UTM help

linuxxpert

Hello,

I've found some coordinates in this format: 18N4520492424491 I know that these are in some sort of UTM format but I can't find any guidance on how to separate the numbers into Northern and Eastern to put them into online converters. Any help would be greatly appreciated. A link to an online converter would be even better.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by linuxxpert
I've found some coordinates in this format: 18N4520492424491 I know that these are in some sort of UTM format but I can't find any guidance on how to separate the numbers into Northern and Eastern to put them into online converters. Any help would be greatly appreciated a link to an online converter would be even better.

I don't know of any online converter that works without the spaces, but there should be always 6 digits of easting followed by 7 digits of northing.

Thus, your example would be:

18N E 452049 N 2424491

But unfortunately that is not a valid UTM coordinate, because given the northing it should actually be 18Q. So perhaps in your format the northing comes first, and the coordinates would be in standard UTM:

18T E 424491 N 4520492

which translates to

N 40 49.919, W 75 53.733

If I were you, I would use a text editor (like sed) to rearrange them; or, if you want, I will whip you up a Python script to turn them into lat/lon.

I've found some coordinates in this format: 18N4520492424491 I know that these are in some sort of UTM format but I can't find any guidance on how to separate the numbers into Northern and Eastern to put them into online converters. Any help would be greatly appreciated a link to an online converter would be even better.

I don't know of any online converter that works without the spaces, but there should be always 6 digits of easting followed by 7 digits of northing.

Thus, your example would be:

18N E 452049 N 2424491

But unfortunately that is not a valid UTM coordinate, because given the northing it should actually be 18Q. So perhaps in your format the northing comes first, and the coordinates would be in standard UTM:

18T E 424491 N 4520492

which translates to

N 40 49.919, W 75 53.733

If I were you, I would use a text editor (like sed) to rearrange them; or, if you want, I will whip you up a Python script to turn them into lat/lon.

Wow! That seems to be correct! Thank you so much. No script necessary, but thanks anyways.