Need a backpack that can hold a trekking pole/walking stick

journey4truth

I'm trying to find a decent backpack for geocaching that includes attachment points for holding a trekking pole/walking stick. Something like this here: http://www.gregorygoesthere.com/tag/how-to...trekking-poles/

Since I alternate between wandering around in the woods and wandering around in Manhattan, it'd be great if I could find such a backpack suitable for both purposes. :rolleyes: What do you all suggest?

I've been using the older model (II) of this one for several years: http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?...ubCategory2Id=0

I think it works great.

I have the Approach II myself. Great pack for the woods. Best day pack I've ever owned. I've carried chainsaws up mountains in its ski sleeve, carted two ammo boxes at a time into the woods and spent hundreds of trail miles with it on my back and it is still ticking. It might be a bit big for the city, though I did use it to cart my laptop around when I was on a consulting job in VA. The V3.0 is a tad smaller, so it could be an option.

Also check LL Bean. I was just looking at the Ridge Runner pack on their website and it is not too expensive and seems to have the features you are looking for. I've had some Bean packs and they are very well made. Heck I have a Bean pack that is about 20 years old and that was 20 years of frequent use and abuse. I had the zipper replaced 3 years ago for 10 bucks and it's still going strong.

Edited by briansnat

Thanks for the suggestions all. I checked out Dick's Sporting Goods today and it seems to be the Walmart of outdoorsy stuff: huge and loaded with crap. :rolleyes: Not a single backpack I found had a mount for a walking stick either.

I checked Mountainsmith and they seem to have the perfect pack called the Hiker:

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?...ubCategory2Id=0

It's designed for both work/school and the trail, and includes the trekking mounts I need. I wish they had one in all black though. :D I'll see if a local store here has it so I can try it on for size.

I don't really worry about it. It isn't that hard to construct something that will hold your poles and then attach that to your pack of choice... either permanently or temporarily. Most packs have attachment points already for accessory pockets and the like. Or you can have someone stitch something on.

My normal practice is some sort of strap about 3 to 4 feet long (depending on your size of course).

As long as it has a loop at one end to attach a small carabiner or other snap link and a loop at the other end that can make a lark's head to slip over the basket end. The whole thing clips to the wrist strap at the one end and the lark's head slips over the basket and holds the shaft between the basket and adjuster when collapsed. Whole thing gets slung overshoulder like a bow or rifle. Works for one or two poles, and you don't need to have your pack with you at all if you choose. Right now I'm using about 9 to 10 feet of 6mm climbing accessory cord, with two figure 8 loops to make one end, they clip the carabiner to each other and the wrist strap in use. The other end is for the baskets. When NOT in use for carrying, the carabiner joins the rope loop into a sling that can be worn overshoulder or around the neck INSIDE my outer clothing ( I don't relish hanging myself accidentally). I also keep various items attached to the clip, (whistle etc.) slung or not. This could be made from small web or other cordage. I do like the idea of multi useage components and the web/cord can be available for other things IF needed.

Just a thought.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

I don't really worry about it. It isn't that hard to construct something that will hold your poles and then attach that to your pack of choice... either permanently or temporarily. Most packs have attachment points already for accessory pockets and the like. Or you can have someone stitch something on.

My normal practice is some sort of strap about 3 to 4 feet long (depending on your size of course).

As long as it has a loop at one end to attach a small carabiner...

I had to look up the word carabiner, which alone should tell you why your suggestions may not be a good fit for me. :blink:

Yeah I know, I'm a real city boy. I always get nervous when I'm more than a 100 yards away from a nearby coffee shop. ;)

I had to look up the word carabiner, which alone should tell you why your suggestions may not be a good fit for me. :blink:

Yeah I know, I'm a real city boy. I always get nervous when I'm more than a 100 yards away from a nearby coffee shop. ;)

Hi there... At least you are open to learn... and ask questions. both important... I live out here on the edge of things in BC, BUT I was born and raised in Toronto, ON... that's a real wilderness experience for sure.

I'll see if I can get a pic of my sling as it exists for you... but it was only an option. There are always ways to deal with situations... the old 'more ways to skin a cat' adage. My point is that you can do your research, find what appeals to you and... You will still find ways to adapt it (actually fine tune) it to you. I too like those various Mountainsmith packs... but I tend to either restore other peoples cast offs or design and build my own items. I did that for a living long ago, and may again someday soon, since my retirement has been interupted by the economic downturn... I used to do warranty stuff for a Canadian distributor/whatever who shall remain nameless for now... Got to see lots of items that failed for various reasons... and worked out repairs and design fixes for them. Just not active in that other than for myself anymore... But I do offer opinons on customizing... Like I said you can always add, move etc to something you get... but my advice is THINK about it first... start with temporary changes until you get what you like, then make it more permanent... lately I'm about making everything non-permanent... take a look at MOLLE systems..

Big on adaptability.

Doug

Thanks for the suggestions all. I checked out Dick's Sporting Goods today and it seems to be the Walmart of outdoorsy stuff: huge and loaded with crap. :blink: Not a single backpack I found had a mount for a walking stick either.

I checked Mountainsmith and they seem to have the perfect pack called the Hiker:

http://www.mountainsmith.com/products.asp?...ubCategory2Id=0

It's designed for both work/school and the trail, and includes the trekking mounts I need. I wish they had one in all black though. ;) I'll see if a local store here has it so I can try it on for size.

Mountainsmith packs are very good.

Back again..

Should point out that THIS carabiner is NOT a climbing quality one... This is a 3" swag type utility device... of unknown strength... it is a better example than most I've seen, which is why I use it.

Don't expect much other than to attach things with it. Despite the GC.com markings... It was my first swag item I ever traded for... yep carabiner for carabiner... this one has a cacher name on the other side... hidden for their anonymity.. actually so they don't claim it back!

This is a useful way to sling hiking poles when not in use, and you don't have a pack or room on your pack or simply want a brief hands free moment...

How it attaches (really hard that is)

lanydhe.jpg

You can use a larks head or clove hitch at the baskets one or two poles.

lanydbe.jpg

This is the unslung parts photo... use any loop knots, figure 8, overhand etc. (these are bowlines with a yosemite backup). In necklace mode I put a loop at the midpoint to make it a bit safer when connected there.

lanydpts.jpg

Like I said, simple.

Doug

Man! Is that ever an impressive pack. Do they have smaller versions?

Thanks.

Probably, although I'll let the other chap answer... it is MOLLE compatable, which means you can

modify it on the fly what ever way you want to except for the root components... add subtract, move.

Doug

Thanks for the illustrations, I found it very helpful. :blink:

Thanks.

Funny thing about the pack on that site, it's where I get my ammo too. I never thought to check it for backpacks, but it does look like overkill for my needs, lol.

There's an excellent outdoors store a few miles from here that has the mountainsmith packs I want, so I'll check it out to see how they look and fit. ;)

Thanks for the illustrations, I found it very helpful. :blink:

Thanks.

Funny thing about the pack on that site, it's where I get my ammo too. I never thought to check it for backpacks, but it does look like overkill for my needs, lol.

There's an excellent outdoors store a few miles from here that has the mountainsmith packs I want, so I'll check it out to see how they look and fit. ;)

Campmor in Paramus NJ. Worth the drive.