'd seen of severe radiation burns. He was certain that it would become systemic and possibly do serious internal damage or worse. :blink:;)

I don't go to that doctor anymore. :grin:

Soooo, maybe my son will be more resistant. I was as a child. Not so much as an adult.