Monthly Photo Competition

It should really be open to all nationalities......but perhaps limited to UK and Ireland caches ? :) (to differentiate it from any similar threads on t'other bit of the forums)

I second this suggestion.

I would agree too. Keeps the focus within the focus of the forum. Great shots being posted. It is going to be tough to decide.

Just a reminder, the closing date for the competition is 30th Jan - after which mtn-man will be judging it. No idea what time this will be, so I'd suggest that if you haven't entered your photo by tonight - save it till next month.

The rules have - again - been slightly amended to include various good ideas.

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

2) Two photos per cacher per month.

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

This is obviously the first month of the competition and the rules have been a work in progress. So, I don't think anyone need hold their breath until they are sick if some of the entries don't exactly comply with all of the rules......

Is October going back too far? If not here's one from GCXH1R (which I recently mentioned in another thread);

ffe11545-faa4-45be-be9f-f0b54a387e9e.jpg

Incidentally, if you're not sure of where to upload to, you can just add a photo to any cache (for instance, upload it to one of your own caches, or upload a photo to one of your recent cache logs). Then, once you've copied the link to the photo you can delete it. Photos don't actually delete from the system, they just become invisible unless you have a direct link to them.

Just a reminder, the closing date for the competition is 30th Jan - after which mtn-man will be judging it. No idea what time this will be, so I'd suggest that if you haven't entered your photo by tonight - save it till next month.

Midnight tonight London Time (I love the world clock function on my iPod Touch)

OK, let me say something first. I am sort of a photo critic in a way and look at a lot of different things when looking at photos. I am very critical of my own stuff, for example. I've learned a lot from my brother, who is a pro. I post a lot of pictures to my web site, but only some really are exceptional in my eyes. Lots of that depends on pure luck. It is all about being in the right place at the right time with the right light and a good eye and a measure of patience. A good camera doesn't hurt.

All of the photos posted are really great (sorry, maybe not the poop). This was tough, but there were some that really rose to the top of the group. My two favorites carry a similar theme, use of reflection and razor sharp focus.

It is very close, but the winner this month stands out for the scene, colour, use of foreground and the composition. A shot anyone would be proud to hang in their house.

1. Happy Humphrey (post #109), just wow...

ffe11545-faa4-45be-be9f-f0b54a387e9e.jpg

2. d-dixon does a great job on a close second (post #95), being in the spot where the snow still sticks to the trees, but the lake is not frozen at all and is glassy smooth yielding an awesome photo. The deep blue sky in the lake is awesome. Perfect balance and the tops of the trees are not cut off at the top or the bottom.

3f5538bf-acb1-4fe7-9e0b-f69ee588609a.jpg

3. Nick and Ali (post #69) get kudos for outstanding use of night lighting, one of my particular favorites. It is very difficult to get night shots to come out right and require a tripod and several shots. The cloud cover adds great depth to this shot. Outstanding work.

4256774889_5f5eed0a00.jpg

Honourable mentions:

Negative lighting yields spectacular results. Great work using the bright reflections off of the water from gushoneybun (post #70) and the outstanding capture of sun rays in the sunset with the winter tree for foreground character by keehotee (post #112). keehotee's shot give Nick and Ali's shot a run for their money.

4316089069_b3a2178d95.jpg

0ea895e2-02d4-49e9-97a1-733845705277.jpg

Djinnsplace's rock cairn photo (post #44)and ZoomLens' ocean shot (post #40) are also beautiful. So difficult to photograph wildlife, great shots of the birds. I also like markandlynn sort of recreating the feel of their avatar in shadows.

I really look forward to seeing other great photos in the coming months.

Well done to Happy Humphrey :D

and thanks to mtn-man for doing the judging and making thoughtful comment.

I really enjoyed seeing all the photographs and I look forward to the next round.

Slightly off-topic, for anyone who enjoys great pics, while waiting for the next month's thread to start, you might like to look at the selection below...

"Photographic Interlude".

MrsB

Excellent winner - I'd agree wholeheartedly with the critique too.

Isn't it amazing what a small change of position can do - the spot of 'Britain's favourite view' is only a couple of hundred yards away. But a slightly different angle and the stones in the lake in the foreground make for a less formulaic, cliched shot. And you've captured the colours of the bracken just turning beautifully.

I love it!

Excellent winner - I'd agree wholeheartedly with the critique too.

Isn't it amazing what a small change of position can do - the spot of 'Britain's favourite view' is only a couple of hundred yards away. But a slightly different angle and the stones in the lake in the foreground make for a less formulaic, cliched shot. And you've captured the colours of the bracken just turning beautifully.

I love it!

Thank you :D ...and I wasn't aware of "Britain's favourite view" until you pointed that out!