magellan triton 400 question

hey ...i'm relatively new to the sport of geocaching and my question is on my unit when i'm putting in the coordinates i have to use the decimal equivalent, how can i change that to put in the ones that are used on the page normally? this makes it hard because on multi-caches you might have to put the coordinates in in the field and i can't, i have to come back home and change them....any help would be greatly appreciated :P

... If you were a premium member you could download the .gpx files and take advantage of the Triton's paperless capability!

X2!

I am new here too and have the T-400 as well, and I signed up for a 3 month premium membership just to try it out and I can tell you that after just a few days accessing the gpx files, that is the way to go for sure. Well worth the money just in the time savings. I will be upgrading to the yearly.

The gpx files give you all the information from the cache page including the hint if there is one.

I run Vantage Point on my home computer as well as my work computer and I just hook up my T-400 and synchronize whenever I have new caches in either computer so both stations always have a complete list of what is on my GPSr at any time.

Previous to that I was hand-entering the coordinates and cache name into the T-400 and copying all of the details and hints etc to my IPAQ palm top so I carried 2 devices. I could reference information and images on the IPAQ for any cache that was in my GPSr, but still kinda tedious. Now I only carry the T-400 and the IPAQ stays home :lol:

;):) Here I am trying to get Vanatge Point to work and I never see any one saying "how to get the caches to load to the SD card in the T-500". HELP!!! I have had Magellen GPS receivers for 5 years of geocaching: Meriaden Gold, eXplorist 600 and the Triton 500.

I think I need help getting the Triton 500 going. eXplorist quit being recognized by my computer and I have tried to use a SD card reader and it will not work.

Ramble ramble.

tnx for any help

;):) Here I am trying to get Vanatge Point to work and I never see any one saying "how to get the caches to load to the SD card in the T-500". HELP!!! I have had Magellen GPS receivers for 5 years of geocaching: Meriaden Gold, eXplorist 600 and the Triton 500.

I think I need help getting the Triton 500 going. eXplorist quit being recognized by my computer and I have tried to use a SD card reader and it will not work.

Ramble ramble.

tnx for any help

On the explorist check the connections at the plug they seem to be spring loaded and sometimes , will stick also try cleaning the contacts sometimes that helps, BUT most likely the data cable gave up the ghost

I still have mine and let the gkids use it when we go out caching.

:unsure::) Here I am trying to get Vanatge Point to work and I never see any one saying "how to get the caches to load to the SD card in the T-500". HELP!!! I have had Magellen GPS receivers for 5 years of geocaching: Meriaden Gold, eXplorist 600 and the Triton 500.

Ramble ramble.

tnx for any help

You can not load the caches to the SD card on the T-500. It currently only stores maps. I believe on the bigger units (T-1500 and T-2000) is also stores mp3 and photos.

:unsure::) Here I am trying to get Vanatge Point to work and I never see any one saying "how to get the caches to load to the SD card in the T-500". HELP!!! I have had Magellen GPS receivers for 5 years of geocaching: Meriaden Gold, eXplorist 600 and the Triton 500.

Ramble ramble.

tnx for any help

You can not load the caches to the SD card on the T-500. It currently only stores maps. I believe on the bigger units (T-1500 and T-2000) is also stores mp3 and photos.

Yep. You can't store caches on the SD card. It's only for maps and other media. The T500 should store 2,000 or 3,000 caches in it'e internal memory, I don't why you'd need more than that anyway. Maybe going on vacation, but then you can just take your laptop and swap Pocket Queries.

Clodbuster - have you tried downloading Mapsend Lite 2.00 from the Magellan website for the explorist. It's free, and it should recognize the SD card in a drive if the USB connection doesn't work. It will convert .loc and .gpx files and upload them to the 600.

:):shocked: Here I am trying to get Vanatge Point to work and I never see any one saying "how to get the caches to load to the SD card in the T-500". HELP!!! I have had Magellen GPS receivers for 5 years of geocaching: Meriaden Gold, eXplorist 600 and the Triton 500.

Ramble ramble.

tnx for any help

I too have a Triton 400. One thing I cannot get to work is to have the cache size dislayed on the 400. It downloads into VantagePoint (via GPX), but doesn't pass on to the GPS. Or maybe it IS in the GPS but is not being displayed? Whatever, Cache Size is important! Any ideas?

1. I believe there is a macro in GSAK that will insert it into another field, I think the short description.

2. You can edit the cache in vantagepoint before you download it to the gpsr and add the size to one of the other fields like the short description.

Of course if you use pocket queries and hand 500 to do, I think the GSAK rout is best.

I can usually judge the size by area, so I don't really need it any more

I too just purchased a T-400. I am a premium member and I want to take advantage of the GPX files.

How should I go about downloading them into Vantage point? I use GSAK some, but sometimes I struggle with the exporting aspect.

(Basicly all I use GSAK for currently is to download the caches. Thats all. I know it has tons of features I could be using, but it seems very complicated.)

Thanks

Dave.

Thanks for the suggestions! But you said, "I can usually judge the size by area, so I don't really need it any more".

I don't undestand this. can you explain? thanks

If it's in a parking lot or other busy urban area, it's usually a micro. If it's not so busy and there are bushes around or if you are in the woods, it's probably a regular

I too just purchased a T-400. I am a premium member and I want to take advantage of the GPX files.

How should I go about downloading them into Vantage point? I use GSAK some, but sometimes I struggle with the exporting aspect.

(Basicly all I use GSAK for currently is to download the caches. Thats all. I know it has tons of features I could be using, but it seems very complicated.)

Thanks

Dave.

You have to use Magellan's VantagePoint software.

You need to be a premium member to download gpx files. If you are not a premium member, follow the same procedure using the .loc files, except for the use of pocket queries; and you will not get the info listed at the bottom, only the location of the caches..

You can use either step 2a, 2b or 2c to get the caches from the website in VP.

1. On the page of a cache, click GPX eXchange File(or LOC Waypoint File) and save it to your hard drive; I organized mine into different folders, basically by city(I usually name them the same as on the website; make sure that the file name ends in .gpx or .loc(accordingly))

2. Choose option a, b or c.

a. Upload the .gpx/.loc file into Vantage point; from Vantage Point software, click the Import Icon, 3rd from the left; then select the file from your hard drive. You can only do one file at a time, pain in the butt.

b. To import multiple gpx/loc files at once, open the folder that contains the gpx/loc files and open VP. Select the files(hold down CTRL and click the ones you want); then drag them into VP

c. Create a Pocket Query; unzip zip it; then import in into VP.

3. Transfer the file to GPSr. Connect your unit the the computer via usb. Then Click the Transfer From PC to My GPS icon where it says Snyc. Then a window will popup and to can select waypoints or geocaches; I uncheck both boxes. Then click the plus sign next to geocaches; then chech the boxes next to all the caches you want to transfer; it'll do how many ever you select. Then click OK and let it do it's thing.

What you will get on your Triton(if using .gpx files) is…

1. Name

2. Short Description

3. Long Description

4. Cache Type

5. Coordinates

6. Hint

6. Short Description

7. Long Description

Absoulutely perfect write-up SkellyCA. Thank you very much!

You're welcome!

You can still use GSAK to run macros. Then export the results to a gpx file. Then you can import that gpx file into VP. It's a few extra steps, but you're using pocket queries and are dealing with 500 caches it'll still save some time.

One more question (if you've got the time). I'm new at this, so bear with me...

GSAK appears to perform similar functions as VantagePoint. Are there any major differences? Which of the two applications do you prefer? Or do you use both?

(Okay.. that's three questions). :-)

TIA

You have to use Vantage Point to transfer files to the Triton. The Triton is not compatible with GSAK. I use GSAK when I want to run a macro of some sort. For instance, sometimes html will make the triton hang when downloading caches. There is a macro in GSAK that will remove html from the caches. So I'll use GSAK to remove the html, then export the files, then import them into vantagepoint.

You do have to use VantangePoint to transfer the files to the Triton .