Truth of a find

Wii-Cache

I am new to this and have dnf'ed twice. Other than believing what people report, how is it determined that a person has actually found the cache? I see people with a lot of finds under their belt. Do people just report they have found a cache, but not really do? How is this controlled? Do the people that hide the cache confirm through the use of the signed log? My kids love this new activity, and it was my 12 year old who asked the question. Wii- don't really care if people are lying about their finds. Wi hunt and fish a lot and are used to that. What does concern us is people logging a find, when the cache has been removed by someone. If I can't find a cache, and people are lying that they found it, Wii keep looking for something that isn't really there. That is really the question at hand

Edited by Wii-Cache

Some cache owners will occasionally check paper logs when maintaining the cache, etc, but its really an honor system. If you log my cache, unless I have a pretty good reason to suspect you weren't really there, I won't bother to verify your log.

Edited to add: all of the people I know with large find counts really have found a lot of caches.

Edited by FamilyDNA

i recently changed the log books on a few of my caches, mainly due to damp or the clue for the bonus was unreadable and decided to go through the logs against the site, a few names kept popping up that were not on the log, but one actually described the container and reported it in need of maintenance which made me wonder if the cacher ever signs the logs.

my question is what do you do if you find that a person has logged it as found but isnt in the logbook?

Edited to add: all of the people I know with large find counts really have found a lot of caches.

I know of several people with high find counts who have logged many "finds" on caches they didn't find. They claim they found the right spot but the cache was missing. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. Either way it's a bogus find.

I know of several people with high find counts who have logged many "finds" on caches they didn't find. They claim they found the right spot but the cache was missing. Sometimes it was, sometimes it wasn't. Either way it's a bogus find.

I have also had people place a "replacement cache" because the original was "missing" and then log the find. I went by and removed the extra box and verified that my box was in place. They were asked to delete the find and they did.

my question is what do you do if you find that a person has logged it as found but isnt in the logbook?

Could be several reasons for their name not being in the log book.

They cache with other cachers, but don't sign the log.

eg A family of cachers, with separate accounts

They've changed their caching name.

eg Bear and Ragged appears in log books after 16/June/2008 but I've been caching since 20 Aug 2005

Someone ripped out the page with their signature.

They just plain forgot to sign the log...

I am new to this and have dnf'ed twice. Other than believing what people report, how is it determined that a person has actually found the cache? I see people with a lot of finds under their belt. Do people just report they have found a cache, but not really do? How is this controlled? Do the people that hide the cache confirm through the use of the signed log? My kids love this new activity, and it was my 12 year old who asked the question.

Some of us only log caches that we find. Of course we're egotistical, tyrannical, puritans but you will always find our names in the logbook. :P

For the most part the cache owner will take you at your word. It's those log every cache within 20 miles on the same day people that normally get their logs deleted.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Personally, I've signed every log on each of my cache finds, with the exception of the virtuals. Since there isn't any CEA (Cache Enforcement Agency), the "honor system" will have to be the prevailing law when it comes to logging cache finds. I can't see why someone would want to log bogus finds, not to mention the fact that there are NO monetary and/or promotional incentives to lie about the number of caches an individual has found. If someone chooses to engage in such an act, the only one being hurt is the person who logged the bogus find. My life, and my enjoyment of caching, will NOT be affected in any way by someone logging bogus finds. :P

It's about signing the logbook. I placed around 30 geocaches, totalling 2,500 founds so far. I never checked if someone who logged online is actually in the paper log. However if someone logs online:"Didn't find it, hope a picture of the area is sufficient!" Then this log will be deleted.

Some owners check the paper logbook with the online logs, most don't bother. In the end you just cheat yourself. Nobody really cares about your numbers in the end. At the beginning "50" seems important, then "100", because it's three digits. Not long later you awe for the "500" and then "1000"....

Try to find geocaches at nice locations, that's more important then "cleaning" every parking lot.

GermanSailor

i recently changed the log books on a few of my caches, mainly due to damp or the clue for the bonus was unreadable and decided to go through the logs against the site, a few names kept popping up that were not on the log, but one actually described the container and reported it in need of maintenance which made me wonder if the cacher ever signs the logs.

What do you think would be the proper action to take, if any?

Sometimes people don't sign the same name the log under.

What I'd do, if I discover such a discrepancy, is email them to ask.

I am new to this and have dnf'ed twice. Other than believing what people report, how is it determined that a person has actually found the cache? I see people with a lot of finds under their belt. Do people just report they have found a cache, but not really do? How is this controlled? Do the people that hide the cache confirm through the use of the signed log? My kids love this new activity, and it was my 12 year old who asked the question.

Geocaching isn't a competition. It's about having fun. So one could ask if it really matters whether a person who posts a "Found It" log online has really found the cache or not? Of course if you are being honest and logging your DNF's then perhaps you are looking to see if someone finds a cache after you do. And it wouldn't be nice for someone to post a "Found It" when they have not found the cache and perhaps get you to go back and look again when you wouldn't have otherwise. Or worse, this causes the cache owner not to check on the cache after your DNF, because the think someone has subsequently found it.

False or bogus logs are supposed to be deleted by cache owners. The cache owner does not have to check to see if the physical log has been signed, though it is considered good practice unless he is absolutely sure that the person didn't find the cache. On the other hand a cache owner does not have to check log and delete "Found It" logs of someone who's name doesn't appear in a physical log. After all there are any number of excuses for not signing a log: forgot a pen, the log sheet was too wet, the cache was frozen and couldn't be opened, or they just plain forgot. This is supposed to be about having fun and it seems to me that cache owners who want to delete the log of someone who found the cache just because they didn't remember to sign the log is a bit extreme (But there are those who disagree with me on this).

Also remember that some players will use the "Found It" when they have accomplished something short of an actual find but on the other had aren't lying in the log about why they did so. Common reasons given are "Found where the cache should have been", "Found the remains of cache", "Left a replacement cache", and "Saw the cache high up in a tree where they couldn't retrieve it". A "Found It" log has the effect of marking a cache "complete" on the website so it can be excluded from certain searches. Some cachers may feel that they have visited the location the cache owner wanted them to go to and even experienced searching for the cache and therefore a "Found It" log seemed appropriate to use. And some cache owners may agree and allow the log to remain. These logs seem to annoy a certain segment of the geocaching community. They even have a on-going thread in the Hunt/Unusual section of the forum to discuss them. If you remember that is not a competition and is intended to be a fun and enjoyable recreation, you won't be annoyed that some people might log a "Found It" when they didn't actually find a cache so long as they report honestly what they did do.

If it's a one time thing I do nothing. If someone constantly "forgets" to log, then I will delete their online logs. I can see someone forgetting log once, but if they often seem to forget it screams phony to me.

Geocaching isn't a competition. It's about having fun. So one could ask if it really matters whether a person who posts a "Found It" log online has really found the cache or not? Of course if you are being honest and logging your DNF's then perhaps you are looking to see if someone finds a cache after you do. And it wouldn't be nice for someone to post a "Found It" when they have not found the cache and perhaps get you to go back and look again when you wouldn't have otherwise. Or worse, this causes the cache owner not to check on the cache after your DNF, because the think someone has subsequently found it.

False or bogus logs are supposed to be deleted by cache owners. The cache owner does not have to check to see if the physical log has been signed, though it is considered good practice unless he is absolutely sure that the person didn't find the cache. On the other hand a cache owner does not have to check log and delete "Found It" logs of someone who's name doesn't appear in a physical log. After all there are any number of excuses for not signing a log: forgot a pen, the log sheet was too wet, the cache was frozen and couldn't be opened, or they just plain forgot. This is supposed to be about having fun and it seems to me that cache owners who want to delete the log of someone who found the cache just because they didn't remember to sign the log is a bit extreme (But there are those who disagree with me on this).

Also remember that some players will use the "Found It" when they have accomplished something short of an actual find but on the other had aren't lying in the log about why they did so. Common reasons given are "Found where the cache should have been", "Found the remains of cache", "Left a replacement cache", and "Saw the cache high up in a tree where they couldn't retrieve it". A "Found It" log has the effect of marking a cache "complete" on the website so it can be excluded from certain searches. Some cachers may feel that they have visited the location the cache owner wanted them to go to and even experienced searching for the cache and therefore a "Found It" log seemed appropriate to use. And some cache owners may agree and allow the log to remain. These logs seem to annoy a certain segment of the geocaching community. They even have a on-going thread in the Hunt/Unusual section of the forum to discuss them. If you remember that is not a competition and is intended to be a fun and enjoyable recreation, you won't be annoyed that some people might log a "Found It" when they didn't actually find a cache so long as they report honestly what they did do.

Sign log. Get smiley. :) It's fairly simple. If you did not leave your signature within the cache, or on the log book, then you may have found the cache, but you do not qualify for the smiley. :)

Why do some peope cheat? Some people are not very nice. Some people do not understand the basics. Who can explain it? Wise men never try.

That is a fine philosophy but not the only one. Many of us have found caches where it was impossible to sign the log for one reason or another. Many geocachers will count that as a find. It is geoCACHING, not geoLOGGING.

Sign log. Get smiley. :) It's fairly simple. If you did not leave your signature within the cache, or on the log book, then you may have found the cache, but you do not qualify for the smiley. :)

Why do some peope cheat? Some people are not very nice. Some people do not understand the basics. Who can explain it? Wise men never try.

That is a fine philosophy but not the only one. Many of us have found caches where it was impossible to sign the log for one reason or another. Many geocachers will count that as a find. It is geoCACHING, not geoLOGGING. Logging a find if the log was a sodden mass of pulp does not necessarily make one a cheater.

i was last-to-find on a cache for which i could not sign the log. oh, i FOUND the log just fine, but when i opened the container, the it poured right down my arm. eww.

it had not just gotten wet, but liquefied. paper pulp in warm water with a golf pencil. the cache itself had been zip-tied lid down, so taking the lid off kind of guaranteed a shower for me.

i was last-to-find on a cache for which i could not sign the log. oh, i FOUND the log just fine, but when i opened the container, the it poured right down my arm. eww.

it had not just gotten wet, but liquefied. paper pulp in warm water with a golf pencil. the cache itself had been zip-tied lid down, so taking the lid off kind of guaranteed a shower for me.

Thats funny flask. I can just vision that.

I found one that clearly was in the wrong place, no longer magnetized, had some tape looking similar to CO's tape found on other caches, was corroded so that I could not open it, had no tool with me to pry it open, could not sign log. I had read something on the forums about avoiding posting, "needs maintenance" logs so I called it a DNF. CO posted within a minute and temporarily disabled the cache. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can find it in it's intended place. CO does clever hides so it still might take me a couple of trips.

Sign log. Get smiley. :) It's fairly simple. If you did not leave your signature within the cache, or on the log book, then you may have found the cache, but you do not qualify for the smiley. :D

How do you cheat in something that's not a competition?

I found one that clearly was in the wrong place, no longer magnetized, had some tape looking similar to CO's tape found on other caches, was corroded so that I could not open it, had no tool with me to pry it open, could not sign log. I had read something on the forums about avoiding posting, "needs maintenance" logs so I called it a DNF. CO posted within a minute and temporarily disabled the cache.

I think a NM log would have been very appropriate in this case, but your DNF worked as well.

I almost forgot to sign the log at least once, when I got so involved with the trackables in the cache. I don't think I ever completely forgot to sign--if I did, I don't remember. :grin:

Nancy

As far as I can remember I've only logged one cache that I didn't sign the log book. In that case I went to the cache and found no pen/pencil and I had forgot to bring one. Being lazy I didn't want to walk all the way back to the truck to get a pen. So I took a pic of my GPSr w/ the cache container and sent the pic to the CO. The response I got from him was that he was amazed that in his absence his "Decon" container had turned into a tupperware container. He left the online log stand.

Edited by jaroot