Do people always stare?

aerosmith77

Hi All!

Just a quick question that may sound weird. I just started caching and have found that every time I am stopped looking for a cache, people always stop and ask if I need help. Is this normal? ...

Maybe normal for you. For me they aren't asking if I need help. They are asking WTF am I doing (or a nicer variation). Normally because I'm running around in a T-shirt in 4' of snow when they find me while I'm looking for a cache, or heading off into the woods with a young girl in a snowstorm clearly ready to dump the body after I do vile things. (nevermind that it's my daughter who wanted to come along and help me hide the cache).

So I'm thinking you have a much kinder countainance that causes people to assume the best.

I think that Renegade Knight is onto something here. What is it about you that makes others feel compelled to approach you? Though you don't have many pictures in your gallery, I can see that you are a young and attractive woman, and from your profile page, it appears that you have an unbearably adorable young dog. Along with the advice that you've been receiving about changing your demeanor, I would suggest that you dress in such a way to make you seem less attractive and to hide your youthful apprearance. Got a big, puffy coat; a uni-sex style hat to tuck your hair into; some clunky, unstylish boots and a pair of huge sunglasses? If not, you could visit your local Goodwill for such items. I'd bet that would cut down the muggle approaches if you were to wear such attire. Then, unless you find that your dog provides cover for your geocaching activities, I would leave the cutie at home if you will be caching in a more public location. You might also see if you can find a formidable man to be your caching buddy.

Is Renegade Knight in your area? :)

Edited by Printess Caroline

Hi All!

Just a quick question that may sound weird. I just started caching and have found that every time I am stopped looking for a cache, people always stop and ask if I need help. Is this normal? ...

Maybe normal for you. For me they aren't asking if I need help. They are asking WTF am I doing (or a nicer variation). Normally because I'm running around in a T-shirt in 4' of snow when they find me while I'm looking for a cache, or heading off into the woods with a young girl in a snowstorm clearly ready to dump the body after I do vile things. (nevermind that it's my daughter who wanted to come along and help me hide the cache).

So I'm thinking you have a much kinder countainance that causes people to assume the best.

I think that Renegade Knight is onto something here. What is it about you that makes others feel compelled to approach you? Though you don't have many pictures in your gallery, I can see that you are a young and attractive woman, and from your profile page, it appears that you have an unbearably adorable young dog. Along with the advice that you've been receiving about changing your demeanor, I would suggest that you dress in such a way to make you seem less attractive and to hide your youthful apprearance. Got a big, puffy coat; a uni-sex style hat to tuck your hair into; some clunky, unstylish boots and a pair of huge sunglasses? If not, you could visit your local Goodwill for such items. I'd bet that would cut down the muggle approaches if you were to wear such attire. Then, unless you find that your dog provides cover for your geocaching activities, I would leave the cutie at home if you will be caching in a more public location. You might also see if you can find a formidable man to be your caching buddy.

Is Renegade Knight in your area? :)

Thank you, Printess Caroline. I have received some good feedback and appreciate your suggestions. I think as time goes by I'm becoming much more comfortable with people stopping to ask. I just decided to act totally and completely confident like I'm on a mission with nothing to hide. lol Someone stopped again today and asked if I was ok and I just said yes thanks and that was it. I was just unsure thinking that maybe I should be doing something differently, but the more I think about it, the less I care... Thanks for your kind remarks. I don't feel comfortable caching alone, so I usually drag my husband, a friend, or my teenage daughter along. They have yet to find the joy in geocaching, but I'm not giving up! Thanks again!

If they're staring, they are not People...they are CacheSnatchers!!

:) Or in my case, another newbie trying to pick up pointers on how to search.

At the same location a week later someone breezed by and said, "is there treasure in there?" I replied, "there ought to be." I think that guy might be the CO, or a knowing resident at the least. The area is otherwise full of tourist muggles who don't seem to notice me at all.