Hiding a 35mm cache...

fraunik

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to places to hide a 35mm container cache? Do these usually hide better in an urban environment or can you successfully hide one in a park? :P

I'll give you a suggestion. You have to determine it it's "good" or not.

You've been logging finds for four days. You are asking a question about one of the worst possible cache containers. They leak and the logs get soggy. I understand that you could put one of these out at absolutley no cost to you. Find more caches. Find some soggy 35mm film containers. Then decide if that really is the best you can do or afford.

I am not a fan of any MICRO in a place that will support a SMALL or REGULAR. But if you are going to place a MICRO, at least use something that will stay dry inside.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to places to hide a 35mm container cache? Do these usually hide better in an urban environment or can you successfully hide one in a park? :P

Unless you have a container that is outstanding, I would recommend first finding a good place to hide a cache, then decide what kind of container you should use. You'll most likely end up with a more memorable experience for those who come to find your Cache.

As far as a straight answer...you can hide a film can almost anywhere, but the best result would be a place with no direct exposure to the weather.

The only way to place a 35mm film can is to find somewhere that will NEVER be exposed to water of any kind. They leak or crack in sunlight after a while. There are much better containers available.

Walmart sells a match container with a sealed o-ring fro less than $1 in the camping isle. Then just find a place that you would be proud to lead other cachers to.

Why the push to place a micro sized geocache? You should at least consider placing a regular sized geocache that is stocked full of nice tradable items with plenty of room for travel bugs. That is much more exciting than a boring 35 millimeter film canister.

If you insist on a micro sized geocache, then explore the many different containers that there are to chose from. Also don’t just jam it under the nearest lamp post. Be sure to put a little thought, and creativity into it.

However what’s the rush? You have only found a little over ten geocaches. Take your time, and experience some more geocaches before placing your own. That way when you finally do place a geocache, it will be a quality geocache that others will enjoy finding! :P

Why the push to place a micro sized geocache? You should at least consider placing a regular sized geocache that is stocked full of nice tradable items with plenty of room for travel bugs. That is much more exciting than a boring 35 millimeter film canister.

If you insist on a micro sized geocache, then explore the many different containers that there are to chose from. Also don’t just jam it under the nearest lamp post. Be sure to put a little thought, and creativity into it.

However what’s the rush? You have only found a little over ten geocaches. Take your time, and experience some more geocaches before placing your own. That way when you finally do place a geocache, it will be a quality geocache that others will enjoy finding! :P

I'm a total newbie. Just registered two days ago with Geocaching.com, and went on my first hunts yesterday. Two of them were in the P&G variety (park & go, as I read in the forums). Those were found easily enough. The 3rd one became a DNF and I logged it as such. Of course, it was getting dark, the hillside was snow covered, and the GPS was freaking out due to low battery and dense cloud cover. I will go back!

Thanks for your suggestions on waiting to hide a cache until after you've done it a bit more. Sounds like solid advice, and gives me time to think about what I want to put in a cache. If I hide one, I want to put more than just silly things in it--I want to place things with some meaning.

Sorry, but I have to disagree that a regular sized cache is more exciting than a 35 mm film canister. I've found quite a few regular caches that were extremely boring. As will as even more boring ammo cans hidden under an obvious pile of branches or bark. For trades, yes, they can be a bit more exciting, but some of those are also rather weak. Yes, I have found boring 35 mm cans, but also some that have been a challenge, and some with an interesting trade item inside.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to places to hide a 35mm container cache? Do these usually hide better in an urban environment or can you successfully hide one in a park?

Hide them in the bottom of a garbage can and let them get hauled away :P

Seriously, even well hidden ones tend to develop problems. Well hidden meaning under a structure or protected from the elements directly. If exposed, I wouldn't expect to get more than 2-3 months use out of one.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to places to hide a 35mm container cache? Do these usually hide better in an urban environment or can you successfully hide one in a park? :)

I'll give you a suggestion. You have to determine it it's "good" or not.

You've been logging finds for four days. You are asking a question about one of the worst possible cache containers. They leak and the logs get soggy. I understand that you could put one of these out at absolutley no cost to you. Find more caches. Find some soggy 35mm film containers. Then decide if that really is the best you can do or afford.

I am not a fan of any MICRO in a place that will support a SMALL or REGULAR. But if you are going to place a MICRO, at least use something that will stay dry inside.

AMEN Brother!!!!! :)