2010 New Years Bash

Happy Hunters SA

GC22R23

The event will be held at Rusty Hook on Saturday 30 January 2010 at 12:00. We are inviting all fellow Geocachers (from near and far) to join us for a informal and relaxed afternoon. The venue will be held on the deck that overlooks the dam.

Rusty Hook is a family friendly location with a nice dam and plenty of ducks. For the hungry there is a open menu to order from, they do cater for the thirsty as well.

This would be a ideal opportunity for old and new Geocachers to meet and mingle.

We would appreciate it if you could give us the number of people in your team that would be attending the event. We need to make sure that there would be enough seating to accomodate everyone.

This is great news...we almost missed this new post because we didn't receive the notification from GS.

We know Rusty Hook very well.... we have even fished there back in 2006 (Nadia was 4 months old) when they still allowed fishing. But thanks to all the so called fishermen who damaged fish while trying to "release" them back into the water (catch & release), they decided to stop people fishing there.

It is still a lovely venue and it has been over a year since we were last there.

We should be able to attend, however depending on Enzo's nap time we may get there a bit later on in the afternoon. Not sure how he will be sleeping by then, as he starts with school/creche on Monday, and his nap time may change as a result. But either way count us in - 2 adults and 2 kiddies.

Cheers

Silvia

This is great news...we almost missed this new post because we didn't receive the notification from GS.

We know Rusty Hook very well.... we have even fished there back in 2006 (Nadia was 4 months old) when they still allowed fishing. But thanks to all the so called fishermen who damaged fish while trying to "release" them back into the water (catch & release), they decided to stop people fishing there.

It is still a lovely venue and it has been over a year since we were last there.

We should be able to attend, however depending on Enzo's nap time we may get there a bit later on in the afternoon. Not sure how he will be sleeping by then, as he starts with school/creche on Monday, and his nap time may change as a result. But either way count us in - 2 adults and 2 kiddies.

Cheers

Silvia

Hi Rolf

Concerning Rusty Hook and the fishing.

Rusty Hook has once again allowed people fishing. Now it costs you a sum of R1oo.oo a day to fish there and hopefully now it will keep the so called fishermen away.

Cheers

Silvia

Hi Rolf

Concerning Rusty Hook and the fishing.

Rusty Hook has once again allowed people fishing. Now it costs you a sum of R1oo.oo a day to fish there and hopefully now it will keep the so called fishermen away.

Oh wow...we didn't think they would allow it again. Glad to hear that we can fish there again....but with the Event there won't be any time to go fishing!

We would like everyone to bring their GPS device/s with to the event. In a recent discussion started by gerhardoosMPsa

on the Groundspeak forum about the accuracy of the different makes and models of GPS device/s.We were contacted by Gerhard to see if we could do this test. We would like to see how these Gps models compare to each other by doing a practical test in the accuracy of different models. We think that would be a very interesting experiment.

GC22R23

The event will be held at Rusty Hook on Saturday 30 January 2010 at 12:00. We are inviting all fellow Geocachers (from near and far) to join us for a informal and relaxed afternoon. The venue will be held on the deck that overlooks the dam.

Rusty Hook is a family friendly location with a nice dam and plenty of ducks. For the hungry there is a open menu to order from, they do cater for the thirsty as well.

This would be a ideal opportunity for old and new Geocachers to meet and mingle.

We would appreciate it if you could give us the number of people in your team that would be attending the event. We need to make sure that there would be enough seating to accomodate everyone.

Am I correct in saying that this is the place

http://www.rustyhook.co.za/contact_us_map.htm

GC22R23

Am I correct in saying that this is the place

http://www.rustyhook.co.za/contact_us_map.htm

Yes that is the map for the venue.

Here are the coords for the venue.

S 26° 04.809 E 027° 54.300

Edited by Happy Hunters SA

Wow, seems like we're heading for a good turnout on Saturday. So far 30 teams (71 members in total)have confirmed their intent to be at the event.

We're really looking forward to seeing everyone there!! :D

See you there! Remember, I'll be the dirty oke with the bike coming via off-road Soweto. From Pretoria. Serious!

71 people? Gee, I hope not too many pitch at the Microfest... I told my daughters they must make muffins for the morning... I expect about 10 people or so... <_<

Well Anton you are the master of stats?!? You let us know what the record is for the most people at a event?

Another interesting bit of information....there is a whole series being published on Saturday....Some FtF up for grabs!!

Drix ...everyones welcome..just remeber to bring the Gps devices with. Every team will get 2 flags with the coords printed on them.All you need to do is to put your name on the flag as well as your gps model. We would like everyone to plant their flags and during the afternoon check it about 3 times. Then we can look at the result after that has been done.

Well Anton you are the master of stats?!? You let us know what the record is for the most people at a event?

Drix ...everyones welcome..just remeber to bring the Gps devices with. Every team will get 2 flags with the coords printed on them.All you need to do is to put your name on the flag as well as your gps model. We would like everyone to plant their flags and during the afternoon check it about 3 times. Then we can look at the result after that has been done.

Anyone travel without their GPS? <_< What if there's a cache around the next corner...?

The 2 competitive events that I did as part of Team Da Garma had 32 teams (dunno how many people) at NOLY (The Neighbour of Leap Year's Day Bash) and 30 teams/95 people at KotC (Keepers of the Cache (2008 Geocaching Event))

BTW, has the argument on WAAS in SA been settled? On the Garmin site it simply says WAAS is only in North America. Then I have heard that if you turn it on in SA (assuming there is no WAAS) it actually worsens your result. AND then I heard that WAAS is being tested in SA, so you might get some WAAS assistance on your device, but I don't think there is an indicator to show it (on my Oregon anyway, not sure)?

So maybe we should just all make sure it is turned off to ensure a standard? As you anyway don't know if it helps or not?

The last I heard WAAS was not supported in South Africa. My e-trex WAAS is not enabled, never had it on from the time i got it. So I dont even know if that would make any difference if it is enabled or not. But a good pointer for the test, will make sure we everyones setting are the same. I am just curious to see what the spread of all the flags would be like after everyones done!!

We might be able to see what the average distance is from a placed cache.

Dont really know what to expect to be honest. Just very interested in the result!!

Anyone travel without their GPS? <_< What if there's a cache around the next corner...?

The 2 competitive events that I did as part of Team Da Garma had 32 teams (dunno how many people) at NOLY (The Neighbour of Leap Year's Day Bash) and 30 teams/95 people at KotC (Keepers of the Cache (2008 Geocaching Event))

BTW, has the argument on WAAS in SA been settled? On the Garmin site it simply says WAAS is only in North America. Then I have heard that if you turn it on in SA (assuming there is no WAAS) it actually worsens your result. AND then I heard that WAAS is being tested in SA, so you might get some WAAS assistance on your device, but I don't think there is an indicator to show it (on my Oregon anyway, not sure)?

So maybe we should just all make sure it is turned off to ensure a standard? As you anyway don't know if it helps or not?

The last time when I spoke to the man in charge of the GPS reference beacons in South Africa, I was told that there are NO plans to implement a Satelite Based Augmentation System (SBAS) in South Africa.

North America has SBAS and is called Wide Area Aumentation System (WAAS), Europe's is called European Geostationary Navigation Overlay Service (EGNOS).

South Africa does have a system which is called TRIGNET, and way better in accuracy compared to WAAS, but is not Satelite based, and thus not WAAS compatible. Free corrections for registered users are received via the internet. (NTRIP)

Prof Charles Merry, the owner of S.A.'s oldest surviving cache, Sentinel View wrote this article in 2007.

I got it working on my GPS III+ and my pc, but wasn't too practical at the time. It will also work on all Garmins which are DGPS capable but probably excludes the WAAS capable units. To see if your Garmin is capable, look on the Interface Page in the menu for RTCM IN under input/output formats.

For what it's worth, I leave WAAS disabled on my GPSr.

Sorry... I got carried away so bietjie....

I would like to thank all those who came to the event and made it so special. Also reading the logs so far, you all seemed to appreciate it. But I would be remiss if I did not acknowledge all those who had a hand in making it the success it was.:

Firstly, to the coordinators and visionaries, Happy Hunters SA: Although we had toyed with the idea of having an event, you ran with it and got the listing published. Thanks for putting the wheels into motion while I was away caching and hiking in the Cape. Thank you for your your patience through the slew of e-mails and phone calls it took to come up with the finished product. It was much appreciated.

Secondly, I would like to thank Fish Eagle for the donation of the gift of the trial membership. Although you were not able to be with us all, your presence was felt through this donation. I am sure the team that won will use it to turbo charge their enjoyment of the game.

Last, but not lease, I would like to thank the whole GreenJaM team for your ideas and encouragement and support to see this venture through. Thank you for your investment in bringing such a wide variety of coins into the country for others to enjoy and buy. But most especially, thank you for donating the ten prizes for the draw which included one of the latest Soccer World Cup coins. I am sure each of the recipients will treasure their prize.

Some of you with whom I have caches before or whom I have got to know through previous events received permanent name badges (polymer coated plastic with a magnetic mount) with your team name and name printed on it. Please keep them and remember to wear them at future events. It does help getting to know fellow cachers at events. If there is sufficient interest, I can have a further batch produced. Please contact me with your details and I will confirm with you the price etc.

This log has to start with an enormous thank you to everyone who attended our event yesterday and helped to make it such a success. It was wonderful for us to finally meet many cachers whose names we've seen on logs but also to meet up with old friends. To GreenJaM, your donation of 10 lucky draw prizes came as a huge surprise and was completely unexpected, thanks for that!! To Fish Eagle, thank you for your donation of a trial premium membership to a cacher who has never enjoyed premium membership or a trial version thereof, JohanChristel were the happy winners of that lucky draw. It was also wonderful to welcome Boudewijn (our international visitor from the Netherlands) to our event and also to meet Carbon Hunter and to finally get answers to our question on earthcaches......"why". But all jokes aside, as much as we run out of things to say about yet another rock in a veld, your earthcaches have been very interesting CH and have taken us to places we would otherwise never have seen. It was super to finally meet you. To our co-host Bruce, planning this event with you was great fun. Thanks for all your help, the nametags were fantastic!! This was excellent teamwork.

The accuracy test on a flat grassy area was extremely interesting especially as weather conditions changed while we were at the event going from overcast on arrival to sunshine later in the afternoon. Flags were made for each team to plant including Netherlands flags for Bouderwijn and some cachers planted extra flags specifically to see if their original placement changed as a result of the change in the weather, and yes, the 2nd placement was different to the first, sometimes a difference of 1m. The difference between the furthest flags was approximately 8m with the main cluster of flags being in a 2m circle. Some flags were a lot closer to the pub (at least those cachers could get back to the pub quickly and enjoy some liquid refreshment), others flags moved more north. All flags were generally close and luckily nobody was so far off that they had to venture into the dam to plant their flag. It was great to see such an interest in the accuracy test as cachers often wandered to the test site to see the difference in placements. To see all the SA flags and the 2 Netherlands flags planted made for a wonderful sight. A total of 48 flags were planted. It would be very interesting to do this test again in an area where there are rocks or trees as this venue didn't have that and to then see the difference in the results.

We’ll soon be uploading all the photos of the event for everyone’s enjoyment so do log in again to check those out. Please remember to log your TBs and GCs out of the event.

The CITO event that RedGlobe is hosting is on the 27 February and hope to see you all there. GC236B4

We hope to see everyone again soon, either on the road caching or at Drix’s event on 27 March.