Garmin Software petition

Arndtwe

I have recently just gotten back into Geocaching after not doing it for quite some time. Anyway, in the process, I have been trying to manage my Garmin GPS with my Linux laptop (Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, for those interested) and while this IS possible using a few different open source software tools, it is an excruciating process. It is not, by any means, convenient or good.

In the midst of searching for better solutions, I found this nice petition to port Garmin software to Linux. I do not know just how effective it will be, but I signed it in the hope that it will make a change with Garmin. This petition, if successful, will make it so much easier for a decent amount of people when it comes to managing Garmin GPS under Linux.

You can view and sign the petition HERE <--Link. This would be a great step forward for Linux using Geocachers. Please consider signing this.

Sincerely,

Joe Arndt

The prob with Linux is that there is so many different versions of it. It's not realistic to expect companies to support the dozens of versions of it. If anything, the Linux community has to say ENOUGH and just back debian/ubuntu and that's it.. and only support the LTS versions. Then perhaps some companies will work with them.

And Linux users are going have to be WILLING TO PAY for software for companies to develop and support it. That's something the Linux community has never done, supported paid software. They have expected it to always be free.

Now in saying that, I do run Ubuntu 9.04 on my netbook and it runs well.

They wouldn't necessarily need to support "dozens" of Linux distro's. If they simply provided the source for compiling, then they eliminate that problem... but then that makes it impossible to make it commercial, it would have to be open source. If they wanted to make it closed source then they would have to support many different distro's.

But all of that is besides the point. The point here is get a petition passed for Garmin to make software for Linux. Whether that be an open source software that you must compile yourself, or closed source/limited support software. Either way, we are just looking for a Linux solution.

Please, do not turn this thread into an argument about why this will/won't work or any sort of argument. It may or may not be realistic for a company such as Garmin to do this, but it doesn't mean we can't try. I simply wanted to share my findings so that others in the same boat as me could participate if they wanted.

Fair enough. But my point remains. Garmin has no incentive to produce any linux software unless you are willing to pay for it. Let's say Garmin would hire 4 linux software developers.... It would cost them prob $400,000 a year on the low side. Would linux users be willing to buy enough software to make up the cost to Garmin? Of course not.

Comes down to business my friend.

Okay, I think we're all missing the point here. I do know that there is not incentive, I do know that cost is a problem, and I do know that is probably a hopeless cause. Thank you all for pointing that out. Anyone and everyone who uses Linux and wants Garmin software knows all of the above things. This is simply a petition.

After all, if there is going to be any chance at all, it is not going to just happen. We have to do something. Right now, for me at least, the only thing to do is sign a petition. And that is all I am asking the rest of you to do. Like I said, I really don't want to argue, I know, the other side already wins. But I, as a Geocacher, Garmin GPS user, and Linux user I feel the need for better support. This is not going to happen on its own.

Let's stop debating about whether it will ever work, we know its not going to any time soon. But we can't just stop trying. So please, if you do not have something of value to add, then don't post. On the other hand, if you did sign the petition or have positive input, please feel free to share.

I know this sounds harsh, but perhaps you chose the wrong OS, and this is one reason why.

You sound like someone who bought a Toyota Echo and complains when it won't do 150 MPH. You make your choices and live with the results. Microsoft is evil and Apple is expensive. We all make our compromises.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and haven't used any garmin software outside of my OS yet.

I updated the internal device's software version via the website.

And being as the Garmin Colorado 300 that I use is recognized by Ubuntu when it's plugged into a USB port, I can put map files on it and GPX files as well.

Haven't had a need for anything else.

Maps can be found in OSM format at:

http://downloads.cloudmade.com/north_ameri...tes#breadcrumbs

And what I do is use SPLITTER.JAR to take a downloaded <state.osm> file and split it into several smaller osm files. Then, I convert each of the smaller osm files into img files using mkgmap and then use mkgmap to rejoin those files into a single map.

Then it's just a matter of throwing it onto the garmin via usb.

I always look for workarounds to avoid going back to windows.

But yeah, I'll sign the petition anyway.

I'm using Ubuntu 9.10 and haven't used any garmin software outside of my OS yet.

And being as the Garmin Colorado 300 that I use is recognized by Ubuntu when it's plugged into a USB port, I can put map files on it and GPX files as well.

And what I do is use SPLITTER.JAR to take a downloaded <state.osm> file and split it into several smaller osm files. Then, I convert each of the smaller osm files into img files using mkgmap and then use mkgmap to rejoin those files into a single map.

I have recently just gotten back into Geocaching after not doing it for quite some time. Anyway, in the process, I have been trying to manage my Garmin GPS with my Linux laptop (Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, for those interested) and while this IS possible using a few different open source software tools, it is an excruciating process. It is not, by any means, convenient or good.

In the midst of searching for better solutions, I found this nice petition to port Garmin software to Linux. I do not know just how effective it will be, but I signed it in the hope that it will make a change with Garmin. This petition, if successful, will make it so much easier for a decent amount of people when it comes to managing Garmin GPS under Linux.

You can view and sign the petition HERE <--Link. This would be a great step forward for Linux using Geocachers. Please consider signing this.

Sincerely,

Joe Arndt

But Linux is supposed to be perfect. I thought that one of the draws was that it didn't have any of that extra add-on junk, like being able to port to Garmin...

What do you want? A software that hackers don't mess with or a software that everyone can use without headaches (except for the hackers)?

Mod note OS flamewars are great fun, but not appropriate here. If you want to talk about this petition, OK. Slightly off topic but still close enough to be the game might include business reasons for porting to Linux or maybe pointers to existing Linux software for Garmins. The 'why would you use THAT!?!?!' posts don't advance the subject, so please refrain.

what exactly do you want from Garmin? my Garmins work on Linux...just have to use different software.

The point of this thread is to get Garmin to make native Linux software for their GPS units.

I know this sounds harsh, but perhaps you chose the wrong OS, and this is one reason why.

You sound like someone who bought a Toyota Echo and complains when it won't do 150 MPH. You make your choices and live with the results. Microsoft is evil and Apple is expensive. We all make our compromises.

Eh, it doesn't sound harsh. But could you explain what you mean? I'm not sure I understand. Unlike the Toyota echo going 150MPH, I can manage my GPS under Linux. I would just appreciate Garmin, the Company I bought my GPS from, to make their own software for it.

All of that is very cool. Especially the maps. But unlike you, not all of us have a Colorado, or even a GPs that is recognised as a "mass storage device". Linux support for those units is "fine". For the rest of us who cannot just drag and up things on/off of our units, native GPS company software would be very handy.

But Linux is supposed to be perfect. I thought that one of the draws was that it didn't have any of that extra add-on junk, like being able to port to Garmin...

What do you want? A software that hackers don't mess with or a software that everyone can use without headaches (except for the hackers)?

The ability to port software to Linux is add-on junk? Linux is far from perfect, as is every OS and individual software. Not sure what the second part of your post means... I would like a piece of software that works natively under Linux, that will manage my GPS in the same way Mac and Win can. Where do hackers come into play here?

Mod note OS flamewars are great fun, but not appropriate here. If you want to talk about this petition, OK. Slightly off topic but still close enough to be the game might include business reasons for porting to Linux or maybe pointers to existing Linux software for Garmins. The 'why would you use THAT!?!?!' posts don't advance the subject, so please refrain.

Thank you.

All of that is very cool. Especially the maps. But unlike you, not all of us have a Colorado, or even a GPs that is recognised as a "mass storage device". Linux support for those units is "fine". For the rest of us who cannot just drag and up things on/off of our units, native GPS company software would be very handy.

Is there a specific unit and problem your having? If it uses external storage you can pull the card out and access the data from your card reader. In addition, some of the older units (HCX, 60csx) can be switched to "USB Mass Storage Mode" by going to setup -> interface -> USB Mass Storage.

For the older serial interface units, a modern Linux Kernel (2.6.11+) seems to have lots of built in support.

There are alternative open source GPS manager software (i.e. GPSMan, GPSBabel, etc) to use.

If you must use Garmin software . . .

- Wine can run certain versions of mapsource on *nix and connect/transfer to units.

- or Create a Windows Virtual Box and run mapsource from it.

Edited by notnormal
Garmin has no incentive to produce any linux software unless you are willing to pay for it.

Sure they do. Millions of users use Linux. Eventually some GPS manufacturer will port for Linux. Then Linux users will buy predominantly that manufacturer's product.

If Magellan ported for Linux I'd dump my Garmin in a heartbeat. Porting for Linux would protect Garmin's market share.

Garmin has no incentive to produce any linux software unless you are willing to pay for it.

Sure they do. Millions of users use Linux. Eventually some GPS manufacturer will port for Linux. Then Linux users will buy predominantly that manufacturer's product.

If Magellan ported for Linux I'd dump my Garmin in a heartbeat. Porting for Linux would protect Garmin's market share.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Magellan to port. Delorme hardly/doesn't support Mac so I doubt they will go in the Linux direction. I don't see any GPS manufacturer having any incentive to port to Linux. Even Intuit does not support Linux, and given the widespread use of their products and the "millions" of Linux users you would think they would. I can't think of one widely used program that has ported to Linux, other than browsers. Linux is nice and I would be using it if there was major software available for it. But given that 90% of the desktops run microsoft and most of the rest run mac, I really don't think there is much chance for Linux ever getting past the hobby phase for home users. It is used in business and scientific worlds running specialized applications or chugging through mail queues. Wine is your best bet.

Jim

Edited by jholly

I wouldn't hold my breath for Magellan to port. Delorme hardly/doesn't support Mac so I doubt they will go in the Linux direction. I don't see any GPS manufacturer having any incentive to port to Linux. Even Intuit does not support Linux, and given the widespread use of their products and the "millions" of Linux users you would think they would. I can't think of one widely used program that has ported to Linux, other than browsers. Linux is nice and I would be using it if there was major software available for it. But given that 90% of the desktops run microsoft and most of the rest run mac, I really don't think there is much chance for Linux ever getting past the hobby phase for home users. It is used in business and scientific worlds running specialized applications or chugging through mail queues. Wine is your best bet.

Jim

I think his point with Magellan was that he would switch to whomever decided to port and support Linux. I don't think he is expecting that.

But all of this is still besides the point of this thread. I'm sorry I even brought it here. I figured of all the places to get support, this place would be it. Guess I was wrong. What happened to these forums? You'd think we would all support common interest, but instead every topic has to be turned into some way to argue with each other.

All I was looking for were other Linux/Garmin users that would do the same as I. Instead everyone decides they need to make a perfectly well known fact a little more clear: it's never going to happen, Linux sucks etc. Geez people, can we just get along? If you are not one of the Linux/Garmin users or supporters, and all you have to add is Linux slams or software port discouragements, then just don't post! It's not about which OS is better, or better supported, or even about whether Garmin will ever make Linux software.

NOTE TO MODS: if this thread continues to be a breading ground for anything but it's original intentions, please do not hesitate to close it!!! I know you don't need it, but you have my full permission and support to do so!!

Fair enough. But my point remains. Garmin has no incentive to produce any linux software unless you are willing to pay for it. Let's say Garmin would hire 4 linux software developers.... It would cost them prob $400,000 a year on the low side. Would linux users be willing to buy enough software to make up the cost to Garmin? Of course not.

Comes down to business my friend.

I may have missed something on the way to the bottom of this thread, but I don't recall paying for MapSource or Basecamp. I payed for a 60CSX and an OR300 and a number of editions and upgrades of CityNAVNANT. Garmin will still be able to charge for the data and the hardware, which is where they make their money now.