Monthly Photo Competition

Another forum I visit does a similiar photo competition, here are the rules they follow:

General Rules of POTW (Photo of the week)

* A voting thread will be posted with all pictures in and people will be able to vote for their top three pictures from the selection until the advertised closing date.

* Points are awarded as follows: 1st Place: 5 Points, 2nd Place: 3 Points, 3rd Place: 1 Point. In the event of two entries receiving the same number of points, the number of 1st place votes will decide the winner.

* The winner will then host the competition for the following week.

Format for Submissions

Submitted pictures must be 200kb or less and 800 pixels max on the longest edge (including any frames). Panoramics will be accepted as long as the combined width and height are no greater than 1400 pixels.

Edit: Found some further information....

In the event of two entries receiving the same number of points, the number of first place votes will decide the winner.

You may vote only once and may not vote for yourself.

Any forums members can vote - you don't have to have entered!

I think some of the above will over complicate something which is just a bit of fun. The easier it is, the more people (hopefully) will enter.

I don't think we'll gain anything by debating this to death, so what about the following;

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a link(s) to the cache(s) in the post.

2) Two photos per cacher per month.

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. (Am I starting to over complicate things??? :lol: )

Right, it's 4.30am and I need to get ready for work. 6 rules are enough I think. If most people are agreeable, we'll make this thread the January competition. I will make the executive decision that it finishes on the 30th Jan. :D

Mtn_man - can I put you on the spot and ask you to judge it, if you are free around the 30th? :P

Edited by Nick & Ali

Another forum I visit does a similiar photo competition, here are the rules they follow:

General Rules of POTW (Photo of the week)

* A voting thread will be posted with all pictures in and people will be able to vote for their top three pictures from the selection until the advertised closing date.

* Points are awarded as follows: 1st Place: 5 Points, 2nd Place: 3 Points, 3rd Place: 1 Point. In the event of two entries receiving the same number of points, the number of 1st place votes will decide the winner.

* The winner will then host the competition for the following week.

Format for Submissions

Submitted pictures must be 200kb or less and 800 pixels max on the longest edge (including any frames). Panoramics will be accepted as long as the combined width and height are no greater than 1400 pixels.

Edit: Found some further information....

In the event of two entries receiving the same number of points, the number of first place votes will decide the winner.

You may vote only once and may not vote for yourself.

Any forums members can vote - you don't have to have entered!

I think some of the above will over complicate something which is just a bit of fun. The easier it is, the more people (hopefully) will enter.

I don't think we'll gain anything by debating this to death, so what about the following;

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a link(s) to the cache(s) in the post.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. (Am I starting to over complicate things??? :P )

Right, it's 4.30am and I need to get ready for work. 6 rules are enough I think. If most people are agreeable, we'll make this thread the January competition. I will make the executive decision that it finishes on the 30th Jan. :(

Mtn_man - can I put you on the spot and ask you to judge it, if you are free around the 30th? :D

Good man (not that anything ever gets over debated on here :lol: ) ill submit another one in due course.

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. (Am I starting to over complicate things??? :D )

That's a good set to go with. I think voting would over-complicate things, especially as its just a bit of fun.

Rule 1 does kind of disqualify my entry though :lol:, as I'll not be getting a cache out with snow lying around (why encourage a muggling?), so the new cache won't be out this month.

Can I just add that if the previous winner hasn't started a new post within a week, then someone else can start it off, after giving the previous winner a nudge or three. :( Otherwise its likely to die off.

And hasn't MrsB been volunteered as the first judge already? :P

Ahhhh, did fast reply, no little tree! Found it, fingers crossed got it right this time....

073e4dd8-7e8d-479d-9551-6731024af323.jpg

Oh btw it's near my cache Roman Villa which I was checking up on last week....not much caching getting done by me at the moment, although we have a big melt on today, yey!

Edited by emgi

Just as an idea for future months to keep it fresh, how about a theme each month? Could be fairly random - dogs, insects, micros, could be seasonal - snow for january, Hearts and flowers for february, or the previous month's winner could pick the next theme.

Might be an idea to prevent things from getting a bit samey and even from the same few winning each time.

I thought of that, but to take some of your examples; Most years if you're in the South, you would struggle to get snow pictures. Dog owners would find it easier to get pictures than non-dog owners.

You might be right about it getting a bit samey and having the same winners though.........(I've underlined the changes taking into account recent suggestions).

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

I think that will about do it. Too many rules and regulations, and we'll scare people off.

Yes its probably an 'Old Chestnut', but how does one upload/download a photo onto this forum without setting up albums that everyone can see on the net somewhere, where do you get a URL from, putting them on cache logs is so easy it seems in comparison. :P:):)

My easy way around that is to upload a photograph that I want to put into a forum post into a cache log of one of our Archived caches.

Once you have it added into a cache log you can then click on the link under the log itself (where it says View/Edit logs/images) and click on the photograph to open it. This will then give you the URL of that photograph on the geocaching.com site. (e.g. http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/0cb53c...69426c7a50.jpg)

To then put that photo into a post here...

Open up the reply box, click on the little tree icon, (box pops up), copy and paste that URL into the little box, Click OK... That puts the URL detail into your forum post. You can then check to see if it has worked by previewing your post... before posting.

MrsB

Where do you put photos if you dont have an archived cache? as I have some photos that I want to put on the forum.

Thanks in advance

Yes its probably an 'Old Chestnut', but how does one upload/download a photo onto this forum without setting up albums that everyone can see on the net somewhere, where do you get a URL from, putting them on cache logs is so easy it seems in comparison. :P:):)

My easy way around that is to upload a photograph that I want to put into a forum post into a cache log of one of our Archived caches.

Once you have it added into a cache log you can then click on the link under the log itself (where it says View/Edit logs/images) and click on the photograph to open it. This will then give you the URL of that photograph on the geocaching.com site. (e.g. http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/0cb53c...69426c7a50.jpg)

Open up the reply box, click on the little tree icon, (box pops up), copy and paste that URL into the little box, Click OK... That puts the URL detail into your forum post. You can then check to see if it has worked by previewing your post... before posting.

MrsB

Where do you put photos if you dont have an archived cache? as I have some photos that I want to put on the forum.

Thanks in advance

As they have to link to a cache / caches / caching trip - what about the cache page? (Remember only 2 entries per cacher per month)

MrsB

Thanks in advance

As they have to link to a cache / caches / caching trip - what about the cache page? (Remember only 2 entries per cacher per month)

Oops sorry I should of mentioned that it is not for this link ( I have done that one) but a different one that I need to post a photo for that is not on a cache page.

Just thought I could kill two birds so to speak!

Yes its probably an 'Old Chestnut', but how does one upload/download a photo onto this forum without setting up albums that everyone can see on the net somewhere, where do you get a URL from, putting them on cache logs is so easy it seems in comparison. :):):P

MrsB

Thanks in advance

Oops sorry I should of mentioned that it is not for this link ( I have done that one) but a different one that I need to post a photo for that is not on a cache page.

Just thought I could kill two birds so to speak!

Er......now I'm out of my depth! :P Potentially you could start a Flickr account and put all your photos on there. Then just link to them that way.

An expert will be along shortly! :D

Edited by Nick & Ali

Thanks in advance

You can certainly load the photo to any other website such as Flickr or Picasa or a blog - anywhere where your photo link will have the format http//....... -jpg. I just like to keep my geocaching pics on the geocaching website, but that is not a requirement.

Before I knew about using the archived cache I loaded extra pictures to my profile. Not sure about the correct wording, but go Your Profile>View your account details>Change my photo/avatar>upload a new image then upload your new photo. The photo apears as a thumnail. Click on thumnail as if you want to edit it. Click on thumbnail again so that it appears fullsize (address has format http//...-jpg) and copy/paste that address as your photo link. Must say, the flickr/picasa option sounds easier than this, but it is not so bad once you figure it out.

A quick and dirty/heath robinson way of resizing photos (I tend to use 640x480 pixels) is to select photos in Internet Explorer rightclick and select send to mail recipient. This send to process does resizing (in windows XP). An email with the resized pics as attachments comes up. Select File>Save attachments and save the photos on your computer. Delete the email. I file my pictures in folders of the format Date-description eg "2010015 Geocache" and then the small pics would be saved in "20100115 Geocache small"

Edited by the pooks

With Flickr there is also a free photo editing thingey called Pinick or similar. This can be used to resize the photos.

I started a Flickr account a couple of weeks ago and there is even a group for Geocaching photos.

It's very easy to use and to set privacy levels. If I can do it - believe me, anyone can!

Edited by Nick & Ali

My two pics both taken on Wednesday 6th Jan. The pics are only about 200 yards apart but are the best from a 5 mile, very cold walk that day.

The geocaching link is that there was no cache here when we were on our walk, but coincidentally this cache was placed right next to the bridge where the robin was sitting only three days later.

We are certain this robin heard our voices and it started following us as we walked along the bridge, hopping along side of us.

robin3.jpg

These teasels looked like they'd pulled on woolly hats to keep the cold off.

9f3ed4b5-1aee-48c5-babb-e5af2df14b9e.jpg

Bit of a dump as we're now more than half way through January.

Mtn-man has kindly agreed to be the judge this month.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

I'm confused now... :ph34r::blink:

Is this the January comp, for pics taken in December? Or are you now running the comp for pics taken this month?? (wait for the rush on the last day of the month :ph34r: )

There's always one! :unsure::ph34r:

Still January, otherwise a new thread would have been started........rule 3).

Wouldn't have thought it really mattered whether they were taken in Dec or Jan.......rule 5).

As this is the first month - ie January, MM has agreed to be the judge.

The rule reminder was posted as just that - a reminder. Sorry it it got people confused.

Is this the January comp, for pics taken in December? Or are you now running the comp for pics taken this month?? (wait for the rush on the last day of the month :ph34r: )

There's always one! :ph34r:B)

Wouldn't have thought it really mattered whether they were taken in Dec or Jan.......rule 5).

The rule reminder was posted as just that - a reminder. Sorry it it got people confused.

*MrsB waves her arm to get attention*

Excuse me Mr Adjudicator, sir ... Have we got a closing date yet for this January competition? (Cos if we have, I've missed seeing it - and I'll pay more attention in future :unsure: )

There's always one! :D:D

Excuse me Mr Adjudicator, sir ... Have we got a closing date yet for this January competition? (Cos if we have, I've missed seeing it - and I'll pay more attention in future :ph34r: )

I never thought I'd live to see the day when I start saying things like - see post #53........ There is no point me getting all high and mighty and making executive decisions if people are going to ignore them!! B)

This dealing with other cachers business is harder than I thought. No wonder all the reviewers and moderators end up going round the bend. :unsure:

There's always one! :D:D

Excuse me Mr Adjudicator, sir ... Have we got a closing date yet for this January competition? (Cos if we have, I've missed seeing it - and I'll pay more attention in future B) )

I never thought I'd live to see the day when I start saying things like - see post #53........ There is no point me getting all high and mighty and making executive decisions if people are going to ignore them!! :D

This dealing with other cachers business is harder than I thought. No wonder all the reviewers and moderators end up going round the bend. :unsure:

:ph34r:

*Mrs B draws a big red circle around 30th January on her calendar*

Can I just say a big thank you to all those who are going through the painful process of trying to set up a fun competition!

And I have to say some of the photos so far posted on here are stunning....I look forward to trying to achieve something like them (p.s. snow covered teasles are getting my vote!)

me play me play me play - pleaseeeeeeeee

:)

Though I warn you, I too got a new camera which takes fantastic photos. EXCEPT I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT :anicute: . Or how to take a good photo in the first place :) .

Here are my two for this month's entry

GC1DAQ4 - TRS Parsons nose

2cdcf174-53b4-4f66-b11f-7f45f0c18db6.jpg

GCPQXG - Wrinklies Stash

Oh, looks like I've not uploaded this photo yet. Will have to do it once home tonight and edit this post.

Can I make one observation? Can recent mean the month of the comp and the month before? :huh:

Hmmm... and those robin photos... they're not nailed onto the branch, by any chance?

MrsB :ph34r:

:P

no - and not tame either otherwise I would have got it to hop over a bird bath. JOSSS hated me for these caches as I was more interested in taking photos than searching for the caches and still got my hands to them first.

Gosh a White long legged pointy beak unspotted tree duck warbler if I'm not mistaken....

or an Egret I think... we have lots in the local river here, but I can never get close enough to get a good pic.

Yes a Little Egret. There are quite a few down at the salt marshes at Keyheaven but its the 1st time we have seen one in a tree. He/she did not seem bothered by us so Wife was able to get quite close.

And no cheating by the way.........

Is photoshopping or similar cheating?

I don't have a problem with that. If it's more than the usual cropping, rotating, slight changes in exposure etc, I think you should say what you've done to alter the picture - just out of fairness.

is this open to UK and Ireland members only?

I don't have a problem with this either.

We'll go with what ever the consensus is and I'll amend the rules if necessary.