Becoming a reviewer

Schuhhirsch, this thread will likely become a series of jokes somewhat at your expense.

OK, let me be first. We joke that anyone who wants the job probably has something wrong with them.

Wait, I am one! :rolleyes:

~erik~ :D

Edited to add: Yes, it is nice of you to volunteer. Have a happy 2010!

Edited by erik88l-r
Schuhhirsch, this thread will likely become a series of jokes somewhat at your expense.

OK, let me be first. We joke that anyone who wants the job probably has something wrong with them.

Wait, I am one! :)

~erik~ :D

Edited to add: Yes, it is nice of you to volunteer. Have a happy 2010!

Ok, I got the point, even before I was posting :D

To be honest: beeing a reviewer is the last I want to do. I prefer supporting the community by logging their caches and place own from time to time.

Beeing more honest: I somewhere heard, that Groundspeak was sending mail to people who introduced themself as reviewer. Content: "herewith we confirm, that XYZ has introduced him/herself as reviewer, and will never be nominated as one" (or something like this).

I wanted to get such a mail. Nothing happened so far... :rolleyes:

Hope I won't get banned now :D

BTW: (@erik) many (older) cacher are missing you here in .AT

Don't you want to come back, pleeease?

And: I'm used to hear jokes about myself (and my picture) :D

Edited by Schuhhirsch

Darn, it's no fun to make fun of someone who has a sense of humor and doesn't get in a huff when his post isn't treated with the dignity of a Papal Bull. You take all the fun out of it.

But seriously one of the requirements is to have hidden several dozen or hundreds of caches. At this point your profile indicates you are several dozen short of that requirement so get out there and hide, hide, hide.

Edited by Walts Hunting

Darn, it's no fun to make fun of someone who has a sense of humor and doesn't get in a huff when his post isn't treated with the dignity of a Papal Bull. You take all the fun out of it.

But seriously one of the requirements is to have hidden several dozen or hundreds of caches. At this point your profile indicates you are several dozen short of that requirement so get out there and hide, hide, hide.

There is no magic number in terms of hides for reviewers, and some don't have numbers as high as you suggest. Instead, the question is whether the person has shown that they know and respect the guidelines for hiding a cache. Owning many caches that conform to the guidelines is one way to demonstrate that, but it is not the only way.

I'm not a reviewer, and have never even met one personally. But I have held similar volunteer positions in other organizations.

Based on those experiences, I suspect that in order to become a reviewer, one must commit some serious infraction of the rules. Being appointed to the position of Reviewer would be your punishment.

Here's a link to the article on becoming a reviewer.

First, the existing reviewers would feel a need for a new reviewer.

As geocaching grows, reviewers are added. It might be you.

Well, that's the standard reply to that sort of question and I have of course already been familiar with it.

What's a more interesting question in this regard is, however, how the selection process works if the existing reviewers feel the need for a new reviewer. From what I read in diverse geocaching fora, it appears to be the case that the existing reviewers are allowed to suggest candidates and that the choice is then made from this list if a suitable candidate is contained in it. A potential disadvantage of this approach might be that there might be a bias towards friends of the already existing reviewers. (Disclaimer: I do not want to become a reviewer.)

Cezanne

Hi all,

AFAIK one gets nominated to become a reviewer.

What can I do to get nominated :blink: ? I really want to get some responsibility...

Regards,

SH

Have you had the proper Stress Training necessary? I mean, that episode back in '05 with all the bodies in the dumpster and what not... don't want to go through that one again. ;)

Hi all,

What can I do to get nominated ;) ? I really want to get some responsibility...

Regards,

SH

You'll have to wait your turn.

I've been around 19 days longer. :lol:

Meh.

So, what you are saying, in addition to that which is listed by Keystone in the pertinent info file, he was gravely mistaken in neglecting to add "and been around longer than the rocks at an Earthcache site" as one of the qualifications?

Well, at the very least, you are "working" on that qualification.... :blink:

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Hi all,

What can I do to get nominated :blink: ? I really want to get some responsibility...

Regards,

SH

It's like becoming a Free Mason, you don't ask to become one, they ask you, then it's all done in secret.

"In search of more light"

From Virginia. ;)

Not to stray too far from the topic but that post needs answering.

Freemasons (not Free Mason) cannot ask or invite... in fact our motto, widely publicized for hundreds of years and one of the first lessons a Freemason learns, is "2B1ASK1" meaning "To be one ask one".

Every Freemason stands ready to help any interested applicant petition the Blue Lodge whenever asked, but we won't ask you.

Freemasons (not Free Mason) cannot ask or invite... in fact our motto, widely publicized for hundreds of years and one of the first lessons a Freemason learns, is "2B1ASK1" meaning "To be one ask one".

Every Freemason stands ready to help any interested applicant petition the Blue Lodge whenever asked, but we won't ask you.

That seems to be one of the same motto's of the Knights of the Pythias

I'm not a reviewer, and have never even met one personally.

Well, you don't know that. The name they use as moderator isn't their regular caching name. I found this out when I was asked to call one and while talking I go "I've met you" and he confessed to his geocache name.

Sort of like saying you have never met a gay person.

Ahhh... much like Terraching, except I believe they go by 2B1ASK2.
Frontal lobotomy.

Worked great for me.

Or was that for forum moderator?

No... I believe that you have said before that for moderator, it was the "bottle in front o' me" that did it.

Workin' pretty good for me right now! I'll buy that one.

aawineglasse3s.gif

And BOTH of those are mine, so keep your hands off. :blink:

Well, you don't know that. The name they use as moderator isn't their regular caching name. I found this out when I was asked to call one and while talking I go "I've met you" and he confessed to his geocache name.

So true. I recall being out on a group hike when one of the group was ripping the local reviewer to another geocacher. That other geocacher happened to be the local reviewer. i could barely keep from laughing.

The best way I could think to get nominated is to publish really great caches that follow all the guidelines and get approved on the first pass.

Strive to make good connections with landowners and show that you can help spread the goodwill of geocaching in your area.

When these caches get reviewed and no problems are found and you have preempted any and all problems that the reviewer could find that will highlight you as reviewer potential.

Hold events and CITO's, publish Wherigos and keep your caches maintained. Just have fun, if you do that one day you might be asked.

The best way I could think to get nominated is to publish really great caches that follow all the guidelines and get approved on the first pass.

Strive to make good connections with landowners and show that you can help spread the goodwill of geocaching in your area.

When these caches get reviewed and no problems are found and you have preempted any and all problems that the reviewer could find that will highlight you as reviewer potential.

Hold events and CITO's, publish Wherigos and keep your caches maintained. Just have fun, if you do that one day you might be asked.

I'm reasonably certain that publishing Wherigo caches is not a part of the equation. :blink:

It's not what you know, it's WHO you know.

I think it is WHO and WHAT and WHERE - lets face it, if you live in a sparsely populated area with a long term reviewer and few new placements - there just isn't any need for your services no matter what else is going on and who and what you know!!

I think it is WHO and WHAT and WHERE - lets face it, if you live in a sparsely populated area with a long term reviewer and few new placements - there just isn't any need for your services no matter what else is going on and who and what you know!!

I WHO I know ever gets me involved in that much work and responsibility, I don't think I will be knowing them for very much longer, thank you! I mean, its not as though it is a high-paying position. Status only goes so far.

So true. I recall being out on a group hike when one of the group was ripping the local reviewer to another geocacher. That other geocacher happened to be the local reviewer. i could barely keep from laughing.

I can relate :blink:

Not quite. It does help to be well known in your local community, that is obvious. But many reviewers are unknown to the folks at Groundspeak when the selection process starts and even the person who refers the candidate might never have even had a conversation with him.

WHAT YOU KNOW is the starting point. If you obviously know what you are doing and have a good rep in the community, you might be referred by someone who never met you personally, but only knows of your reputation.

So it is what you know and who knows of you.

Edited by briansnat

You didn't say, but was he telling the truth? Or was it simply an irrational rant?

;):blink:

Not quite. It does help to be well known in your local community, that is obvious. But many reviewers are unknown to the folks at Groundspeak when the selection process starts and even the person who refers the candidate might never have even had a conversation with him.

WHAT YOU KNOW is the starting point. If you obviously know what you are doing and have a good rep in the community, you might be referred by someone who never met you personally, but only knows of your reputation.

So it is what you know and who knows of you.

Lots of people know of me. I bet I'm in the running.

~LOL~

I guess I should have added a smiley after my first comment. I will do it now, posthumorously.

Hi all,

Regards,

SH

It's like becoming a Free Mason, you don't ask to become one, they ask you, then it's all done in secret.

From Virginia. ;)

Thanks for beating me to the post TAR! I will be installed as WM of my lodge on Saturday. :D

I would also add that the secret part is over stated by many folks. Very little, if any, is really secret. :lol:

Hi all,

Regards,

SH

From Virginia. ;)

No, I mean Free Mason, not Freemason. We have a secret handshake that we use when we pass a Mason jar of moonshine. "In search of more light" means that we are making a beer run. But I'm sure that you Freemasons would not know that, because it's secret. You have 2BA Hillbilly 2B1.

Edited by manville p h

Hi all,

What can I do to get nominated ;) ? I really want to get some responsibility...

Regards,

SH

From Virginia. :lol:

No, I mean Free Mason, not Freemason. We have a secret handshake that we use when we pass a Mason jar of moonshine. "In search of more light" means that we are making a beer run. But I'm sure that you Freemasons would not know that, because it's secret. You have 2BA Hillbilly 2B1.

Ya. Thanks for clearing that up. :blink:

if "2B1ASK1" is the case:

Markwell, Motorcycle_Mama, briansnat, CYBret, Keystone, mtn-man, Moose Mob, CYBret, Raine, OpinioNate, Eartha, JoshLytle, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Hemlock, robertlipe, Max Cacher, NJ Admin, Decigi, ectric Mouse, NJ Admin, Team Misguided, MT Fellwalker, Crow T Robot, , RocketMan, jemann + avec, Lewa Nuva, Geovius, riviouveur, JeeperMTJ, ApproV, 2, Antonis_GR, MissJenn,

I am happy to be nominated as a Reviewer

Edited by I_hide_you_Seek

Markwell, Motorcycle_Mama, briansnat, CYBret, Keystone, mtn-man, Moose Mob, CYBret, Raine, OpinioNate, Eartha, JoshLytle, Flying Spaghetti Monster, Hemlock, robertlipe, Max Cacher, NJ Admin, Decigi, ectric Mouse, NJ Admin, Team Misguided, MT Fellwalker, Crow T Robot, , RocketMan, jemann + avec, Lewa Nuva, Geovius, riviouveur, JeeperMTJ, ApproV, 2, Antonis_GR, MissJenn,

I don't thinkGroundspeak goes by the Masonic rules. In fact the Groundspeak rule is that if you want to be a reviewer, you are too crazy to be one. :P

I don't thinkGroundspeak goes by the Masonic rules. In fact the Groundspeak rule is that if you want to be a reviewer, you are too crazy to be one. :P

Correct. Groundspeak goes by 2B1ASK1

Hey, Surfer Joe... can I be the next reviewer when you burn out?

Edited by knowschad

Correct. Groundspeak goes by 2B1ASK1

Hey, Surfer Joe... can I be the next reviewer when you burn out?

:anibad:B)

ok in that case:

I am happy NOT to be a Reviewer

Not only does that list include moderators who are not reviewers, it does not even come close to including all the reviewers. You will need to come up with a complete and accurate list of reviewers before you will be considered to be a new reviewer.

...and their regions of responsibility.

Not only does that list include moderators who are not reviewers, it does not even come close to including all the reviewers. You will need to come up with a complete and accurate list of reviewers before you will be considered to be a new reviewer.

And then you need to decide which one to bump off, to create the necessary vacancy. For example, I am currently in strenous negotiation with a crack team of hit men to cause an unfortunate accident to happen in Las Vegas or Henderson, NV. This takes money, of course.

Worship the blue bow. And donate generously to it's causes.