Utterly evil hides

There's an evil hide near where I work and I've visited 3 times with no luck. Others have found it, some within minutes, while some gave up and logged a string of DNFs only for yet another cacher to find it.

There are some downright evil hides out there, usually as the resulf of some great cachecraft.

Others are, well, somewhere between evil and just mean (like my ammo can hidden at a bus stop.)

I'm plotting something utterly and thoroughly dispicable, which will involve the deployment of a hoard of blinky nanos (what else do you do with 144 of these things?)

At the risk of giving yours, or someone else's away, what's your experience with a most evil cache.

There's an evil hide near where I work and I've visited 3 times with no luck. Others have found it, some within minutes, while some gave up and logged a string of DNFs only for yet another cacher to find it.

You know that the cover over the bolts on the lamp post lifts up. Great place for a film canister. :rolleyes:

Edited by Moose Mob

You know that the cover over the bolts on the lamp post lifts up. Great place for a film canister. :rolleyes:

Actually, mild evilness dictates you place a magnetic clinger on the inside of the skirt. Seen a couple of those.

Actually, mild evilness dictates you place a magnetic clinger on the inside of the skirt. Seen a couple of those.

That's not so evil if the coordinates are decent.

There's a cache here that's on an old steam train engine near one of the busiest intersections in town. The train is entirely painted black (in fact, it was repainted a few days after the cache was placed). It was hidden by someone with no previous hides and only 1 find three years ago. At least when I found it (after about 3.5 hours of searching over four visits) it was hidden such that it could only be found by feel. The container is a black nano.

50Sumtin did one of those in a park near where I live. I must have scanned that thing and the wooden fence around it for an hour before giving up on the first try. Finally did find it on a second visit, within minutes, but dang if that wasn't a cagey place to put it - zero chance of it being muggled.

There's a cache here that's on an old steam train engine near one of the busiest intersections in town. The train is entirely painted black (in fact, it was repainted a few days after the cache was placed). It was hidden by someone with no previous hides and only 1 find three years ago. At least when I found it (after about 3.5 hours of searching over four visits) it was hidden such that it could only be found by feel. The container is a black nano.

Needle in a haystack in full view of John Q. Public. Not my idea of fun.

walnut tripper had a series years ago- all parts were insane. caves, boulder fields, snakes, bears, good grief it was some wicked fun here in pa. The last part was back in the woods. you had to have gotten your co-ords at each of the other parts. No luck at all at the final. We figured we had messed up a number. All of a sudden my husband said oh no- look up. Sure enough. She had hung it up a tree. :rolleyes:

Needle in a haystack in full view of John Q. Public. Not my idea of fun.

Actually, there are several clues on the cache page (though there wasn't when I found it) that narrows the search area down considerably and muggles aren't really a factor as anyone driving by will just see someone checking out an interesting old steam train engine. Many of the logs mention spending 1/2 an hour or more searches. Spending that much time actively searching for a cache without muggle intervention is a good case for a cache that be in full view of John Q. Public, but can still be sought without compromising it's location.

Sometimes it's a lot easier to be inconspicuous when there are hundreds of people around than when there is only one other person.

It currently has 48 finds and 43 posted DNFs. Although meny of them have mentioned searching several times nobody seems to be complaining about the hide. Most seem to enjoy the challenge.

In my (albeit warped) mind, there is a big difference between evil and nasty. Evil is fun! Needle in a haystack is just nasty. No fun there.

Evil is "I wonder what other caches this CO can torment me with?" Nasty is "Let's put this CO on Ignore!"

It took five tries to find the bison tube hanging in plain view in the yew bush. Right at eye level!

The bolt cache in the pedestrian bridge across the Delaware River was evil.

I think the best evil cache was the bison tube disguised as a bolt in the little concrete barrier in the parking lot. Duh!

The ammo can in the crevice covered with a rock was evil. Almost impossible to find! Evil!

The keyholder on the tank was just annoying. No redeeming value there.

Others are, well, somewhere between evil and just mean (like my ammo can hidden at a bus stop.)

Wait...Wait.... Hold the phone, you were able to hide a ammo can in a bus stop?

Snicker :rolleyes:

That's easy, but try hiding a full sized one on a locomotive and making that hard to find. There is at least one of them out there. :D

I found an ammocan hidden under a caboose once. I generally detest RR caches, but that one was sweeeet!

I have one cache out there that's not real evil but seems to give everybody a hard time.It started out as a 1/1.5 but have since moved it to a 2 diff.As most people that find it have to use a PAF.All I did was take a baseball cut the leather back drilled a hole in it and placed a bison tube in it then the leather flap goes back in place just right. I then placed this at the local college baseball field in a small group of trees like only 4 with some weeds and grass around them right behind home plate so you might think it's just a foul ball.it's not covered up it's just sitting right by a tree in the grass saying here I am find me.GZ1Z9P0 is the number if you would like to read some of the logs I just laugh each time I get one.

I have one cache out there that's not real evil but seems to give everybody a hard time.It started out as a 1/1.5 but have since moved it to a 2 diff.As most people that find it have to use a PAF.All I did was take a baseball cut the leather back drilled a hole in it and placed a bison tube in it then the leather flap goes back in place just right. I then placed this at the local college baseball field in a small group of trees like only 4 with some weeds and grass around them right behind home plate so you might think it's just a foul ball.it's not covered up it's just sitting right by a tree in the grass saying here I am find me.GZ1Z9P0 is the number if you would like to read some of the logs I just laugh each time I get one.
Well, I think it just got a whole lot easier! :rolleyes:
Well, I think it just got a whole lot easier! :rolleyes:

LOL maybe they wont have to use a PAF now on a 1/1.5

One cache close to home called "Taylor Beach" is evil, clever, sneaky, and I wish I had thought of it. Took us a couple of DNFs, then one Friday night I dreamt we found it. It wasn't in a fake stone on the stony beach as in my dream - but we did find the little beggar the next day. One of the hiders is a teen, and she comes up with the craftiest ideas...we saved another of hers for Popoki Nui's 600th find. Needless to say her caching Mom and caching grandparents are proud of her! Watch out for "The L'il Pirate" if you are ever up this way!

We have several nasties out there, GC1WVCW ]a 1.5/5, GC20TDY This one is at my friends business, he has logged 27 different visitors to the cache, but no DNF's logs to go with them. There is no other reason to be at GZ unless you are searching, GC1EQ42

The firt is in plain sight, you just need to be observent, the second is an other that is wicked, and the third is our first 1/5, and it has more DNF's that are not logged if you read the logs, "Out 3rd try" but no DNF's to go with it. I like the toughies, NOT the nano's

I have a lamp post hide tha tis a 5 gallon bucket, right beside a lamp post. GC1TY5P

My favorite from my own collection is GC1PFJ0

After the first couple of finds, there was a lot of PAF activity, but those that don't employ those methods began to show up and a lot of head scratching was observed.

If you stand in just the right place and look in the right direction (no gymnastics or contortionist moves required at all), the container (obviously artificial in nature) is in plain sight. Of course, nobody ever seems to look there...

Looking through some of the caches I've found that are now archived...

Adding a piece to a structure is a very effective camouflage technique. In a wooden gazebo, you could add an extra piece of wood that matches the rest of the construction. On a metal structure, you could add another nut/bolt that is painted the same color as the rest. If you find a structure with a missing piece, then you can replace it with a similar bit that also contains your cache, and then it's even harder to spot the bit that is out of place. (Bison tubes camouflaged with a bit of rebar and hidden in a concrete parking stop fall into this category.)

Fishing line is almost invisible. I've found a few that were suspended by fishing line, and the only way to find them was to notice the fishing line and pull up the cache from its hiding place.

Or find a location that matches a typical hide style, but figure out some other way to hide a cache there. Until they've determined that you didn't hide anything in the newspaper box, under the bench, or under the lamppost skirt, they won't even look for the obviously fake rock you hid 5' away in plain sight.

A decoy container very near the actual cache can be interesting. Many will give up searching the location after reading the "sorry, this is not the cache" note. The successful ones will find the real container hidden under the decoy.

I enjoyed an "elevated" cache that was about 20' high. The CO left it up to each seeker to figure out how to retrieve and replace the cache, and to obtain and transport the necessary equipment.

I also enjoy blinkers hidden in plain sight on public sculptures.

not all of them do[well at least not without tools]

so i just grab a 20 foot long stick and push a nano up 20 feet on the pole. hahaha. no im not that mean :D

magnets don't stick to the ones here. they're painted aluminum.

a magnetic field detector would ferret it out pretty fast.

Wait...Wait.... Hold the phone, you were able to hide a ammo can in a bus stop?

Snicker :rolleyes:

That's easy, but try hiding a full sized one on a locomotive and making that hard to find. There is at least one of them out there. :D

There is a cache hidden in an old black locomotive on the South Dakota state fair grounds. Very well hidden.

Sometimes it's a lot easier to be inconspicuous when there are hundreds of people around than when there is only one other person.

I found another way to be inconspicuous while searching for teeny caches hidden alongside busy roads - I put on an orange reflective safety vest and grab a clipboard (I keep them in my trunk). When a car comes by, I can pretend to be intently studying nearby trees or powerlines. ;)

I get a lot of use out of that costume these days. :blink:

I found another way to be inconspicuous while searching for teeny caches hidden alongside busy roads - I put on an orange reflective safety vest and grab a clipboard (I keep them in my trunk). When a car comes by, I can pretend to be intently studying nearby trees or powerlines. ;)

I get a lot of use out of that costume these days. :blink:

One of our local cachers, 50sumtin, was an Environmental Health & Safety Manager. He had a yellow hard hat and vest in his car and employed them on occasion. I think the guise would work, until someone actually asked you what you were doing, when you'd have to come clean or make up something. Working in such a field as 50sumtin did I bet he could cook up a story with ease, where I'd opt for coming clean - the last thing I want to do is fabricate a tale and find I'm talking to someone who sees right through it due to occupation or experience, which makes me appear deceitful.

...I'd opt for coming clean - the last thing I want to do is fabricate a tale and find I'm talking to someone who sees right through it due to occupation or experience, which makes me appear deceitful.

"Just checking the status of the local geocaches, officer. They seem to be OK."

I have to say that I'd look terribly conspicuous with a safety vest. It doesn't go with a skirted business suit and heels, does it? I guess I rely on the fact that NYC is full of strange people, and I'm no stranger than most.

I have to say that I'd look terribly conspicuous with a safety vest. It doesn't go with a skirted business suit and heels, does it? I guess I rely on the fact that NYC is full of strange people, and I'm no stranger than most.

I've worn a safety vest and hard hat with a business suit. On a construction site, people will assume you are an architect. On the side of a roadway, you're an engineer.

I have a couple here that have been given people all kinds of heck, including me.

GC1NKNX Awww Crappie seems to be a hard one in the area. only been there 10 months It has about 14 finds and 16 dnfs. The owner has to keep going out there to assure people it is still there.

GCX9XB Catch You on the Flip Side is one that if you get it, you get, if you don't, you don't. This is the one I discovered people do not always log their DNFs. The number of DNFs is listed as low, but if you read all the logs, many have been back many a time before finding.

I am on my 4-5 trip for both.

Jake92 qualifies here. Just check out "Worthless Money" and some of his others. The DNF's go on and on. That one I have been to at least 3 times and I must admin I have not been very frienly to the environment on the third attempt. I don't think it will be any easier when the snow thaws next spring. Which is how long I will have to wait for my next attempt.

My son and I have done that with a golf ball. We took a dremel and drilled out a hole, screwed a tiny screw into the hole and slipped in a nano painted white so the magnet would stick to the screw. The top of the nano completed the curve of the ball. Then we dropped it on the ground across the street from a gold course like it was a lost stray ball. GC1KG1A it's part of the Magnetic Anomaly Series - Magnetic Anomaly: High Bridge, NJ by MeisterMind ()

I have to agree about the difference between evil and nasty. Its not hard to place a nano in a place where luck is the only determinative factor. I can always make a nasty hide -- no great credit, no great praise, and no great imagination is needed for these. In fact, I can make a nasty hide with poor coordinates and put it in a juniper bush or poison oak -- but these go to my ignore list when I come across them. Life is too short.

Its harder to make a cache that is evil because it has an incredible camo job that is utterly creative. A local cacher, geovirus, is particularly adept at these. Some of his are remarkable, but I can't say more about any of his particular caches without saying too much.

Edited by mulvaney

Evil, huh? The poster for a lost pet on the noticeboard with the log on the reverse. The lock and lock covered in silicone then rolled in pea gravel...then placed on pea gravel. The bottle cap with a nano attached in a whole bunch of rocks...

A dead tree with bark held on by magnets covering the tubular cache was the one that took 3 visits. Isn't the sense of achievement great when you finally nail those evil suckers though?

....At the risk of giving yours, or someone else's away, what's your experience with a most evil cache.

The cache died so no harm giving it away.

I had some traffic tape. The yellow reflective stuff they use when working on roads. I put that on the pavement in a parking lot where the paint crew missed part of a stripe near a lamp post. On the backside of the tape was some National Geographic adventure paper. That was the log.

That wasn't nearly as evil as I had hoped. It only lasted a few finds before the sticky wore off and it blew away. It only lasted 1 finde before I suspect the Phone a Friend Network made it a 1 for difficulty.

Another Evil hide. We have a location with ventricular basalt exposed in a short cliff. My applogies if I spelled that wrong. It means "lots of little holes". I found a micro, painted it black. Found a handy place to climb halfway up the short cliff and stuck it in a hole. You could see it from ground level, but it didn't stand out. That one proved to be an evil hide. The area is now marked No Tresspassing so that one is gone.

Another evil hide is near another rock face. A small cache (tried bigger that didn't last). The rock face has all kinds of nooks and crannies. The thing is the entire time you are looking at the obvious at your feet is a small outcropping of that rock face separated from the rest. In that is a small opening and just out of sight in that spot is the cache. People trip over the caches hiding spot while getting frustrated at the "needle in the haystack' approach. But I don't like those. This is more of a "where would I put it if I wanted to be able to find this in the dark, easily to maitain this thing but not have it muggled"

I would guess that, considering some find it quickly and some post a DNF, that it is one of two situations:

1) It's a truly evil hide and some people are getting help from previous finders, or

2) It's a very clever hide such that if you are in the right frame of mind you notice it quickly, but if you are not thinking outside the box then you will never find it.

In my opinion, type 2) are the best caches - very rewarding when you do eventually find them.