Geocoin Challenge (Ongoing)

tsunrisebey

Fiancettos coin and my coin are both sitting about 40 miles from my house :blink: if they don't get moving soon, I'm goin to go nudge them along. Sorry fiancetto... I really thought that they would have moved along by now.

Aw, that's alright, it happens. That's part of the suspense, when it gets stuck somewhere. Am just glad mine made it through the postal system before the volcano dust clouds came by. Maybe I should change the name; 'don't spare the horses' sounds like I'm the baddy in an old cowboy film, lol.

My other coin is travelling with a family and last logged in at Lake Owyhee National Park.

Edited by Fianccetto

Fiancettos coin and my coin are both sitting about 40 miles from my house :laughing: if they don't get moving soon, I'm goin to go nudge them along. Sorry fiancetto... I really thought that they would have moved along by now.

Aw, that's alright, it happens. That's part of the suspense, when it gets stuck somewhere. Am just glad mine made it through the postal system before the volcano dust clouds came by. Maybe I should change the name; 'don't spare the horses' sounds like I'm the baddy in an old cowboy film, lol.

My other coin is travelling with a family and last logged in at Lake Owyhee National Park.

My coin is moving again.... I know that yours will be close behind :(

2 more coins made it to Montana :laughing: 1 from California and another from the United Kingdom.

I have 4 coins in my possession that I'll get released back into caches this 4th of July weekend.

Thanks for participating :laughing: I'll get some pictures posted here when I have them ready for release.

tsun

2 more coins made it to Montana :grin: 1 from California and another from the United Kingdom.

I have 4 coins in my possession that I'll get released back into caches this 4th of July weekend.

Thanks for participating :lol: I'll get some pictures posted here when I have them ready for release.

tsun

Thanks Tsun!

2 more coins made it to Montana :grin: 1 from California and another from the United Kingdom.

Thanks for participating :lol: I'll get some pictures posted here when I have them ready for release.

tsun

Thanks Tsun!

Congrats Fiancetto!

2 coins will hopefully be on there way following the MWGB.

Coin 1 is TB3HJB - GW VIII Cachekinz - Salmon - A Trip To The Dark Side Of The Tsun...

goal - To reach tsunrisebey in Helena, Montana, a place where everybody knows your name...and most try to forget it!

Coin 2 is TB30YG3 - Kathy's Coin - A Trip To The Tsun...

goal - To reach Helena, Montana, where men are men, and women are women, and cows are confused.

I look forward to seeing which, if either coin can reach its goal...the sparkly Kathy's Coin or the not so sparkly, cachkinz.

Thanks for an interesting challenge!

ILYK

One of the things I've noticed about this challenge is that when some of the coins are arriving in Helena, they don't have anything on the coin that indicates they are traveling to Helena, Montana to meet up with me.

The problem I'm noticing is that people are grabbing some of these coins before I can get them (and not logging them) as they still show in the cache. I think it makes it easier for the person picking up the coin to see the goal attached to the coin so at least they know not to leave it here.

There was a coin that made it all the way here and when I went to get it, it was gone. Now it's heading back up to Canada, I'm guessing the people who picked it up never bothered reading the goal on the coin page and it probably doesn't have anything attached to it stating what the goal is so it's clear.

When the coins get here, I've been swapping out their mission tags if they had one attached or adding one if they didn't so people can clearly see what needs to happen with the coin.

Most of the people in Helena know who I am and that coins are headed here and make a really great effort to put them in caches they know I live close too so I can grab them or they hold them for me. Newer cachers and travelers don't have a clue especially if there's nothing on the coin to indicate the goal.

Anyhow my point being if you're sending a coin to me, please do as much as you can to help it get here by giving it a nice traveling goal attached to it. Obviously this isn't guaranteed to work as I sent a coin back out attached to the original coin with a clear tag attached to it that both coins were headed back to the owner. The person who picked them up "separated them" because he thought they shouldn't be together (where he got that idea I don't know and he ignored my emails).

Anyhow, pick a cache of mine and make that a specific goal, those have got here the quickest (they also had goal tags attached).

Btw.... just because it shows the coin is "60 miles" away, doesn't mean it's a half hour drive for me, lol. If your coin shows up in Butte, I'm not driving over an hour to see if the coin is there <_< I work 10 hours a day at my regular job so it needs to come to Helena.

I'm working on attaching coins right now to about the 4 - 6 I have in hand now, then sending them off. I'm way behind.

Thanks again to those who have taken a chance on sending a coin. If you're coin makes it to Helena please email me and let me know!

tsun :laughing:

Yes, my coin made it to Helena, seemed to go missing for a while, and is now headed for Canada. The funny thing is that I printed the coin info sheet, laminated it, and attached the coin to it. I was hoping people would read the card and help with the goal. It may be that someone detached the info card from the coin, but it was stuck together pretty well! At least my coin will have a nice journey and may make its way back down to Helena!! It's helping to teach our 5-year-old all about geography too.

Any idea where in Canada it is heading...I live in Southern BC so we are (relitivly) near Montana so if it is heading in this direction a rescue mission could be in order! I would put on a dusty fedora, grab my bullwhip and set out to save your coin...as long as there are no snakes...I hate snakes....Indiana T.

I put out a cache hopper coin that was to go to SawMill Gulch cache. I put a tag on it stating it's goal and even the cache number. It headed north after I dropped it in a cache. I think that sometimes people are so excited to pick up a coin that they don't take time to read the goal. I always try to help the TB or coin on it's goal if I can. If not, I try to put it somewhere that someone will get it, that can help it. My coin has managed to make it to a cache in Rhode Island where it has been sitting for 2 months. The lost village of ashland GC2D8VA. I think that it may be missing because there haven't been any logs since it was dropped up. Hoping that it will show up and move towards Tsun.

Has anyone had a coin make it to tsunrisebey and have it released within the last couple weeks?

My coin Take me to Montana II was picked up by her on Aug 14th.

E-mailed her on Oct 13 and was told it would released with its new coin attached that weekend.

E-mailed her again on Oct 24th for an update and haven't received a response.

Not sure why shes held onto it so long. Experiences like this discourage me from taking part in these types of Cointest.

Has anyone had a coin make it to tsunrisebey and have it released within the last couple weeks?

My coin Take me to Montana II was picked up by her on Aug 14th.

E-mailed her on Oct 13 and was told it would released with its new coin attached that weekend.

E-mailed her again on Oct 24th for an update and haven't received a response.

Not sure why shes held onto it so long. Experiences like this discourage me from taking part in these types of Cointest.

Really?

Full disclosure here: I adopted out coins for so people could participate this very mission and I am STILL waiting to place them. This was MONTHS ago, and I'm sure the people are very frustrated with me. I wanted to really try to give the coins a fighting chance to get to MT, and then the pressures of academic deadlines fell, and fell hard. Am I proud? No. Would I much rather have been geocaching and placing trackables for people? Absolutely! Why didn't I just drop everything and geocache all the time? Well, treat this like a Mab Lib and insert any life event ________________here_________________________.

Other than activating a geocoin, you've risked NOTHING in this cointest. The rewards here are that you get to watch a coin travel AND possibly receive a second coin in return. We all know how often trackables go missing. I think it's pretty awesome that your coin made it to one of two destinations. If you wanted a mission with guarantees, perhaps some of the other missions/cointests where your coins are mailed directly to you would have been a better choice.

Enjoy the journey.

our coin made it to Tsun, who then dropped it in a cache for it's return...However, yesterday I got an e-mail from the cache owner, saying the coin was no longer in his cache...We hope whoever picked it up will log it soon, so we can see where it is... :D

Same here, but if it has gone, its no biggy. I am hoping the other one makes it to Tsun still, even tho after a trip to St Lucia it's now in Florida! (Wish that were me!)

We all know how often trackables go missing. I think it's pretty awesome that your coin made it to one of two destinations. If you wanted a mission with guarantees, perhaps some of the other missions/cointests where your coins are mailed directly to you would have been a better choice.

Enjoy the journey.

My Geocoin hasn't gone missing, only being held by the cacher that started this challenge for 2 1/2 months now.

Yes I'm thrilled that it made it to her, but in no way thought she would hold onto it for this long. Its clear by her profile that shes been caching since she picked it up and even went to Geocoinfest during that time.

I understand there are no guarantees with this type of mission, but if a cacher is going to run this type of mission they I'd expect for my coin to be re-released in a reasonable amount of time.

Does anyone else feel its ok to hold a Geocoin for 2 1/2 months for no apparent reason?

TO: tsunrisebey,

Since you won't respond to my e-mail, would you please release my Geocoin that reached you with its Cache hopper so that it can try to find its way back to me?

I understand sometimes life happens and maybe your unable to complete your part of this Challenge. If that's that the case the reasonable thing to do would be to shut down this Challenge so that people can give there Geocoins new missions. Thanks

Edited by Team kizb

Does anyone else feel its ok to hold a Geocoin for 2 1/2 months for no apparent reason?

She HAS reasons, including but not limited to the passing of one of her dogs, minting SEVERAL new geocoins and new versions of other coins, mailing them to the people who purchased them, and then tending to her REAL work and life. If you know her at all, you'll know that losing a pet is like losing a valued family member. If you follow her work, you know that her coin sells are arguably the most popular out there, and that ALL of her coins sell, which means that's a lot of mailing to do.

I appreciate your frustration, I really do. In tsun's case, there are other things going on and she deserves patience from all of us. This is supposed to be FOR FUN, and a way to get more geocoins travelling. I think you've lost a little perspective here, and your poor attitude makes people not want to host cointests like this at all. Speaking for myself, I do not want to see this mission closed.

Also, if you wanted a Cache Hopper geocoin, perhaps you should have tried to trade for it? I'm sure the coin you activated for this mission would have made an attractive trade for a tsun coin, yes?

She HAS reasons, including but not limited to the passing of one of her dogs, minting SEVERAL new geocoins and new versions of other coins, mailing them to the people who purchased them, and then tending to her REAL work and life. If you know her at all, you'll know that losing a pet is like losing a valued family member. If you follow her work, you know that her coin sells are arguably the most popular out there, and that ALL of her coins sell, which means that's a lot of mailing to do.

I appreciate your frustration, I really do. In tsun's case, there are other things going on and she deserves patience from all of us. This is supposed to be FOR FUN, and a way to get more geocoins travelling. I think you've lost a little perspective here, and your poor attitude makes people not want to host cointests like this at all. Speaking for myself, I do not want to see this mission closed.

Also, if you wanted a Cache Hopper geocoin, perhaps you should have tried to trade for it? I'm sure the coin you activated for this mission would have made an attractive trade for a tsun coin, yes?

Poor attitude? I think not.

First, how in the world would I know anything about her losing one of her dogs. I didn't.

So because shes sooo busy minting Geocoins its ok to ignore the very people that might buy her Geocoins?

It doesn't take long to attache one coin to another coin and send it on its way. As said in the last message, shes had the time to get out for some caching so I don't buy it that shes super busy like you say she is. I know if I'm swapped with work, caching is the last thing I'm doing.

Shes the one that said she was attaching a Cache Hopper couple weeks ago when she said it would be released that weekend. My coin had traveled to her not knowing which one she would attache to it.

Maybe I'm weird, but when I tell someone I'm going to do something, I do it. If something does come up beyond my control. and I can't do it, I at least contact them to explain whats going on so there not just sitting there wondering what happened, which would just be rude on my part.

I run a small business as well and if I tell my customer there item will ship today, but then I don't end up shipping it till a week later when the customer is expecting it to be at there door, do you think they'll buy from me again?

Communication is the KEY to keeping people happy.

Edited by Team kizb

Looks like mine got stuck in a Wherigo in Florida. Boy, that one went the wrong way! :(

I got a PM regarding this post of mine yesterday from Fegan, asking if they could help it out of the Wherigo in Florida. I responded, that it had actually been picked up 7/17/10, and around a month ago or so, I sent a polite email asking the current holder if they had it. No response.

Today, I was caching with my Geodad, and had just picked up Sdkonkle's Dogtag, and Tsun's cache hopper that were supposed to be attached to each other, but weren't. At least they were both in the same cache, and I knew they were supposed to be together. Hiking between caches enjoying the day. Explaining to my dad, how I knew that they were supposed to be together, and that I had an entry in this mission. We were on the subject of my coin having been held so long, and the direction(wrong) that it has gone, I had my phone beep at me. Turns out that at the EXACT time of our conversation about the coin, it got LOGGED as being dropped! How COOL, IRONIC, WEIRD is that!? :D

Maybe, as I saved SdKonkle's coin from sitting for such a long time, I was being rewarded? It did take another wrong turn, but hey, it's active!!

:D

First, how in the world would I know anything about her losing one of her dogs. I didn't.

So because shes sooo busy minting Geocoins its ok to ignore the very people that might buy her Geocoins?

It doesn't take long to attache one coin to another coin and send it on its way. As said in the last message, shes had the time to get out for some caching so I don't buy it that shes super busy like you say she is. I know if I'm swapped with work, caching is the last thing I'm doing.

Shes the one that said she was attaching a Cache Hopper couple weeks ago when she said it would be released that weekend. My coin had traveled to her not knowing which one she would attache to it.

Maybe I'm weird, but when I tell someone I'm going to do something, I do it. If something does come up beyond my control. and I can't do it, I at least contact them to explain whats going on so there not just sitting there wondering what happened, which would just be rude on my part.

I run a small business as well and if I tell my customer there item will ship today, but then I don't end up shipping it till a week later when the customer is expecting it to be at there door, do you think they'll buy from me again?

Could you throw a bigger fit?

Why don't you paint a better picture? Tell everyone that when you emailed me that I didn't even realize I had your coin and that was about 10/13 when I answered you back in email correspondence several times.

A couple of other facts: I haven't been busy minting coins, as a matter of fact the last of my coins that came in were in August. I also haven't been caching lately, last log was in September when I was in MN for GCF, so again you're wrong and it might just be I did have other things going on. Did it ever occur to you that something of a pretty big importance may have kept me from just about everything? No one on Facebook, Twitter and via email had heard from me for close to a month and had you any sense about you, you could have easily checked my profile page and saw I hadn't been logged in for weeks which is unusual for me. Geesh...

Yes, I did have your coin too long and I'm sorry about that but you knew I totally didn't realize I had it. I thought I got everyone's coins off that needed to be sent off.

I didn't get a chance to get your coin out like I had hoped, I don't exactly live in an area where I can get to a bunch of caches that easily. Not to mention life does happen and I've had other things to attend to that far outweighed getting a geocoin into a cache and which is none of your business. I'm not required to report to the forums and update my life especially when it comes to a CONTEST. It's not like I was going to steal your geocoin, trust me I have plenty.

Let's get another thing straight, you didn't BUY anything from me, you're not my customer, you are getting a coin for freakin' FREE. I don't owe you anything. However yes, I'm sure it would have been nice to know what was going on but you already knew I was looking for the coin and I was aware you wanted it moved. Sometimes you need to be patient. Again you are not a customer nor have you been.

Don't lecture me about communication either, I've been doing stuff here for a good 3 years and I'm probably one of the best communicators as far as vendoring goes. I don't have any complaints and I have taken care of each CUSTOMER.

CONTEST does not equal entitlement.

BTW..... you're coin was dropped off however after I read this, I grabbed it out of the cache it was in and hiked it up to one of my caches today in the snow on top of a nice steep remote mountain. After tonight the cache should be buried in knee deep snow, too bad it's such a long time in between visits because of it's location. Now you can b*tch :)

How's that for communication?

For the rest of you, I'll be around but I won't be doing anything on the coin front for a couple of months, if your coin gets to Helena, I will grab it and get it released as time allows. If you email me allow me several days to get back to you as I won't be around much either for awhile.

tsun

PS: If anyone thinks my above response if rude or spiteful, truth is, I get tired of some of this stuff. There's always more to the story than what someone is posting here when they whine.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Could you throw a bigger fit?

Why don't you paint a better picture? Tell everyone that when you emailed me that I didn't even realize I had your coin and that was about 10/13 when I answered you back in email correspondence several times.

A couple of other facts: I haven't been busy minting coins, as a matter of fact the last of my coins that came in were in August. I also haven't been caching lately, last log was in September when I was in MN for GCF, so again you're wrong and it might just be I did have other things going on. Did it ever occur to you that something of a pretty big importance may have kept me from just about everything? No one on Facebook, Twitter and via email had heard from me for close to a month and had you any sense about you, you could have easily checked my profile page and saw I hadn't been logged in for weeks which is unusual for me. Geesh...

Yes, I did have your coin too long and I'm sorry about that but you knew I totally didn't realize I had it. I thought I got everyone's coins off that needed to be sent off.

I didn't get a chance to get your coin out like I had hoped, I don't exactly live in an area where I can get to a bunch of caches that easily. Not to mention life does happen and I've had other things to attend to that far outweighed getting a geocoin into a cache and which is none of your business. I'm not required to report to the forums and update my life especially when it comes to a CONTEST. It's not like I was going to steal your geocoin, trust me I have plenty.

Let's get another thing straight, you didn't BUY anything from me, you're not my customer, you are getting a coin for freakin' FREE. I don't owe you anything. However yes, I'm sure it would have been nice to know what was going on but you already knew I was looking for the coin and I was aware you wanted it moved. Sometimes you need to be patient. Again you are not a customer nor have you been.

Don't lecture me about communication either, I've been doing stuff here for a good 3 years and I'm probably one of the best communicators as far as vendoring goes. I don't have any complaints and I have taken care of each CUSTOMER.

CONTEST does not equal entitlement.

BTW..... you're coin was dropped off however after I read this, I grabbed it out of the cache it was in and hiked it up to one of my caches today in the snow on top of a nice steep remote mountain. After tonight the cache should be buried in knee deep snow, too bad it's such a long time in between visits because of it's location. Now you can b*tch :)

How's that for communication?

For the rest of you, I'll be around but I won't be doing anything on the coin front for a couple of months, if your coin gets to Helena, I will grab it and get it released as time allows. If you email me allow me several days to get back to you as I won't be around much either for awhile.

tsun

PS: If anyone thinks my above response if rude or spiteful, truth is, I get tired of some of this stuff. There's always more to the story than what someone is posting here when they whine.

Please have a little common decency to at least log my Geocoin TB2KCNC into the cache that you have dropped it into so that I can attempt to find a kinder Geocacher to get it moving again.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster