Monthly Photo Competition

I've never been particularly taken with the pub quiz and feel a bit left out not being part of a long running thread.

So, having got a new camera for Christmas - would people be interested taking part in a monthly geocaching photo competition? No idea how this would work in practice and I do know that there have been previous threads where people posted their favourite caching pictures.

Good idea / bad idea?

We used to do something like this on the GCI Forum. Everyone posted a photo that had to be taken while caching and ideally within the last month. Then the OP decided which one was his/her favourite and that person got to choose the following month. Worked quite well or a while but we have a much smaller membership so eventually petered out.

I've never been particularly taken with the pub quiz and feel a bit left out not being part of a long running thread.

So, having got a new camera for Christmas - would people be interested taking part in a monthly geocaching photo competition? No idea how this would work in practice and I do know that there have been previous threads where people posted their favourite caching pictures.

Good idea / bad idea?

I like it - the winners could then be put into a GAGB calendar for 2011...

We used to do something like this on the GCI Forum. Everyone posted a photo that had to be taken while caching and ideally within the last month. Then the OP decided which one was his/her favourite and that person got to choose the following month. Worked quite well or a while but we have a much smaller membership so eventually petered out.

Sounds a good scheme.

Good idea / bad idea?

I like it - the winners could then be put into a GAGB calendar for 2011...

Sounds a good scheme.

But it will need more than 3 of us...........

Think it's a great idea and I think lots of cachers would be interested in something like this.

Not sure if a forum thread is a good way to run it though - might be easier if the photos are hosted on a seperate site for ease of viewing?

Edited by *mouse*

I'll play.

(Not because I have brilliant photos, just because I know we took quite a lot last month! :) )

Do we just put up a few pics from the previous month's caching? Maybe be with a couple of sentences of details? If it's going to be one of those competitions where you have to quote exposures and f stops and things it'll be quite beyond me :) . I think it would be interesting just to see the variety of caching-related photographs.

MrsB

To get the Ball Rolling, here's an entry.

Castle2.jpg

This is not actually from a caching trip. However, there's likely to be a cache going out at the location the photo was taken from soon, to replace the recently archived MiniG cache nearby.

We walked across Kendal yesterday afternoon, getting some photos as we went. This little hill is somewhere I've been meaning to go up for years. Maybe the brambles being covered with snow made it a little more inviting. But well worth it. I think there's a couple of possible hiding spots too.

In case you are wondering, its Kendal Castle with the ridgeline of Benson Knott behind.

It's towards the extreme end of the zoom on my camera, handheld whilst trying to stop the pushchair rolling down the hill, so its not as sharp as it could be.

Every time I glance at the topic of this thread my brain keeps reading "Monty Python..." MrsB :D

That shows a very creative mind........

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have our judge - MrsB, step forwards and take a bow!

ooooooooo no, no, no! I want to be able to put piccies up too! :)

Here's a couple from last month taken on St Agnes Beacon, Cornwall, location of the "Boxing Day on the Beacon" event...

"When shall we three meet again?..."

0cb53c55-7cae-4757-a2f3-0769426c7a50.jpg

Gathering the forces of Nature were DrDick&Vick, Sarlander and mavrickandgoose...

then the hail started...

22c71b90-1f2b-46e5-933c-50962cc29646.jpg

MrB battling the elements armed only with a brolly.

MrsB

Yes its probably an 'Old Chestnut', but how does one upload/download a photo onto this forum without setting up albums that everyone can see on the net somewhere, where do you get a URL from, putting them on cache logs is so easy it seems in comparison. :):D:huh:

My easy way around that is to upload a photograph that I want to put into a forum post into a cache log of one of our Archived caches.

Once you have it added into a cache log you can then click on the link under the log itself (where it says View/Edit logs/images) and click on the photograph to open it. This will then give you the URL of that photograph on the geocaching.com site. (e.g. http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/0cb53c...69426c7a50.jpg)

To then put that photo into a post here...

Open up the reply box, click on the little tree icon, (box pops up), copy and paste that URL into the little box, Click OK... That puts the URL detail into your forum post. You can then check to see if it has worked by previewing your post... before posting.

MrsB

What about the following? It's puts together some of the ideas from above;

I think the photos should be posted on this thread or a new thread created each month (started by the winner of that month). I can see the thoughts behind a separate site, but as has been mentioned, lots of those go by the wayside through lack of interest, money etc.

The photos have got to be cache related and linked to a cache. That way you could just load it up on the cache page as normal and bobs your uncle - you have the URL. That doesn't mean you can't take pics on the way to or from the cache site. I'm sure the cache owner wouldn't mind as you'd be publicising their cache either way.

One entry per cacher each month. That means for example - MrB and MrsB could enter a picture each, each month. (We don't want to be the cause of any rows in caching households.)

The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month. They would also give the dates between which the photos are submitted for the month they are about to judge. Does that make sense?

The photo submitted doesn't necessarily have to be taken that month or the previous month.

The competition is just for fun. All rules are flexible and the decision of the judge will be final and no correspondence will be entered into............

Happy Humphrey, HazelS, and Haggis Hunter have kindly offered to donate a new Nikon dSLR for the winner of each month.

(That last bits a lie)

Happy Humphrey, HazelS, and Haggis Hunter have kindly offered to donate a new Nikon dSLR for the winner of each month.

(That last bits a lie)

Nick seems to have an overactive imagination...... LOL LOL LOL I'd gladly play, but there's so many award winning photographers on here that I'm afraid they'll laugh at my pictures taken on my Nokia N95!!!

...they'll laugh at my pictures taken on my Nokia N95!!!

I wouldn't worry about that! I'd like to think that the atmosphere & fun would overide 'quality' I've got some photos of sunsets at Arnside recently using a 3MP camera phone - I'll have to upload some to our cache page. Whilst the quality is pants, they've captured the changing colours & shadows really well. Maybe look out for unusual angles etc?

Nick seems to have an overactive imagination...... LOL LOL LOL I'd gladly play, but there's so many award winning photographers on here that I'm afraid they'll laugh at my pictures taken on my Nokia N95!!!

I wouldn't worry about that! I'd like to think that the atmosphere & fun would overide 'quality' ...

Ditto what he said :D

I'll just be happy to see everyone's pics of happy cachers, nice scenery, cityscapes, animals... whatever.

Anything we submit will be from a simple Panasonic DMC-TZ5 (Yes, I had to read that off my camera :) )

I'm not in it to win that lovely new Nikon - Honest! :huh:

MrsB

I'm not in it to win that lovely new Nikon - Honest! :D

Anyone know someone in Marketing at Nikon, Canon or Olympus? :D Or even Sigma? - great way to enhance their visibility. (I Want One of the new SD15s)

As for decent photos - my daughter has a 1997 (!) Canon VGA camera. Its got next to no delay between pressing the shutter button and the photo being taken. That's quite important for a child's camera. She's taken some good shots with it. Printing any bigger than a stamp is problematic though. :grin:

Here's an 'abstract' from our own, slightly elusive cache "Piering at seals".

0df7a4b5-3f65-4e3a-8792-54a5ef73ef69.jpg

"The photographer has tried to encapsulate the geocache hunter's inner turmoil as they try to unravel the conundrum of the hiding place. They are captured by confusion, but unable to release their quarry and walk away it, thus allowing it to remain free as the wild mackerel in the sea. The twisting of blues, greens yellows and browns are an interpretation of the curling waves over sands and granite headlands, evoking the Cornish coastal scenery that attracts and holds fast the shoals of visitors every year."

:grin:

(Did I sound convincing there?)

:D

MrsB

15d2ab9c-deeb-440a-8377-4489de64a55a.jpg

Hopefully that has worked using the 'Blorenge' tip above. This is a quick shot taken at Turville where they filmed part of Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, The Vicar of Dibley and also 'Went the Day Well' after which the cache is called. Great cache and a lovely place to visit.

Now to see if it worked.................................... :grin::D:D

Not right on size though, where has one gone wrong....................???

Edited by Gralorn

15d2ab9c-deeb-440a-8377-4489de64a55a.jpg

Hopefully that has worked using the 'Blorenge' tip above. This is a quick shot taken at Turville where they filmed part of Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang, The Vicar of Dibley and also 'Went the Day Well' after which the cache is called. Great cache and a lovely place to visit.

Now to see if it worked.................................... :grin::D:D

Not right on size though, where has one gone wrong....................???

You're using FF, aren't you?

When you look at your log on the cache page you see the 4 small images underneath it. Don't copy the URL from those small images.

You must click on the link 'View this Log', then from your selection of images on the right you need to left click on the one you need. This will make it open on a separate tab, in its full size... then copy the URL from the top of that tab... and you should get

7bdf34e3-3d1c-497f-8868-3408dc2390ed.jpg

MrsB

Edited to add: This is stretching the limits of my technical expertise (Ho ho ho). If it doesn't work larger next time, Gralorn, then it's time to hand you over to the experts for better instructions!

Edited by The Blorenges

One thing...

The photos have got to be cache related and linked to a cache. That way you could just load it up on the cache page as normal and bobs your uncle - you have the URL. That doesn't mean you can't take pics on the way to or from the cache site. I'm sure the cache owner wouldn't mind as you'd be publicising their cache either way.

I would say that this is a must as well. Since this is a geocaching site, photos from caches are what would need to be posted. These will be fun to follow.

I would suggest a new topic per month. Eventually it will be hard to figure out which contest period is which. I don't mind a new topic per month to help sort it out. Post the rules over and over again in the first post so they don't get diluted. Make sense?

We have done very little caching over the last month due to the weather and the fact that there have been very few new caches placed anywhere near us but we visited some of our own for maintenance purposes,this pic is at our cache GC12QHR.

I hope this is within the rules.

This picture was taken with a Pentax Optio class 8 waterproof camera which amongst other tasks can be used for underwater photography,the reason I bought this one was that I have ruined previous cameras when they became internally damp with use in foul weather on the Fells,the Opti has stood up to everything thrown at it.

978cfc32-53bc-499b-8b9f-dbba82ffd65c.jpg

Yay, I love a good caching pic.

The only comment I have is that I'd love to see the rule that the picture must have been taken that month.

That way you would have a comparison of weather/landscape across the country (or world if there is international interest) as the competition progresses month by month.

Cheers.

Fi

The only comment I have is that I'd love to see the rule that the picture must have been taken that month.

That way you would have a comparison of weather/landscape across the country (or world if there is international interest) as the competition progresses month by month.

Cheers.

Fi

Yes, I tend to agree with this.

Or, perhaps, taken during the previous calendar month i.e. Photos being sumbitted for January must have been taken during December. I like the idea of keeping the pics fairly recent and "seasonal".

MrsB

Cheers.

Fi

Yes, I tend to agree with this.

Or, perhaps, taken during the previous calendar month i.e. Photos being sumbitted for January must have been taken during December. I like the idea of keeping the pics fairly recent and "seasonal".

MrsB

Photo taken whilst out caching.

Competition starts 1st of month, for photos taken previous month. ie 1st feb to post jan photos.

How's that sound?

Another forum I visit does a similiar photo competition, here are the rules they follow:

General Rules of POTW (Photo of the week)

* A voting thread will be posted with all pictures in and people will be able to vote for their top three pictures from the selection until the advertised closing date.

* Points are awarded as follows: 1st Place: 5 Points, 2nd Place: 3 Points, 3rd Place: 1 Point. In the event of two entries receiving the same number of points, the number of 1st place votes will decide the winner.

* The winner will then host the competition for the following week.

Format for Submissions

Submitted pictures must be 200kb or less and 800 pixels max on the longest edge (including any frames). Panoramics will be accepted as long as the combined width and height are no greater than 1400 pixels.

Edit: Found some further information....

In the event of two entries receiving the same number of points, the number of first place votes will decide the winner.

You may vote only once and may not vote for yourself.

Any forums members can vote - you don't have to have entered!

Edited by aliandtone