The three peaks.....tracks or waypoints needed.

uk89camaro

Hi folks,

A friend of mine is doing a charity run of the three peaks in 24 Hours. That's the Snowdon, Scafell, Ben Nevis. I can't find any freebie routes or tracks to use on a GPS. Anybody got the necessary, or can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Stuey did it last year - you could PM him and ask??

Would you not be better getting the OS Maps out and plotting the routes yourselves? That way you'll be much more familiar with the route in advance and therefore much less likely to get positionally challenged. There have been a few cases of 3 peakers pulled off Scafell Pike (Or what they THOUGHT was Scafell Pike) because they weren't fully prepared and didn't actually KNOW the route.

Its a bit like copying your mates work at school. It seems easier, but in the long run the information never gets into your head.

By all means, use the routes others have sent you, but only as a guide. Plan your own route.

I've not climbed Ben Nevis, but the other two do have pretty obvious paths. But if the Weather changes (and it can, VERY quickly!), you can easily lose the path. Particularly the final drag up Scafell Pike. One wrong step is a broken ankle up there.

Would you not be better getting the OS Maps out and plotting the routes yourselves? That way you'll be much more familiar with the route in advance and therefore much less likely to get positionally challenged. There have been a few cases of 3 peakers pulled off Scafell Pike (Or what they THOUGHT was Scafell Pike) because they weren't fully prepared and didn't actually KNOW the route.

Its a bit like copying your mates work at school. It seems easier, but in the long run the information never gets into your head.

By all means, use the routes others have sent you, but only as a guide. Plan your own route.

I've not climbed Ben Nevis, but the other two do have pretty obvious paths. But if the Weather changes (and it can, VERY quickly!), you can easily lose the path. Particularly the final drag up Scafell Pike. One wrong step is a broken ankle up there.

Very true, I'd rather assumed the OP was asking in the context of looking for something additional to OS maps and some forward planning.

You can get GPS waypoints from a few sources which are helpful (in the case of Ben Nevis the path zig-zags back and forth several times, and waypoints mark each time it abruptly changes direction). A track log is obviously more helpful than a bunch of specific points but needless to say nothing beats the pre-planning of seeing the route on the map, maybe looking at Google satellite maps, and being prepared.