The Travel Bug

sequens vitae mortem

I tried looking this up through google and on geocaching.com, but I couldn't find the answers to some questions that I was just curious about:

1. When did the idea of the travel bug come up. (When was it "invented")

2. Who came up with the idea?

3. What was the first travel bug like? I'll take any information on it . . . Goals, mileage, etc.

Thanks to anyone who may know this . . . I'm just curious!

I tried looking this up through google and on geocaching.com, but I couldn't find the answers to some questions that I was just curious about:

3. What was the first travel bug like? I'll take any information on it . . . Goals, mileage, etc.

There have been a couple (not many) similar threads. I don't think you'll ever trace the first TB though, people just came up with the idea of making "homemade travelers" on their own early on in the game. You may be able to find a really really old thread where it was discussed in these forums, but this website didn't come along until about 3 months after Geocaching was invented, and I'm sure it was several months before these forums became functional.

Early travel bugs are actually easy to look up. TB1 is, you guessed it, the first Travel Bug dog tag, and it's owned by the CEO of Groundspeak.

TB6 one of the last logs talks about how some of the first TB dog tags were sold at a Geocaching Event in Virginia before the official release on the website. I'll guestimate TB dog tags, as sold to the general public on Gecaching.com, appeared in the fall of 2001.

Now if you want to talk Geocoins, that's easy. I think it's safe to say that Moun10Bike, an early Geocaching pioneer from the Pacific NW who later went on to become a Groundspeak employee, invented the Geocoin. :)

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

You still around and watching this thread? Apparently Moun10Bike invented the travel bug too. Or should I say the first early unofficial travelers, or "hitchhikers". This is copied from his Profile

One of the items I placed in that cache was a lawn ornament in the shape of a frog that I called the "Stash Hopper". I wrote a note in permanent marker on his base instructing people who found him to move him along to another cache. The idea of these moving objects called "hitchhikers" had been discussed in geocaching forums, but the Stash Hopper was the first known hitchhiker to be put into play. It was an idea that I had had in my head since reading Holling C. Holling's "Paddle to the Sea" as a young child.