Utterly evil hides

I think this one could easily be classed as "Evil" GC1764C

It's a good think that one isn't on Long Island!

But seriously, what's the point of a cache like that? Three years with no finds?

Creating a cache that can only be found with great difficulty takes skill and cleverness. Creating a cache that is impossible to find is easy. So why bother?

My favorite evil hide around here (now archived) was called "Take a Nap". The Co had placed this wicked little micro at his place of work. A rather small place and all of the employees knew about it as did many of their significant others. NONE of them would EVER offer a clue as to its whereabouts. The CO would give hints by email after a DNF was logged. What made it so tough?

Well, besides being completely visible to everyone in the building, it was also on a busy streetcorner. So much for going unnoticed. To add to the difficulty there were about a bajillion possible hiding places even if you DIDN'T try to thinklike an evil genius.

The cache itself? It was a micro micro - in a door peephole.

There's an evil hide near where I work and I've visited 3 times with no luck. Others have found it, some within minutes, while some gave up and logged a string of DNFs only for yet another cacher to find it.

You know that the cover over the bolts on the lamp post lifts up. Great place for a film canister. :)

whoever thought of this was a genuis. the rest are copycats. I have to admit. when i found my first one i was excited. now I never waste my time.

I remember a fake Ivy leaf in a sea of Ivy. I've placed a Bott's dot on an abandoned road, complete with a double yellow line.

Now Thats Evil!

Now don't be getting any ideas. If you're considering hiding a fake ivy leaf at the nearby Ivy league university which has lots of ivy covering it's buildings consider the fact that in the fall those shiny green ivy leaves turn bright red and by this time of year almost all of them have fallen to the ground.

There's an evil hide near where I work and I've visited 3 times with no luck. Others have found it, some within minutes, while some gave up and logged a string of DNFs only for yet another cacher to find it.

You know that the cover over the bolts on the lamp post lifts up. Great place for a film canister. :)

Actually, mild evilness dictates you place a magnetic clinger on the inside of the skirt. Seen a couple of those.

That's not so evil if the coordinates are decent.

There's a cache here that's on an old steam train engine near one of the busiest intersections in town. The train is entirely painted black (in fact, it was repainted a few days after the cache was placed). It was hidden by someone with no previous hides and only 1 find three years ago. At least when I found it (after about 3.5 hours of searching over four visits) it was hidden such that it could only be found by feel. The container is a black nano.

Found a similar one in NY (near Erie PA) that stymied me for a while. Took several visits. Had to find by feel, but I actually touched it several times during the search and didn't realize it. It was one of those old AOL tins painted black and attached with magnets.

Like many others, I don't rate a cache as evil based simply on how hard it is to find. The basic heavily camouflaged bison hanging in a large bush, with a hint of "bush" is nasty, and I don't really enjoy this type much at all. That said, there are some very well executed caches that may (or may not) include needle-in-a-haystack searches, but because of unique techniques used, they are quality hides well deserving of the title of EVIL and loads of fun to search/find.

A "hoard of blinky nanos" probably falls into the nasty category.

Then there are the top quality PURE EVIL caches... for example, Halloween: Trick or Treat? (GC16K3A). Actually, the CO of this cache has more than a couple of top quality caches that qualify as EVIL.

A decoy container very near the actual cache can be interesting. Many will give up searching the location after reading the "sorry, this is not the cache" note. The successful ones will find the real container hidden under the decoy.

OK. I once found a decoy covered with braches. On closer inspection, one of the branches didn't look just right. I managed to pull a wooden "plug" out of the end of the branch, and found a bison tube inside! Now, THAT was evil!

A decoy container very near the actual cache can be interesting. Many will give up searching the location after reading the "sorry, this is not the cache" note. The successful ones will find the real container hidden under the decoy.

OK. I once found a decoy covered with braches. On closer inspection, one of the branches didn't look just right. I managed to pull a wooden "plug" out of the end of the branch, and found a bison tube inside! Now, THAT was evil!

In a similar thread from the past I posted an idea for an evil cache. Get an ammo can and fill it with spray foam or something to fill up the space. Tether it to a tree with a large chain and a combination lock. It would have to be a combination lock where the back is easily removed. Put a log sheet inside the combination lock.

Ohhh that's the idea I have been working on...

I was thinking of a truly evil plan - Somehow dangle a big obvious container like a rubbermaid in the air- out of reach. and have a nano somewhere close to it at ground level in a dead tree or something... Oh to watch people ponder how to get the big empty container down lol... can you say motion detector webcam? :):D

But I'm not 'truly evil' so this may just be a sick twisted pipe dream lol...

I found one that was a decoy metal pipe (made of plastic) that was stuck by magnets onto some kind of metal pipe/electrical thing in a park. I just thought "why would there be TWO of THOSE things?" Grabbed the top one and it slid off, even contained a notepad log and trackable in it. I was able to find it in a few minutes after reading logs that said people had looked several times. On further inspection of it, the pipe piece was stamped with "made in Canada", which seemed odd, none of the rest of this thing was made in Canada. I was actually disappointed I found it so quickly! What was funny was it was in a full view in a park. Luckily there was no one there that day, I would've looked idiotic playing around with this electrical thing.

There is one near me, that I think is either in a large stone fountain (which I would have to climb into), or in the removable tray section of a bird cage. (with a parrot in it). I have eliminated all other possiblities, but there are always shopkeepers and shoppers around. I will post results if I find it this weekend... I am determined to try those last two spots... :angry: