Wherigo Player for PC

littlewing1977

There's still a good number of people in the US population without smartphones, so not everyone can use OpenWIG. The cell phone demographic (i.e. the types of models in use within an area) is different in the US than Europe. As for the question, if it's a netbook, I can see why someone might not mind lugging it around.

You'd need an Internet connection while playing the cartridge, but you could install the Wherigo Builder and load the cartridge in the Emulator. You can figure out where to go easily enough via the satellite and street maps. The only problem is if someone created a cartridge with the intent of it not being playable in the emulator. This is done to prevent people from completing it at home and skipping to the final cache.

Other alternatives would be to buddy with someone with a Wherigo Player or be in the field while someone is playing the cartridge at home and directing you where to go.

At the moment, until Groundspeak completes their geocaching mobile apps and makes a business case for Wherigo, I don't foresee anything coming from the Lilly Pad. As always, if I hear something I can pass on to the community, I'll do so.

ah, right. (everyone and their grandma and their four year old child (literally) have a java-capable cell phone around where i live, so i guess that my view is a bit deformed)

that said, a little insider info: desktop version of openWIG is in the works. it should work with gps connected on serial port or bluetooth.

you know ... i'm trying really hard to optimize the pages for things that people could be looking for. and it still doesn't work :/

link to openwig is actually second on google for "Wherigo on phone", but for whatever reason it points to a strange-looking bugreport page and not to project home.

there is a pinned (!) forum thread in Wherigo Hardware, called "Wherigo for J2ME" - but perhaps not many people know that J2ME is Java Mobile.

so here's your link: http://openwig.googlecode.com/

i'm afraid that it doesn't work on Samsung Ethernity right now. but it is a known problem and i'm working on it.

When is someone going to make a Wherigo player for a PC? That way a person can participate without buying a $400 GPS.

I solved two Wherigo Geocaches with my 60CSx. All it needs is the Wherigo builder, and the cartridge. Just let it run on your pc an take notes. Basically this is converting a Wherigo into a multi by hand.

GermanSailor

There's still a good number of people in the US population without smartphones, so not everyone can use OpenWIG. The cell phone demographic (i.e. the types of models in use within an area) is different in the US than Europe. As for the question, if it's a netbook, I can see why someone might not mind lugging it around.

Samsung Moment (Andriod) won't download it either.

When is someone going to make a Wherigo player for a PC? That way a person can participate without buying a $400 GPS.

OK, really late on a reply here, but I don't watch the forums.

Take a look at this thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=187391

I did get a laptop running a virtual PocketPC talking to my Garmin GPSmap60

The last step was to get the GPS signal into the Wherigo player. I tried for a while, then went back and tried my old Viewsonic PocketPC again .. and got that to work, so my experimenting with a virtual PPC has stopped for now.