Interesting type of benchmark photo.

TillaMurphs

TillaMurphs,

I can see using that type of photo representation in a couple of venues. Can you share information on the software used and your methodology?

Also clicked on your link to the BM. That's one popular piece of brass!!

Cheers,

JCS

I've done something like that with a few markers. Here's one on the US-Canada border in NH:

October_8_1004.sized.jpg

However my insert is square which is easy. I just use MS Paint and lay the square on top of the larger area picture. For round overlays, you'd have to get a little fancier. I'd be happy to give step by step instructions if any one is interested (that is for the square case, not the round, which I have not done).

Edited by Papa-Bear-NYC

Great way to combine the closeup and area photo. But I doubt the NGS photo standards have provision for dealing with it in their photo collection.

The two disks are an interesting example of a RESET and original both being found. Not the usual case.

I find it curious that both are VERTCON. I would have expected the original, as a FIRST ORDER mark to have ADJUSTED elevation.

The RESET was installed because the guard rail (evidently built after the older disk was set), was directly over the older mark so that a level rod could not be held on the disk. The older disk was not in danger, it just wasn't usable.

For some reason the older mark must not have been included in the NAVD 88 readjustment, so its NGVD 29 height was converted to NAVD 88 using VERTCON, see notes copied and pasted below.

Also note that this datasheet has links to 3 photos of the mark.

HT0496* NAD 83(1986)- 37 31 46.50 (N) 122 21 45.39 (W) HD_HELD1

HT0496* NAVD 88 - 93.15 (+/-2cm) 305.6 (feet) VERTCON

HT0496 ___________________________________________________________________

HT0496 GEOID HEIGHT- -32.58 (meters) GEOID09

HT0496 VERT ORDER - FIRST CLASS II (See Below)

HT0496

HT0496.The horizontal coordinates were established by differentially corrected

HT0496.hand held GPS obs and have an estimated accuracy of +/- 3 meters.

HT0496

HT0496.The NAVD 88 height was computed by applying the VERTCON shift value to

HT0496.the NGVD 29 height (displayed under SUPERSEDED SURVEY CONTROL.)

HT0496.The vertical order pertains to the NGVD 29 superseded value.

HT0496

HT0496.Photographs are available for this station.

GeorgeL

NGS

TillaMurphs,

I can see using that type of photo representation in a couple of venues. Can you share information on the software used and your methodology?

Also clicked on your link to the BM. That's one popular piece of brass!!

Cheers,

JCS

Hi Oakie'sKid,

Sorry - that was not my photo - it is just one I saw in the gallery.

However, I imagine they used photo editing software to crop a circle off a close-up photo of the disk and then copied it onto the second, wider, photo. Then they added a couple of lines. I think it looks kind of cool as long the close-up doesn't cover up relevant info in the wide photo.

Neat photos. I may have to try that sometime. I have seen the same thing done out her in Orange County CA, in the county Geomatic department database. The database itself is a little clunky, but the data is there. Some marks (newer ones) have similar style pictures. Might be something NGS should consider in the future.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

OK, I've figured it out. Here's my contribution.

1208180a-e318-4edb-81de-2b6de7a82c2a.jpg

I don' have any "fancy" photo software. I do, however, have SnagIt 8 for capturing screen shots. Here, I just did a little editing in the SnagIt Editor (the same editing tools show up in the SnagIt Capture Preview window). SnagIt doesn't have a circle crop tool (wish it did), but does have an ellipical tool. As decrep notes below, it takes a little practice to turn the ellipse into a circle in the right location, but it can be done. With the ellipse highlighted, I do a copy, then open the "larger" photo, do a paste, and add lines.

Edited by Okie'sKid

I was inspired to see how difficult this sort of thing would be to do. (looks like I'm too late, Okie got it already)

fc48c173-45b7-40d2-8d4d-16bd95dc1ce0.jpg

Here's what I came up with after 15 minutes of monkeying with it. I'm using Photoshop elements version 3.

I loaded both photos into the photo bin, and resized the disk closeup to an appropriate ratio for the other image. Then I selected just the disk by using the "rectangular marquee tool", except after you click on "rectangular marquee tool" there is an option to change it to "eliptical marquee tool". It takes practice, but using that you can highlight just the disk. Then do a copy, then paste on the other image. Then you can move around what you just pasted with the "move tool". Then draw your lines with the "line tool". Go into the layer menu, click "merge visible", and you're all set. With practice you could do it in a minute or two.

Edited by dcrep

Wow! Easier to do than I expected. This image was created with MS Paint. I adjusted the size of the benchmark photo, and cropped it, using the photo editor in Microsoft Office (Professional). Then I opened the background photo in PAINT. To overlay the benchmark, I clicked IMAGE, ATRIBUTES, and PASTE FROM.

To draw a straight line in PAINT, hold down the SHIFT key while moving the cursor.

I probably will use this only occasionally, but for this station (FB2737), it seemed appropriate. By the way, the disk's position within the state outline is geographically correct.

e45d58d7-6104-4b40-81ab-a1b8be82adaa.jpg

Edited by PFF
"This thread is like watching my parents try and use an e-mail program for the first time."

One more hint, Mom. The ENTER key is the same thing as CARRIAGE RETURN. :D

-PFF-

That depends. Back in the early programming days (like FORTRAN), you used to have to enter two codes, one for a CARRIAGE RETURN and one for a LINE FEED! :) So, actually, I think and ENTER key is more like both codes together in one key. :P

Klemmer

(parent)

:P

P.S. Ask a 12 year old what a carriage is. Horses? :)

Using "MS Picture It!" (MSPI) software enables me to do split-screens, which I usually make only for the rod type of mark. And for most marks of any type that I find, I'll generally add an arrow in the setting pic.

MSPI does have tools to impose the mark's close-up shot on top of the setting pic (as this thread obv. shows), but I usually don't take the time to create those types of pics. They're very nicely done, though.

For example, this is AE2509. (OT: found in beat up condition, as most of these 'protective' cast cap & sleeves seem to be.)

40d04de3-7964-4566-b01b-1b184bbbabe0.jpg

Here's one I just did using the freeware program Photoscape. It crops roundly, but saves the crop in a square blank background. So far, anyway, haven't figured out how to save only the cropped portion (although it says it does). Kind of a neat idea, but it does take more time. Probably good for those special benchmarks we want to show off now and then. This is just one a picked at random, MC0161

BM_MC0161_3plus.jpg

Edited by GrizzFlyer

Learning Corel Draw by osmoses I believe there is a way to designate a certain color as transparent. If you make your background a particular shade of blue (or any other color you want) and designate it as transparent any thing that color will not show up when pasted onto another picture and the background shows through.

I have not done it myself but my wife does it all the time; and she likes to chatter about such stuff, hence I am learning Corel Draw by osmoses. :unsure:

Here's one I just did using the freeware program Photoscape. It crops roundly, but saves the crop in a square blank background. So far, anyway, haven't figured out how to save only the cropped portion (although it says it does). Kind of a neat idea, but it does take more time. Probably good for those special benchmarks we want to show off now and then. This is just one a picked at random, MC0161

BM_MC0161_3plus.jpg

Save as> gif. .................jpg will not do transparencies.

I then use Microsoft photo editor to make the background transparent with the tools and save as gif.