Geocoin Challenge (Ongoing)

tsunrisebey

It took over 2 years but a TB finally made it from British Columbia to Helena, Montana with it's goal to reach me. I picked the TB up yesterday. You can see it here at this link:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...58-f6b977a467e8

The challenge is simple. Release an activated coin (any coin) and set the goal for it to reach tsunrisebey in Montana. When your coin is picked up by me, I will attach an activated coin to your coin and send it back traveling. YOu'll need to change the goal so the coin has a goal of coming back to you. Once the coin makes it back to you and you log that the coin is in your possession and post a picture of the coin in your possession, I will adopt the coin over to you :)

Rules:

1. Montana, Wyoming and Idaho residents may enter only 1 coin in this challenge due to your state's proximity to my location.

2. Everyone else may enter 2 coins.

3. For those who do not live in North America, you may mail your traveling coin to someone in North America to get started for you. The coin must be dropped in a cache by the person you are mailing it to. You may NOT have someone from Montana, Wyoming or Idaho start your coin traveling, you will need to find someone else from another state or Canadian province to start your coin traveling. If your coin does make it to me, I will mail your coin traveler back to you along with the coin I attach to your traveler.

4. The coin must be activated in 2010, coins already activated where it is obvious the goal was changed, will not be considered valid entries.

5. You MUST post a link to your traveling coin in this thread, so we can all check-in on each others traveling coins.

6. If your coin is lost or stolen, you may NOT replace it or start a new one UNTIL it has been missing/not moved for 6 months.

7. The maximum amount of coins a person can receive from me will be 2 with the exception of Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.

8. I reserve the right to add or change rules as this challenge moves forward due to unforseen events.

9. Fopr those of you in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming wondering why you are only being allowed 1 coin, well I drop alot of unactivated coins in caches between these 3 states (especially Montana) plus my personal coins so you have an advantage over everyone else between having access to caches where I cache and you're relatively close to me so it makes it easier for you on a number of levels.

10. No whiners, beggars, crybabies, Steelers/Packers/Cowboy's fans allowed :)

11. This challenge is indefinite until it's not :)

Thanks in advance to those who decide to release a coin!

tsun

Is there a date limit to enter??

I would love to release one of my turtle geocoin to reach you but they are not here yet. :)

If so, I will activate and release another coin. :)

Nope, you can enter 6 months down the road if you want :) As long as the thread is going, you can enter your 2 coins anytime you choose :)

This is a great challenge in that it gets geocoins OUT THERE and travelling. I will be participating once I get back to my stash after my holiday break! Thanks so much, Tsun. It's good to see you back and keeping things new in the new year!

If anyone overseas needs some help with this, you are more than welcome to send coins to me! I have easy access to Arkansas and Texas, and Missouri or Tennessee are also options if I plan a special caching trip to those states. Just contact me through my gc.com account, and good luck!

I like your coin challenge, it sounds like fun. Count me in! I've had several TB's reach their goal :) I also had one set out from a friend in Germany, its goal was to reach me here in the USA and it made it! On the other hand, I've also lost a few :)

Thanks for the challenge tsun, I can't wait to get this started and see where it goes.....I just ♥ geocaching!

aaak!!! i just sent 5 of our travelers down under with scavok. if they can make it back to you from there that would be cool. :)

Only if you activated them in 2010 may you change their goal. If they were activated in 2009 or prior, then you'll have to release new ones. Keep in mind that they don't need to be released right now. This is an ongoing challenge and NOT a race. So maybe you wait until someone has a sale for cheapy coins and you release one 6 months from now or in 2011 :)

Hiya Steph~

Can I ask how you plan on attaching the 2nd coin to the 1st coin?

I really like this idea but my practical side is wondering if releasing 1 coin is attractive to a coin thief, then having 2 coins would be like a bonanza (especially a tsun coin!)

Lol... well it really depends on how you set up your coin for traveling. I won't drill a hole in your coin but I would attach it another way. I won't know until your coin gets here. Knowing you are going to release a coin that will get an attachment coin, you could probably create something that will allow me to attach to yours.

Yup, coins could get stolen and that would suck but thems the breaks :) We'll just have to be willing to live with it either way :)

I haven't entered a challenge or race in a long time due to several coin/TB thefts. :)

However, I'm going to participate in this with hopes it rejuvenates my thoughts about releasing travelers. I've got a pretty bad taste in my mouth about it at the moment because of so many that are missing, but I'm not going to give up totally yet...

I'll post back when I release something....

also, I am willing to release a coin(s) for anyone wanting to participate from outside North America that are looking for someone to do so for them.

:) great idea tsun!

I haven't entered a challenge or race in a long time due to several coin/TB thefts. :)

However, I'm going to participate in this with hopes it rejuvenates my thoughts about releasing travelers. I've got a pretty bad taste in my mouth about it at the moment because of so many that are missing, but I'm not going to give up totally yet...

I'll post back when I release something....

also, I am willing to release a coin(s) for anyone wanting to participate from outside North America that are looking for someone to do so for them.

:) great idea tsun!

Ditto.....

Ok Steph, I'll send you some coins!! If they get to you.... GREAT! If your return mission works.... GREAT! If not.... well, it would be nice to be surprised.

What about coins that were activated prior to 2010, and REactivated to change their release/activation date to 2010 ? :)

I don' even know if I have any coins currently in my collection that I'd be willing to let go... They're still in the car (just got back from Paris, AR's 4th Annual Cache Ca$h Dash Bash), so I'll have to look later to see if I have anything that I can even use. lol

What about coins that were activated prior to 2010, and REactivated to change their release/activation date to 2010 ? :)

I don' even know if I have any coins currently in my collection that I'd be willing to let go... They're still in the car (just got back from Paris, AR's 4th Annual Cache Ca$h Dash Bash), so I'll have to look later to see if I have anything that I can even use. lol

I'm not sure what ya mean. I wasn't aware you could change the "release" date on coins. Can you clarify that for me :)

I'm not sure what ya mean. I wasn't aware you could change the "release" date on coins. Can you clarify that for me :)

ROFL What's with all the "veteran" geocoiners around here who don' know ? :) (I'm picking on ya, Steph. grins)

If you go to the trackables page where you can search for a trackable (http://www.geocaching.com/track/) you can put the tracking code into the THIRD text box, and it'll bring up the page where you enter the tracking code (again) and the activation code (tis why I keep all my activation codes :)). Then you can go through the whole activation process as if the coin was brand new, and reset the release date and location. :D

I'm not sure what ya mean. I wasn't aware you could change the "release" date on coins. Can you clarify that for me :D

ROFL What's with all the "veteran" geocoiners around here who don' know ? :) (I'm picking on ya, Steph. grins)

If you go to the trackables page where you can search for a trackable (http://www.geocaching.com/track/) you can put the tracking code into the THIRD text box, and it'll bring up the page where you enter the tracking code (again) and the activation code (tis why I keep all my activation codes :)). Then you can go through the whole activation process as if the coin was brand new, and reset the release date and location. :laughing:

I guess it never entered my mind to need to do that, lol. Dang ya learn something new everyday. I guess I'll just have to trust people not to do that. The idea is to stimulate new coin releases if ya know what I mean :)

Does it erase the previous logs too? :)

I'm not sure what ya mean. I wasn't aware you could change the "release" date on coins. Can you clarify that for me :D

If you go to the trackables page where you can search for a trackable (http://www.geocaching.com/track/) you can put the tracking code into the THIRD text box, and it'll bring up the page where you enter the tracking code (again) and the activation code (tis why I keep all my activation codes :)). Then you can go through the whole activation process as if the coin was brand new, and reset the release date and location. :laughing:

I guess it never entered my mind to need to do that, lol. Dang ya learn something new everyday. I guess I'll just have to trust people not to do that. The idea is to stimulate new coin releases if ya know what I mean :)

Does it erase the previous logs too? :)

Logs have to be manually erased. And I've only REactivated adopted coins so I could reset their release date to the day I received the coins and their release location to Arkansas (where I live). So I guess REactivating to change the release date would be a no no. bleh

If you go to the trackables page where you can search for a trackable (http://www.geocaching.com/track/) you can put the tracking code into the THIRD text box, and it'll bring up the page where you enter the tracking code (again) and the activation code (tis why I keep all my activation codes :)). Then you can go through the whole activation process as if the coin was brand new, and reset the release date and location. B)

Does it erase the previous logs too? :D

Logs have to be manually erased. And I've only REactivated adopted coins so I could reset their release date to the day I received the coins and their release location to Arkansas (where I live). So I guess REactivating to change the release date would be a no no. bleh

Yes but the good thing is, there is no rush to send out coins. This is just an ongoing challenge until I get tired of all of you which could be by the end of the year :) or 10 years from now if coins are still being made :laughing: Or until we all perish in 2012, hahaha.

Sounds fun. We'll give it a try.

Just activated today:

TB1JK85

:)

Since we never activate our coins (unless they are sent out), it was easy for me to find one to activate.

We have a lot to choose from, so maybe in a week we'll send out a 2nd one.

Thanks for making it fun again!

:)

I just went over and looked at your coin page. WAY cool dog!! :) If the weather wasn't so crumby between here and there I'd be tempted to jump on the bike and go hunt you coin just so I could move it! That's an interesting twist you've added to this cointest.

Edited by ST13PILOT

I've just started this hobby this weekend, so I've got a newbie question..where do you buy the geocoins? and how do you get the customized ones with team names and such?

Welcome :)

We are not suppose to direct people to particular vendors because it has the potential to become an advertising campaign, so my suggestion would be to check the "pinned threads" up at the top of the page to learn about coins and how they are made and how to go about having them minted, etc. You should also read the forums and threads here to get an idea of how things work here :) If you want to buy coins from vendors, you can go to the trackables homepage where there is a list of geocoin vendors with their links. You can also look at the sales threads here which will also lead you to links for vendors.

Hope that helps.

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

Okay, my coins will be in tomorrows mail on their way to Kentucky.

My missionfriend fscout will release a Dutch 2009 geocoin (TB3BGTX) and

the other coin (TB2Z954) will travel together, attached to a coin of Fscout.

Will be fun to see if these will reach their destination.

Do we need to sepcify a cache it need sto travel to in Montana?

Edited by millieballon

aaak!!! i just sent 5 of our travelers down under with scavok. if they can make it back to you from there that would be cool. :P

Only if you activated them in 2010 may you change their goal. If they were activated in 2009 or prior, then you'll have to release new ones. Keep in mind that they don't need to be released right now. This is an ongoing challenge and NOT a race. So maybe you wait until someone has a sale for cheapy coins and you release one 6 months from now or in 2011 <_<

yep 2010 ,just activated them for his trip maybe ill swich one of the goals down the road, as thats quite a trip back to you!!! it would be cool tho,,,, :)

This challenge is indefinite until it's not :P

Thanks in advance to those who decide to release a coin!

tsun

hmmm...gonna have to go out and get 1 of dem GeeO' Coinz for this one....

The Mission....ehhhhh...let's see,,,,,........uh,,,....I GOT IT!!!! ........go meet a cantankerous Mountain Women in Montanna...Yep......that's the ticket :lol: