Bloody Nanos! Spawn of satan. Burn down the Nano factory, and exterminate anyone who sells Nanos.

Freddo

Nice avatar ;-)

More on topic - some years back a cacher local to me invented the Mr Magneto. I believe it was the first time a very small container had been specifically manufactured as a geocache (a modest alteration from the blinkies that were in use). He'd had them for sale for some months. Then went caching after a hiatus. He showed up in the local forums complaining about the needle in a haystack hides! he'd envisioned Mr Magneto as stage coords for multi-caches, or cleverly camo'ed to survive urban environments, but findable by cachers. That people would simply stick one "somewhere" on a railroad car, tank, old bridge .... hadn't occurred to him.

The sweet irony

Button nano caches!! Don't you just hate those dadgum things.

I have a series of "urban" nanos in Newport, RI. All are in locations that cannot support anything larger (trust me, I've tried). All are at a unique location, and the hints and locations make it extremely easy to find them. Locations include scenic spots, or spots with cool history (local and/or national). One is at the sight of where Gen Washington arrived at Newport duirng the Revolution, but is also the sight of the largest public execution in American history (26 pirates were hanged in 1723).

All have been well received, and people tend to do the entire series. They have been found not only by thelocals, but by visitors to the area. One is near the dock where launches from incoming cruise ships drop off passengers - that one gets a lot of "visiting on ship XXX and justhad to do this one."

So, no, I do not blanketly hate them. I don't like them when they are randomly stuck on guard rails or stop signs with no real thought as to why they are placed there.

I have a series of "urban" nanos in Newport, RI. All are in locations that cannot support anything larger (trust me, I've tried). All are at a unique location, and the hints and locations make it extremely easy to find them. Locations include scenic spots, or spots with cool history (local and/or national). One is at the sight of where Gen Washington arrived at Newport duirng the Revolution, but is also the sight of the largest public execution in American history (26 pirates were hanged in 1723).

All have been well received, and people tend to do the entire series. They have been found not only by thelocals, but by visitors to the area. One is near the dock where launches from incoming cruise ships drop off passengers - that one gets a lot of "visiting on ship XXX and justhad to do this one."

So, no, I do not blanketly hate them. I don't like them when they are randomly stuck on guard rails or stop signs with no real thought as to why they are placed there.

Sounds highly cool. Here, I'll plug them for you: Newport Nano keyword search I will return to Newport, find them, and attend one of your events (which I remember threatening in the past). :D

So yeah, you can't hate them all. Although the sub-title of the thread is pretty funny, I must say. Well, except maybe the part about exterminating nano sellers. :rolleyes:

Oh, and thanks for being one of the fraction of 1% of Geocachers who list their nano's as micros.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I'm not a fan of nano-size caches. Most of the locations I've found them in would have supported a larger cache if only the hider had a little more creativity. Nanos are, however, part of the geocaching universe, like it or not. With a little know how you can avoid most of them using filters -- I've created a GSAK macro that scans all cache writeups and logs in my database for certain terms like "nano" and flags those caches for my review. It helps me avoid caches I probably would rather not hunt.

Accept the fact that you can't change the world, but you can change the way you hunt. Do what works for you.

Exterminating nano sellers, however, is not recommended. :blink:

A well placed nano is fine. Turning them into "evil hides" isn't so cool.

I like being able to get out of the car and seeing the nano stuck to the tag nail on a telephone pole but I HATE it when someone tucks a nano into a little hole that you can only find by blindly feeling for it. That's a good way to get bit by a spider or stuck by a needle.

A well placed nano is fine. Turning them into "evil hides" isn't so cool.

I like being able to get out of the car and seeing the nano stuck to the tag nail on a telephone pole but I HATE it when someone tucks a nano into a little hole that you can only find by blindly feeling for it. That's a good way to get bit by a spider or stuck by a needle.

Oh come on... getting stuck by a needle is a geocaching rite of passage! :blink:

But seriously, there was a nano cache that was placed on the underside of a bridge on a bike path, about 10 feet off the ground. The difficulty was rated as a 5 and the coordinates were some 40 feet off, and it hadn't been found in nearly a year (despite repeated attempts). So, a group of local cachers got together with the previous finder and held a 2-hour mini-event to find the darn thing, with hints from the previous finder. A year's worth of spider webs, dirt, muck, and creepy crawlies had accumulated at the cache site, and some acrobatics were needed to physically get within reach of the site.

Not only did I get to make the smiley, but I met a number of other local cachers that I knew only through cache logs. It was great fun, which wouldn't have happened except for that evil needle-in-a-haystack nano.

That was in October; it has not been found since.

I don't like the logs in nanos. It's a whip to unroll the little things then roll them up again and hope they fit. Or you can't get the log out so you shake the cap and then the log and magnet go flying. :blink:

I only have 1 nano hide that I can think of and it's on a bench next to a very unique fountain. There was just no way to hide anything larger.

I have mixed feelings about them. Sometimes I love them and sometimes I hate them. I've visited certain places and out of the 20 caches we found, 15 were nanos, but something larger would have worked. That's frustrating. I also hate how hard they are to re-roll the log once it has a few signatures.

Oh, and thanks for being one of the fraction of 1% of Geocachers who list their nano's as micros.

I have a nano hide and was told it was mislabeled because I called it a micro. :blink:

And we have our Annual Beer & Wing Night coming up 23 Jan! If traditions continue, it will be the coldest night of the year!

Actually, this year I'm hoping for record warmth. ;)

They have their place. Problem is, they are not always used in those situations.

I agree. They serve a purpose for places you can't fit anything else. And you can camo them. Isn't that the reason for high ratings on difficulty. But nanos in a forest that is just not right. I like nanos, but forests or areas that could have larger caches should use them.

I'm fine with nanos.

Just because I've hidden a few doesn't influence that sentiment.

There are places and styles of hide which can't be done otherwise (besides, strong enough magnets to hold an ammo can to the bottom of a utility box cost a lot of money)

There are some extremely well done nano hides I've found where the area could have supported a larger cache, but no where as cleverly done as the nano hides and my hat is certainly off to those cachers who are so inventive to make the search more than pulling aside a rock to find yet another Lock & Lock or 35mm canister.

Not saying I haven't found a few lame nanos, but that's what logs are for - to express your experience in finding the cache (don't be too surprised if your vinegar log entry for the find being deleted by the CO.)

I'm fine with nanos.

Just because I've hidden a few doesn't influence that sentiment.

There are places and styles of hide which can't be done otherwise (besides, strong enough magnets to hold an ammo can to the bottom of a utility box cost a lot of money)

There are some extremely well done nano hides I've found where the area could have supported a larger cache, but no where as cleverly done as the nano hides and my hat is certainly off to those cachers who are so inventive to make the search more than pulling aside a rock to find yet another Lock & Lock or 35mm canister.

Not saying I haven't found a few lame nanos, but that's what logs are for - to express your experience in finding the cache (don't be too surprised if your vinegar log entry for the find being deleted by the CO.)

Hard drive magnets work fine and they are basically free!

Oh, I have those, but often glue becomes brittle and they come off (unless I want to do some drilling and sealing work) It would still take a few strong ones to hold up a well stocked ammo can. Also a bit unsure of the environmental impact of rare earth magnets, so I prefer to place them inside the container.

Blinkies come with their own magnet, inside.

I've never figured out a good way to remove the magnet from the metal plate they are glued to after disassembling a hard drive. How do you go about doing it?

I've actually had more success looking for blinkers than some other hides, as long as I know what they are, and they're not a needle in haystack hide.

And it comes out in the seventh post after 8 years. :blink: No need to hold anything back so long.. ;)

Bloody Nanos! Spawn of satan. Burn down the Nano factory, and exterminate anyone who sells Nanos.

I attempted that, but nobody seems to know where the "nano factory" is, or can find it...

It is rumoured to be housed in a small shack 18 x 23 inches, and staffed by tiny rodents...

I've never figured out a good way to remove the magnet from the metal plate they are glued to after disassembling a hard drive. How do you go about doing it?

I've actually had more success looking for blinkers than some other hides, as long as I know what they are, and they're not a needle in haystack hide.

I usually just use a box cutter. Believe it or not, the glue isn't all that strong.

I usually just use a box cutter. Believe it or not, the glue isn't all that strong.

Some have a thick plating and appear to be contact-welded in place. A chisel sometimes works, but sometimes it just breaks it into pieces. Often best to just leave the magnet on its mount and attach that to the cache.

These magnets are so strong they can often be placed inside containers.

I wouldn't say that I hate Button nanos, I would say that I dislike all micros.

Dadgummit. :lol:

Even the two that you own? :blink:

You nail 'em on that every time, Mr. Naked Rush guy. Funny you nailed the other naked forum guy in this particular case. :D

I'm just glad I never said I hate all micros. At least I don't think I ever did. ;)

don't exterminate me! if you need nanos check out my profile :blink:

I found that micro that you hid on the end of that odd section of guardrail that somehow extended 10 feet into the middle of the lake. I shimmied out there and although it did delight me, you will need to name the source of your nano supplier so we can track the origin..;)

I would prefer if there were an additional size "Nano". In that case avoiding those geocaches would be quite easy by unchecking the appropriate box when getting a PQ.

Sometimes the size "other" is used, even if by the guidelines micro is the correct one for Nano-caches.

GermanSailor

Had to say, loved the title of this thread. ;) Now hopefully my keyboard will dry out without problem after I spit some soda all over it.

Please don't burn down Apple. After all they make more sizes of ipod's than the nano. :) Now if we are talking blinky's, I'm game. ;)

Had to say, loved the title of this thread. ;) Now hopefully my keyboard will dry out without problem after I spit some soda all over it.

Please don't burn down Apple. After all they make more sizes of ipod's than the nano. :) Now if we are talking blinky's, I'm game. ;)

Ipod Nano's are great, but the Ipod Shuffle is lame. Maybe if they lowered the price to about $15.

As I've stated in the past, I surf the new cache listings in New York, Pa., and Ontario a couple times a week. It's getting to the point where 90%+ (just my estimate) of Nano's are listed as "other size". And that's quite a varied geocaching landscape there from Philadelphia to say Thunder Bay, eh? New size category now please. Or at the very least, consistently deployed copy and paste reviewer notes educating cache placers.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

I think Nano's make people mad because they can't find them. GeoCaching takes a lot of brain power to get around the size of what you are looking for. It has been said before if you don't like them ignore them and stop complaining.

There are many Cachers that can't take 12 mile hikes into the woods to find caches. Nano's, Micros could be looked at as the ADA"s influence on Caching.

Edited by BrrrMo