Would this be very gauche?

Atropos3

I've thought about printing up (or having printed) some neat swag with my logo on it to leave in caches in addition to the usual tradables. Stickers, bookmarks, that sort of thing. My way of says "Hey! I was here!" Is that tacky?

If tacky stuff were not found inside geocache containers, about 3/4 of the caches would only contain a pencil and a logbook.

In this game, there is no definition of tacky and even if there were, it would make zero difference. Each of us must decide what to place into a cache container. The quality of which will vary into infinity. The only issue is that it comply with the cache hiding guidelines. And like many other issues, even that gets squishy in here.

Edited by Team Cotati

I collect any sig idem that I don't already have. I have several sig cards that are printed on business card stock that I've collected out of caches. Stickers and other types that you mentioned would to cool to find also.

Another thought for you. I've printed out log books for our caches using our avatar (to the right here) as a cover sheet. Adds a personal touch to our caches. So keep that in mind next time you place a cache.

Stickers, bookmarks, that sort of thing. My way of says "Hey! I was here!" Is that tacky?

You still sign the logbook, so what is the purpose of leaving a signature item in the cache. Pure vanity or is there a deeper reason behind which I just don't get?

GermanSailor

the best reason to leave a signature item is that other people associate it with you, and to many of us, each of you is collectible. i am never happier than when i open a cache and find somebody's excitingly chunky signature item.

Stickers, bookmarks, that sort of thing. My way of says "Hey! I was here!" Is that tacky?

You still sign the logbook, so what is the purpose of leaving a signature item in the cache. Pure vanity or is there a deeper reason behind which I just don't get?

GermanSailor

Signature items are cool to collect. They aren't put in the caches to signal that you were there as much as they are put there as a gift to any cacher that opes the cache after you.

I collect signature items when I come across them (unless they are a soggy business card) and leave my new signature item in any cache large enough.

It's just an added aspect of the game hobby.

Some sig items are quite prized and to find one is the highlight of some cachers day. Imagine finding a sig item in a local cache that was left there by someone caching on a visit from thousands of miles away. How cool would that be?

We love finding signature items in caches. Homemade items are my favorites to come across but they're all nice to find if they are personalized in some way. Business type cards are great as long as they are personally made and geocaching related. To the OP, we enjoy finding and collecting items like you're thinking about in caches!

Edited by Mudfrog

Lots of cachers near me do that very thing. While I can't say that I have ever taken someones sig item, I can say that when I find a cache, I usually look closely through its contents. Its interesting to see what people leave as sig items. I'm still trying to come up with the perfect item for myself to use.

I printed up a bunch of cards, then hole-punched them and tied a ribbon to that. Attatched to the ribbon is a small charm with Swarovski crystals (which are much much cheaper than people are lead to belive) in the Geocaching colors. It's my hope that I'll see one on a bracelet or a necklace some day. I haven't been caching in a while because of the cold and now I'm sick but I hope to be placing them again soon.

It is called a "signature item" and is very popular.

Popular to leave.

Unpopular to take.

That's why you see so many of 'em. Nobody takes them out of caches, because nobody wants 'em. Am I going to drop somebody else's signature item in the next cache I visit? Nooooo. If I pick it up, it must because I want to take it and keep it - which happens roughly never.

Edited by Viajero Perdido

I used business card stock to print out a 2 sided signature card that is 100% geocaching related. Then I bought bulk packs of business card heat laminates and laminated the business cards so they can survive a wet environment. I leave one in any cache that's big enough.

Why? Who wants that? Just sign the log.

Am I going to drop somebody else's signature item in the next cache I visit? Nooooo.

I do. I hardly ever keep sig items, moving them sometimes hundreds of miles, and making a note when I take or drop one. It's like a trackable item, without all the fuss and expense -- sure beats buying a nice coin and getting it "lost".

In answer to the OP, yes, make some interesting signature items, and place them where you like. Some people have vast collections of them (business cards, too). It’s not everyone’s thing, just another fun facet of the game.

I kept a Sig Item from a geocacher called "Rebel", who must have been quite a character. Someone I think I'd have liked to meet: http://ggaonline.org/groupee_files/attachm...09_enhanced.pdf

I like your logo!

Edited by kunarion

Popular to leave.

Unpopular to take.

That's why you see so many of 'em. Nobody takes them out of caches, because nobody wants 'em. Am I going to drop somebody else's signature item in the next cache I visit? Nooooo. If I pick it up, it must because I want to take it and keep it - which happens roughly never.

Maybe it's a regional thing, but there are a lot of people, myself included, that like to pick them up and keep them. The signature cards, coins and other trinkets are pretty much the only thing I ever trade for.

Popular to leave.

Unpopular to take.

I know of lots of people who collect signature items, so to call it "unpopular" and say that "nobody wants 'em" is wildly inaccurate.

Some people have even created online galleries of the sig items they've collected.

Edited by Too Tall John

If it's a paper item I'd laminate it. I don't personally collect the paper sig items but they're interesting to see. I'll collect the occasional sig item. Definitely wooden nickels and pathtags. A little pottery turtle w the cacher's name on the back. Others I've seen and admired but not collected include shells and polished stones w cacher names on them. Ignore the people who don't enjoy looking at or collecting sig items. Many of us love to check out and trade for cache contents of all types :ph34r:

Edited by Opalblade

I was considering purchasing some magnets. The cost is relatively inexpensive as long as you buy in bulk. They are business card sized or maybe a little larger but are personalized. The one I really like would have 2 photos (of landmarks from my city), the saying "Exploring the world, one cache at a time" , my code name and my hometown. Does this sound like something people would want to take with them? The magnets are vinal so they shouldn't have moisture issues either. Please let me know what you think before I purchase them. Thanks!

Popular to leave.

Unpopular to take.

I know of lots of people who collect signature items, so to call it "unpopular" and say that "nobody wants 'em" is wildly inaccurate.

Some people have even created online galleries of the sig items they've collected.

I will have to heartily agree. I do enjoy taking signature cards and other items and will often move them to other caches. I've kept a large collection of cards with geocachers handles on them. I attache magnets to them and have many of them attached to my storage cabinets. Not odd at all.

As always, your mileage may vary. If you don't collect them, don't take them.

Wooden nickels, business cards, customized poker chips are all common trade items.

I personally don't care for the marbles, golf balls and polished rocks I find.

Customize something that shows YOUR personality or creativity. Good idea to make it water resistant if not waterproof.

Magnets are a good thing to use.

I agree with most of the above posts - that it's fun to see and take sig items! One of my favorite items is a magnet left by a geocache owner whose caches were very challenging - when we found it in another cache, we took it to remind us of the fun we had finding her caches!

One caution - so many caches collect water, even those which are supposed to be waterproof. So you might want to be sure your sig items can withstand moisture, or put them in little zip-loc baggies you can buy in bulk at craft stores.

Oh, well I wouldn't leave a business card. Who would want that? I'm only thinking of things that have some function other than being a piece of paper with my name on it.

I have many printed items that serve as my Sigitems...In my opinion, Lamination it the greatest invention ever(OK, I'm exagerating). Most of mine serve as some sort of gamepiece that have a function also. I usually leave several in each Cache(so more than one person can pick some up). You can see the games in my profile. I've also seen people do a set of collectible cards, and also Puzzles where you need to collect a complete set to make the total image.

There are ways to make them numbered and trackable(through third party sites). If you come up with something creative, artful, functional or unique, you may find people running around after you to snap them up.

Now...where has GeoDomino been lately?? I gotta find some more of those.

How creative are you?? Write a short story, and make tiny pages(numbered) and see if people can collect the whole book.

GermanSailor

It's kind of like seeing a picture of your friend on the wall in a favorite restaurant, or something like that. I have a collection of hundreds of sigitems I have collected from all over the country. I love them, and they are the first thing I like to take from a Cache!!