City Navigator 2010 vs. Metroguide

Alan2

I just got a Nuvi 765T with City Navigator 2010 for North America. Just downloaded the upgrade 2010.3 which is for free for the first 60 days after the Nuvi purchase. It added to my computer so I have it accessible in MapSource for use in my Vista GCx although I haven't loaded City Navigator yet. (I currently have Metroguide, US Roads and Recreation and US Topo as well as some other 24K topo maps loaded in the Vista)

What's your experience using City Navigator over Metroguide? Should I load both? Which to use? (I notice that City Navigator does not have some roads in mountain that Metroguide has but City Navigator has other roads that Metro does not have plus more POI's. Metro navigates now in the Vista. Will City Navigator. Will Metroguide Navigate in the Nuvi? Can I select which maps I want to download into the Nuvi through Mapsource.

As an aside, has anyone loaded Garmin maps like US Topo etc in the Nuvi 7x5 units? Problems?

Edited by Alan2

"Metroguide, US Roads and Recreation" are both old and outdated.

But may be the only option for old GPS with little memory.

You need one license for each GPS. In old days, you could use CN in two GPS, if you bough full version DVD of CN. You have never been able to use CN from a Nüvi or any other preloaded GPS to another GPS.

I just got a Nuvi 765T with City Navigator 2010 for North America. Just downloaded the upgrade 2010.3 which is for free for the first 60 days after the Nuvi purchase. It added to my computer so I have it accessible in MapSource for use in my Vista GCx although I haven't loaded City Navigator yet. (I currently have Metroguide, US Roads and Recreation and US Topo as well as some other 24K topo maps loaded in the Vista)

What's your experience using City Navigator over Metroguide? Should I load both? Which to use? (I notice that City Navigator does not have some roads in mountain that Metroguide has but City Navigator has other roads that Metro does not have plus more POI's. Metro navigates now in the Vista. Will City Navigator. Will Metroguide Navigate in the Nuvi? Can I select which maps I want to download into the Nuvi through Mapsource.

As an aside, has anyone loaded Garmin maps like US Topo etc in the Nuvi 7x5 units? Problems?

Is there a release date on the 2010.3? Can't find dates associated with latest update on Garmin site.

I also got a new 765T,and have 'til the end of February to use my one update so I didn't want to do it right before the next 'quarterly' update came out- figure I can survive a month with the 'old' version..

I loaded Mapsource and Topo and Roads and Recreation onto the Nuvi. They have trails, and additional roads and of course topo. All the info comes in handy when you route to a park area and then you can switch the Nuvi to these other maps. from Citi Navigator which loses a lot of smaller roads in parks. I can also now use Metroguide on the Nuvi. ALthough its old, Metro does have roads in the park areas that City Navigator doesn't have and the routing works with Metroguide too. Don't know how much I'll use it in the park since it has limited battery and can be damaged more easily. I'll continue to use my Vista. But seeing topo maps on the large Nuvi screen is impressive. Especially the 24K topos.

I already loaded all these maps on my Vista except City Navigator. Are you sure you can't load it?

"Metroguide, US Roads and Recreation" are both old and outdated.

But may be the only option for old GPS with little memory.

You need one license for each GPS. In old days, you could use CN in two GPS, if you bough full version DVD of CN. You have never been able to use CN from a Nüvi or any other preloaded GPS to another GPS.

The Vista HCx takes a memory card so you're not limited to the number of maps. I have all the northeast states and a good part of the south around 1.3GB of topos, Metros, Roads and Recreation, 24k topos etc, all but the City Navigator which I haven't tried. Like the Nuvi, you check which map series you want to use, and that's what's displayed.

Its more complicated than that.

There is something that is called map priority.

This influence on what you see on the screen and what is used for routing.

I do have both Topo and City Navigator loaded and both selected active. Only Topo is viewed, but all navigation is done correctly due to the underlaying CN,

MG and RR map do not give you routing on the GPS, and only MG gives routing on PC. (Som MG map can do routing on GPS, or be patched to do so)

When you transfer a route made on PC to GPS, only start and stop (and in between if you have selected so) are sent to the GPS. It will den self do the new routing for you, if you have maps that do support routing on GPS.