Bloody Nanos! Spawn of satan. Burn down the Nano factory, and exterminate anyone who sells Nanos.

Freddo

As long as the difficulty rating is appropriate, the cache page mentions the size, and they aren't hidden in a spot that would support a larger cache, I don't really see what the problem is. If you don't like a particular sort of cache, nobody's forcing you to look for it.

I think Nano's make people mad because they can't find them. GeoCaching takes a lot of brain power to get around the size of what you are looking for. It has been said before if you don't like them ignore them and stop complaining.

There are many Cachers that can't take 12 mile hikes into the woods to find caches. Nano's, Micros could be looked at as the ADA"s influence on Caching.

If only we could ignore them. But to do so we need to ignore all the rest of the micro caches along with the unlisted size.

There is nothing clever about a nano. Most are either stuck to the back of a street sign of some type or fall into the needle in a haystack style of hide.

I've been giving this nano thing a lot of thought.

WHY do people hate them?

I see the argument that a "larger" cache could be placed in the same general area, but why have a larger one? If you aren't a swag trader, why do you care if there is more room than the log requires? What's the big deal?

It is because they are too hard to find? Yeah, it's because they are too hard to find... I knew it.

WHY do people hate them?

I see the argument that a "larger" cache could be placed in the same general area, but why have a larger one? If you aren't a swag trader, why do you care if there is more room than the log requires? What's the big deal?

It is because they are too hard to find? Yeah, it's because they are too hard to find... I knew it.

Think what you will as to why. Is it such a bad thing to be allowed to sort a unique class of hide out of our cache lists? I don't think anyone is seriously asking that they be eliminated.

WHY do people hate them?

I don't hate nanos, and I'm not really into swag that much (but I do like to move TBs around), but I still find that there's just something viscerally satisfying about finding a larger container. I usually don't trade swag, but I enjoy looking through the cache and flipping through a logbook. Opening up a nano and squinting at the initials on the scroll just isn't the same.

I do appreciate the challenge of a micro or nano hidden well.

Similarly, but on the other end of the size spectrum, I find it a bit silly when people go to ridiculous lengths to hide a larger cache in a space where a small or a micro would be safer and more appropriate.

Back in 2000, if Dave Ulmer had hidden a nano on a street sign, or a film can stuffed into the end of a guardrail, I doubt that there would be anything called geocaching right now. The game took off because of the trade items,

not because of an urge to leave a "tag" name hidden somewhere. :unsure::)

It's like the question of how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop...

The world will never know.

Back in 2000, if Dave Ulmer had hidden a nano on a street sign, or a film can stuffed into the end of a guardrail, I doubt that there would be anything called geocaching right now. The game took off because of the trade items,

not because of an urge to leave a "tag" name hidden somewhere. :unsure::)

The game took off because it's fun to find things that other people hide.

Nanos are good for the numbers and that's about it.

My smaller caches are not likely to help you if you are on a numbers run. Not many muggles so your hunt is unlikely to be disturbed. The containers are custom crafted and highly cammoed. If you have a disdain for small hides you will miss out on the fun. You choose. :unsure:

I have a series of "urban" nanos in Newport, RI.

One is at the sight of where Gen Washington arrived at Newport duirng the Revolution, but is also the sight of the largest public execution in American history (26 pirates were hanged in 1723).

Nope, that'd be Mankato, Minnesota. 38 Dakota Indian men hanged on December 26, 1862. A record I hope no one will want to top.

There are many Cachers that can't take 12 mile hikes into the woods to find caches. Nano's, Micros could be looked at as the ADA"s influence on Caching.

Oh not so lol. I do not have a single nano hidden. I try and place regular and small caches when possible. I even had a large cache. Im handicapped.

If only we could ignore them. But to do so we need to ignore all the rest of the micro caches along with the unlisted size.

I enjoy some nano hides, but I agree with this. It should be a new size category so folks can ignore them if they wish. Or just so we know what we are hunting for. A nano is something I leave for days when Mike caches with me, not when Im out on my own.

not because of an urge to leave a "tag" name hidden somewhere. :rolleyes::D

It's like the question of how many licks it takes to get to the center of a tootsie pop...

The world will never know.

Doesn't Mr. Owl say 3? :anibad:

No, I actually agree with the 4wheelin_fool, it would have never taken off if Ulmer had slapped a keyholder on the back of a stop sign. Not so sure it had anything to do with trade items though.

I dont think nanos are so bad.....IF....They are used for a place where a larger cache is not ideal and/or if used for multi cache coord stages. I also enjoy when people get creative and alter an object to fit a secret nano inside, this is entertaining and challenging. Yesterday i found a nano attached to a curbstone rod that pulled out of the stone, the find was awesome. Nanos make for great opportunities for geocammoed hides. Im not talking about evil hides just the creative hidden in plain sight kind. These also help hone the geosense. No I dont really enjoy the nano in the stop sign placed for no particular reason or anything of the like. I do symathize with the OP though sometimes it does seem like Micros and Nanos are breeding exponentially and it can get annoying. Its all part of the game!

don't exterminate me! if you need nanos check out my profile ;)

I found that micro that you hid on the end of that odd section of guardrail that somehow extended 10 feet into the middle of the lake. I shimmied out there and although it did delight me, you will need to name the source of your nano supplier so we can track the origin..:(

:mad: I am so glad you like that one!

don't exterminate me! if you need nanos check out my profile ;)

I found that micro that you hid on the end of that odd section of guardrail that somehow extended 10 feet into the middle of the lake. I shimmied out there and although it did delight me, you will need to name the source of your nano supplier so we can track the origin..:(

:mad: I am so glad you like that one!

That is my favorite guardrail micro of all time. Exactly what I would have done. :(

More spawn of satan.

http://www.geocachingstuff.com/nanologroller.html

Someone exterminate these people.

I believe that is a slotted quilling tool. Beginners in quilling have used those for years, to roll paper into beautiful designs.

Disclaimer: the "expert" quillers use a non-slotted tool, but I never got that far. My fingers don't do "fiddly" all that well.

See http://www.amazon.com/Darice-1162-42-Slott...8651&sr=1-6

(It's cheaper there, too)

Ooooh, you are bringing back bad memories of community hall afternoons surrounded by old ladies and their gossipy tongues.

Hard drive magnets work fine and they are basically free!

I've never figured out a good way to remove the magnet from the metal plate they are glued to after disassembling a hard drive. How do you go about doing it?

I have never done it myself but I read somewhere the the best way to get the magnets off is to put the metal plate and knock the magnet off sideways. It will break if you try to pry them off. Wear safety glasses when you do because rare earth magnets are quite fragile.

Everyone has their preferences but I' take a nano anyway over a hike in the woods through prickers, past leaves of three and bugs....to find yet another ammo can infested with ants and with 10 whatever poker chip things. Of the ammo cans that I have found, only one had any content worth mentioning. I've found nanos that took me to interesting urban settings. The neat thing is that we all get to hide and find what we want. :blink:

Nanos taste good! Some are a bit crunchy, and sometimes hurt on the way out...

I think I have one cache that could be considered a nano, but it is not traditional. I think when the site was

devised they didn't consider the lengths that people would go to to hide their caches. How about a "micro-dot" find? Has anyone hidden a micro-dot that takes a microscope to see and special tools to log? That should be a 5 terrain for tools...

We NEED a nano category separate from the "micro" category. Probably too late...