A bingo challenge cache?

nekom

I saw such a thing mentioned in another thread, and I'm not sure how it may have been done before but here's my idea: A typical 5 x 5 card with a `free space' in the middle and the other squares being things like Waterfall, Cemetery, Glacial Rocks, etc. The idea would be that you would need to have logged a cache in a particular county in 2010 or later in order to claim the square (i.e. you found a cache where you saw a waterfall, cemetery, rocks, etc). A full card bingo wouldn't be required, so you'd be able to complete it by completing as few as 5 caches (the free space would still require a cache to be logged, but any cache would do).

Assuming the location of the final has no issues, would I have any problem getting such a cache published? I know there are much larger challenges out there, like the delorme and all counties challenges many states have, so it seems to me that it shouldn't be a problem, but I'm wondering if there is anything I'm missing.

You asked about the guidelines, so let's begin by quoting the relevant text for challenge caches:

Challenge caches incorporate special logging requirements and are listed as Mystery/Puzzle caches. Typically they require the seeker to have previously met a reasonable geocaching-related qualification (Waymarking and Wherigo qualify too, of course) such as first finding a cache in every county in your state. If you are thinking of creating such a cache, please include a note to the reviewer demonstrating either that you have met the challenge yourself, or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

Keep in mind that the linked example was published prior to the adoption of the current guideline text. You should not rely upon it as precedent.

Your bingo squares must be "geocaching-related" and they must be "reasonable." Posting a photo where you are dressed up in a halloween costume is not "geocaching related." "Find 10,000 caches" might not be a "reasonable" challenge in West Virginia, but it might be in California.

You will need to demonstrate for your reviewer (me) that you or a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to complete the challenge. If you are restricting the challenge to one particular county I will want to know how many cemetery caches, waterfall caches and tree climb caches there are, if those are some of the bingo squares. The "completeable" test is always more difficult when prior finds are excluded. If the active veteran geocachers have already found all five "waterfall" caches in your county, they are effectively excluded from your challenge unless someone hides a new waterfall cache. I would encourage you to allow prior finds if the geographic scope is limited to one county. Alternatively, the bingo squares would need to be really, really easy and common cache characteristics. We can presume that a new ammo box cache will be hidden within the county at some point in the future, for example.

Can't post the webpage link from work and can't get the GC code (geocaching.com is blocked), but I have a Bingo Challenge cache that only requires 9 finds. Do a quick search for H5's D/T Bingo Challenge (in NC). I didn't have any problems getting it published and it was bounced around to a few reviewers to look it over. This was right at the same time when the new guideline for ALR's were changed. A couple minor things had to be reworded, but no big issue. Maybe it can give you some ideas. Will try to post a link later after I get home, if someone doesn't beat me to it.

There are several different variations of a bingo challenge cache, but for your idea though, I don't see any problems with what you are thinking to do. Find a cache near a waterfall, cemetery, waterwheel, etc. Sounds like a new approach. I haven't seen or run across another one like it.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Harwell5

I don't think a Bingo theme would be too hard if you placed a laminated card in 24 caches, each with a code for completing a Bingo - vertical, horizontal or diagonal - in such a way it leads them to a final cache.

There's a Cacheopoly board set up in western Arizona, near Kingman. I only managed one find as I was cruising past on my way home, but there was a clue in it.

There is a 'Battleship' cache with 25 separate caches in my area where if you got lucky you would only need to find 12 and sink all the ships (i.e. have all the numbers for the final). Sounds really fun.

You asked about the guidelines, so let's begin by quoting the relevant text for challenge caches:

Challenge caches incorporate special logging requirements and are listed as Mystery/Puzzle caches. Typically they require the seeker to have previously met a reasonable geocaching-related qualification (Waymarking and Wherigo qualify too, of course) such as first finding a cache in every county in your state. If you are thinking of creating such a cache, please include a note to the reviewer demonstrating either that you have met the challenge yourself, or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

Keep in mind that the linked example was published prior to the adoption of the current guideline text. You should not rely upon it as precedent.

Your bingo squares must be "geocaching-related" and they must be "reasonable." Posting a photo where you are dressed up in a halloween costume is not "geocaching related." "Find 10,000 caches" might not be a "reasonable" challenge in West Virginia, but it might be in California.

You will need to demonstrate for your reviewer (me) that you or a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to complete the challenge. If you are restricting the challenge to one particular county I will want to know how many cemetery caches, waterfall caches and tree climb caches there are, if those are some of the bingo squares. The "completeable" test is always more difficult when prior finds are excluded. If the active veteran geocachers have already found all five "waterfall" caches in your county, they are effectively excluded from your challenge unless someone hides a new waterfall cache. I would encourage you to allow prior finds if the geographic scope is limited to one county. Alternatively, the bingo squares would need to be really, really easy and common cache characteristics. We can presume that a new ammo box cache will be hidden within the county at some point in the future, for example.

Thanks for clearing that up, and that's a very good point that I hadn't considered. In Fayette County, PA for instance, it's easy for a new cacher to find a cache by a waterfall, cemetery, iron furnace, etc, however I can see how somebody who has been caching for years may have already found every single one of each already. Perhaps excluding finds prior to 2010 is a bad idea for that reason. I did notice that the `Heart of Steeler Nation ABC Challenge' excludes older finds, but that's over a much wider area and with tons of potential caches to fit each letter, so I guess that's entirely a different animal.