Cache on a cruise ship?

We're going on a cruise soon and it's too bad it wouldn't work for a cache (with the ship's permission, of course). Lots of people on the ship from many different places and the ship is traveling to many locations.
I suggested it to a friend once, and she took me seriously. I had to nip that idea in the bud very quickly, before she had her caching and cruising friends jump off the stern, following their GPSrs!

:rolleyes:

Now, obviously, if the ship were in port (in one particular port, that is) the idea might work, but as GOF said... good luck with that!

I've tried wearing a geocaching t-shirt. Never caught anyone's attention, but considering no one else logged the port caches it wasn't a surprise.

I like the geocaching t-shirt idea!

Let's say I met someone else on the ship who was also into geocaching and had a TB on them. Could you just exchange TBs or do they have to be logged through a cache?

I've tried wearing a geocaching t-shirt. Never caught anyone's attention, but considering no one else logged the port caches it wasn't a surprise.

Let's say I met someone else on the ship who was also into geocaching and had a TB on them. Could you just exchange TBs or do they have to be logged through a cache?

You can log them as a "Discovered It". :rolleyes:

You can exchange them and use the "grabbed" log type.

Or you can exchange TBs and "grab" them from each other. Doesn't sound nice, but it is a friendly act in this case.

An offset puzzle cache with the first stage at a permanent location on land holding a clue to stage 2 on the ship which holds the bearing and distance to a final? The real trick would then be to find the correct deck level... Not a recommendation.. just a thought.

Depending on the itenerary of the cruise, you might make a real long distance Wherigo.

Now that I think about it I've never really caught anyone's attention with my geocaching t-shirt off either.

I better go test this.

Now that I think about it I've never really caught anyone's attention with my geocaching t-shirt off either.

I better go test this.

I get lots of attention when I wear no shirt at all.

A local cacher here had a T-Shirt TB that he wore to every event for a while (I assumed he washed it periodically).

Then he went with the decal on the back of the car. Then to the windshield sticker idea for a while.

Now he's elevated it once more. His CA license plate is the TB number and, in the space in front of the letters, he had the TB bug decal customized to match the plate's font and size.

The TB can be discovered by anyone recognizing the TB Bug design.

BOT - if permission is granted by the ship's captain, then a TB decal could be placed on one of the ships windows. For discovery only, of course.

I better go test this.

Geo-bra?

:D

I better go test this.

Geo-bra?

:D

:)

OMG!!

YOU PEEKED!!

We're going on a cruise soon and it's too bad it wouldn't work for a cache.

There actually is a cache that you can do from a cruise ship. I know because I did it. It's a virt in the Panama Canal. I wonder if it's still active....

Yep, it's still active! GC6CD6.

I did both of the required activities from the deck of the ship.

Here is a cache on a ferry. You have about four minutes to find the cache, sign the log, and replace the cache before getting to the other side of the river.

There's this pair of ferry caches in the Seattle area:

Ferry Cache I - Seattle to Bremerton

Ferry Cache II - Bremerton to Seattle

On the ride between Seattle and Bremerton (and reverse) at specific coordinates, you need to get information to determine the coordinate of the final cache at the end of the ferry ride.

Although it is very difficult to geocache in the traditional sense on a moving object, I do like the idea of a scavenger type hunt on a ship.

With the permission of the crew, or owners of course, maybe a letter box or, hybrid could be created where you have to follow directions from a start point to locate a hidden container somewhere on the ship?

I would definitely take a cruise that offered such an activity! :blink:

Beyond the "moving target" issue, a cache on a cruise ship would likely NOT meet the current Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines prohibiting Commercial Caches being listed on geocaching.com (permission from the crew or not).

Very interesting observation of the guidelines. Unless, of course, special permission was obtained by the GS mothership.

Ah! Something just "struck" me....

I believe a cache on the deluxe pasenger ship located at N 41 43.7833, W 49 56.8167 would skirt both the moving and commercial guidelines, no?

Beyond the "moving target" issue, a cache on a cruise ship would likely NOT meet the current Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines prohibiting Commercial Caches being listed on geocaching.com (permission from the crew or not).

Very interesting observation of the guidelines. Unless, of course, special permission was obtained by the GS mothership.

Ah! Something just "struck" me....

I believe a cache on the deluxe pasenger ship located at N 41 43.7833, W 49 56.8167 would skirt both the moving and commercial guidelines, no?

Probably so. :blink:

And I know people with access to ROVs that can go to that depth. ;)

With all the themed cruises out there, a special Geocruise would be great. It would take a team to set caches about the ship, and the logs would need to be addressed with bulckhead numbers or other special hints. It would take some work but I bet there would be plenty of people willing to help set it up and pay to cruise. Just a thought....

With all the themed cruises out there, a special Geocruise would be great. It would take a team to set caches about the ship, and the logs would need to be addressed with bulckhead numbers or other special hints. It would take some work but I bet there would be plenty of people willing to help set it up and pay to cruise. Just a thought....

Wouldn't be a geocache. Geocaches use GPS coordinates. You could still do a scavenger hunt, or hide letterbox caches that use hints to find, but they would not be listed on this site.

I did this but with my personal TB, sewed it onto my backpack. One or two people recognized it on my campus cause they'd gone out caching once or twice, but it's a rather dorky university so that's not so unheard of I guess (and I still get more "what is that supposed to be?" comments!).

Here is a cache on a ferry. You have about four minutes to find the cache, sign the log, and replace the cache before getting to the other side of the river.

There's this pair of ferry caches in the Seattle area:

Ferry Cache I - Seattle to Bremerton

Ferry Cache II - Bremerton to Seattle

On the ride between Seattle and Bremerton (and reverse) at specific coordinates, you need to get information to determine the coordinate of the final cache at the end of the ferry ride.

This is a nice "moving" cache on a ferry, illustrating the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (you can measure the cache's position, or its velocity, but not both!): http://coord.info/GCKEBC .

There are some geocaching cruises out there and there is no way to have logable caches on the cruise but they can do fun letterboxing on the cruise that are not logable. I am involved in a geocaching cruise to Bermuda ... so if anyone is interested or want more information just contact me and I can send you out more information

Tried to get a cache placed on a cruise ship that goes between Ensenada and Long Beach. Admin would not approve it in 2008. And it was difficult to find a suitable place too. Maintaining it would have been difficult. With these new challenge cache types, the community can decide whether or not that such a themed moving cache is acceptable? Someone should come up with a creative CRUISE challenge and go for it. Seems like the only way, given the current guidelines.