outside the cache!

oakenwood

Mattresses, a couch, a very old car (miles from the nearest road), a computer monitor, and a marching band uniform (I think).

You?

Yes, me. I might very well be one of those "strange things lurking in the woods". You?

The old cars in the woods, miles from any road, used to puzzle me, until I learned how quickly woods can grow where there was once no woods, and how quickly old farm and logging roads can disappear when they go unused.

Edited by knowschad

Non-geocaching related. But a funny story nonetheless. I live far in the country, strongly religious community, and in summers use my mountain-bike to traverse the rock and rubble roads to nearby (5-15 miles away) lakes for fishing. I find some fun stuff once in a great while on my travels (new still-packaged tarps that fell out of pickup trucks, a 2 oz. sterling-silver neck-chain once, etc.). But one find takes the cake. There was a brown paper sack a short distance from the dirt road, passed by it a couple days thinking nothing of it. Then noticed something out of the corner of it one day. I went to go check. I found one of those adult bedroom games in the bag. Complete with blindfolds, feathers, massage oils, soft restraints, candles, playing cards for suggested activities, etc., the works, the "DELUXE" version. There was still a receipt in the bag too. The receipt showed that someone had bought it from a store in a town about 50 miles away. The only thing missing from the game was the vibrator. LOL I can only imagine that poor country gal (or farmer?) who must have been so ashamed or embarrassed to have to travel that far, to feign buying the whole game just for the vibrator and then threw the rest of it out of their car window. :rolleyes:

(Yes, I kept the rest! LOL Never know when it might come in handy. Anyone want to go "geocaching" with me? :D )

Mattresses, a couch, a very old car (miles from the nearest road), a computer monitor, and a marching band uniform (I think).

You?

Old cars and trucks are very common at the abandoned wildcat coal mines near here. The drive wheels were replaced with pulleys whicih were fitted with cables to pull the coal cars up out of the mines. One local cachers has placed caches at quite a few of them which he has found over the years.

You?

Old cars and trucks are very common at the abandoned wildcat coal mines near here. The drive wheels were replaced with pulleys whicih were fitted with cables to pull the coal cars up out of the mines. One local cachers has placed caches at quite a few of them which he has found over the years.

Old ski lifts were sometimes done in that same way. A cacher near me put out a series of caches in a park that was a skihill years ago, and yes... some of the pully systems and even the chassis and motor for the system are still there.

Non-geocaching related. But a funny story nonetheless. I live far in the country, strongly religious community, and in summers use my mountain-bike to traverse the rock and rubble roads to nearby (5-15 miles away) lakes for fishing. I find some fun stuff once in a great while on my travels (new still-packaged tarps that fell out of pickup trucks, a 2 oz. sterling-silver neck-chain once, etc.). But one find takes the cake. There was a brown paper sack a short distance from the dirt road, passed by it a couple days thinking nothing of it. Then noticed something out of the corner of it one day. I went to go check. I found one of those adult bedroom games in the bag. Complete with blindfolds, feathers, massage oils, soft restraints, candles, playing cards for suggested activities, etc., the works, the "DELUXE" version. There was still a receipt in the bag too. The receipt showed that someone had bought it from a store in a town about 50 miles away. The only thing missing from the game was the vibrator. LOL I can only imagine that poor country gal (or farmer?) who must have been so ashamed or embarrassed to have to travel that far, to feign buying the whole game just for the vibrator and then threw the rest of it out of their car window. :rolleyes:

(Yes, I kept the rest! LOL Never know when it might come in handy. Anyone want to go "geocaching" with me? :D )

So THAT's what happened to my stuff. And I thought someone stole it out of the back of the pickemup truck.

Using google maps satalitte pictures, I found a nice little dirt track road that got me close to the cache I was searching for. Turns out the dirt track road led to a illigal garbage dump. There were couches, appliances, tires etc. Mybe I should setup a CITO event there. I think the area will be developed soon, so the developer will likely take care of it.

Three coconuts and a dead chicken.

This wasn't in FL by any chance, was it? ('nuther funny story. Camped in a remote Everglades campground one night. Outside about 150 ft. away some people were holding a Voodoo ceremony. Doesn't phase me a bit. Next morning I spotted the ring of 20+ candles, broken coconuts, coins (not enough for even a cup of coffee), a circle of string, circle of salt. etc. (no dead chickens) I wanted them candles! (chickens for lunch too, but no luck) I went back to my camper to get something to carry all the candles in. In the meantime a Park Circus "oaf-ishul" showed up and found the site. He got all freaked out. Tried to put out the still-burning candles with his foot, carefully, so as not to get hexed or something. He got on his radio. Then left. I went there and thought I'd better get them dadgum candles before Park Circus does something with them. While at it I disappeared all the rest of the stuff to clean up the site. (I don't like litterers, religious or not.) Later he came back with an entourage of superiors. I watched from a distance. There was much shouting about the false report. The poor Park Circus guy was all freaked out because he thought he was witnessing real Voodoo, it all just vanished!! LOL I ran into him about 3 months later. I heard he almost lost his job. What a laugh that was! I love when psychotics are that wrapped up in their religious beliefs and it all falls apart in front of them. :P

p.s. Later, in the same area, I found my most favorite machete, far off the beaten paths. It only needed a little sanding for rust in spots. Still have it. Never found any human remains near it though. :lol:

Edited by Keo1

This wasn't in FL by any chance, was it?

It would be funnier if that was found in a *mart parking lot in Iowa.

The poor Park Circus guy was all freaked out because he thought he was witnessing real Voodoo, it all just vanished!! LOL I ran into him about 3 months later. I heard he almost lost his job. What a laugh that was!

Unemployment, on the other hand, is not funny.

Nothing too spectacular for me, but a while back while taking a round about route to the final stage of a multi, my son and I went down a ravine in a local metropark adjacent to a neighborhood and came across a basketball, a soccer ball, a bowling ball and an Incredible Hulk doll.

This wasn't in FL by any chance, was it? ('nuther funny story. Camped in a remote Everglades campground one night. Outside about 150 ft. away some people were holding a Voodoo ceremony. Doesn't phase me a bit. Next morning I spotted the ring of 20+ candles, broken coconuts, coins (not enough for even a cup of coffee), a circle of string, circle of salt. etc. (no dead chickens) I wanted them candles! (chickens for lunch too, but no luck) I went back to my camper to get something to carry all the candles in. In the meantime a Park Circus "oaf-ishul" showed up and found the site. He got all freaked out. Tried to put out the still-burning candles with his foot, carefully, so as not to get hexed or something. He got on his radio. Then left. I went there and thought I'd better get them dadgum candles before Park Circus does something with them. While at it I disappeared all the rest of the stuff to clean up the site. (I don't like litterers, religious or not.) Later he came back with an entourage of superiors. I watched from a distance. There was much shouting about the false report. The poor Park Circus guy was all freaked out because he thought he was witnessing real Voodoo, it all just vanished!! LOL I ran into him about 3 months later. I heard he almost lost his job. What a laugh that was! I love when psychotics are that wrapped up in their religious beliefs and it all falls apart in front of them. :P

p.s. Later, in the same area, I found my most favorite machete, far off the beaten paths. It only needed a little sanding for rust in spots. Still have it. Never found any human remains near it though. :lol:

I'm doubled over with laughter.

A "Park Circus 'oaf-ishul' " was doing his job as required an you find something that it was part of his job to report. You "interfere" with the subject and he gets in trouble and almost looses his job. I'm glad to see he was doing his job. Most Gub'ment employees do this. Maybe something was put in his personel file about false reporting that will follow him around as being a problem. Maybe it will some time in the future be enough to terminate him. Maybe something like this could happen to you. How would you feel if it did.

Actions have consequences. Sometimes our actions have serious adverse consequences on others.

I'm just rolling over with laughter. I hope that nothing as funny as this ever happens to me.

Because my finding skills are so bad I tend to spend more time searching than most people and I've found countless strange things near caches such as : a brand new nail gun in a box, a buried tribute to a teenage love, a rubber adult toy and a case of beer. (All in different locations).

One day when I was out caching I found torn up $1 and $20 bills and lots of costume jewelry. I turned it into a cache:- Tam Treasure Mystery (GC1Q6HJ):

434b5d41-5fd6-43d0-b6ef-d3f702a16357.jpg

A "Park Circus 'oaf-ishul' " was doing his job as required an you find something that it was part of his job to report. You "interfere" with the subject and he gets in trouble and almost looses his job. I'm glad to see he was doing his job. Most Gub'ment employees do this. Maybe something was put in his personel file about false reporting that will follow him around as being a problem. Maybe it will some time in the future be enough to terminate him. Maybe something like this could happen to you. How would you feel if it did.

If my religious beliefs made me so paranoid and psychotic as this "gub'ment" employee as to waste perfectly good tax-payer dollars over something so ridiculously stupid as someone's obvious and harmless spiritual ritual the night before, enough so as to report it and take 3 other tax-payer paid employees away from more important jobs instead of just cleaning it up like he should have done ... you can be d@mn sure I'd want that following me around in my records so I wouldn't be so amazingly stupid and paranoid and waste everyone's time and money like that ever again.

He got EXACTLY what he deserved. Every insecure ego-tripping brown-shirt that runs around using their religious beliefs to waste all our time and money should get exactly the same if not more. Fired without question.

Edited by Keo1

If my religious beliefs made me so paranoid and psychotic as this "gub'ment" employee as to waste perfectly good tax-payer dollars over something so ridiculously stupid as someone's obvious and harmless spiritual ritual the night before, enough so as to report it and take 3 other tax-payer paid employees away from more important jobs instead of just cleaning it up like he should have done ... you can be d@mn sure I'd want that following me around in my records so I wouldn't be so amazingly stupid and paranoid and waste everyone's time and money like that ever again.

He got EXACTLY what he deserved. Every insecure ego-tripping brown-shirt that runs around using their religious beliefs to waste all our time and money should get exactly the same if not more. Fired without question.

Are you always so pleasant?

That's kind of lame.

Burning candles in a park in FLA is sort of frowned on. Forest fires you know. The hated "clown" put out the still burning candles, carefully. Doing his job? His religious convictions were supposed by the origional poster.

Most poeple I know, don't go near things they instnctly fear (snakes, spiders, scary religious objects, etc.) because something tells them to be aware. Would you think it proper for someone to use an eternal flame candle as part of a cache in the forest somewhere? And all caches are outlawed?

I could care less if a group of people want to go out in the woods and run around naked in a circle and pray to whetever they feel like. I guess I draw the line at cutting the heads off live chickens and goats, (animal sacrifice) burning live candles in the woods (that's bad enough) but to leave them burning! And we won't even go to the issue of littering.

But you show yourself. You could give less for any government employee. In your eyes, they should all be rounded up and be carted off to the dump.

I could care less if a group of people want to go out in the woods and run around naked in a circle and pray to whetever they feel like. I guess I draw the line at cutting the heads off live chickens and goats, (animal sacrifice) burning live candles in the woods (that's bad enough) but to leave them burning! And we won't even go to the issue of littering.

Littering? I already covered that. I did the job the Park-Circus Oaf-ishul should have done in the first place, if he wasn't so freaked-out by his own religious beliefs. He was incompetent. Fire hazard? Was lightly misting that morning, most candles were out. Drawing the line? Then be sure to stomp into every church on Sunday where they practice ritual cannibalism during communion. Oh, and don't make any thanksgiving-day nor x-mas dinners either. Those turkeys wouldn't want you making sacrifices of them so you can pray to your god at the table for the animal sacrifice you made of it.

Some of you need to learn how to use a mirror, desperately.

Littering? I already covered that. I did the job the Park-Circus Oaf-ishul should have done in the first place, if he wasn't so freaked-out by his own religious beliefs. He was incompetent. Fire hazard? Was lightly misting that morning, most candles were out. Drawing the line? Then be sure to stomp into every church on Sunday where they practice ritual cannibalism during communion. Oh, and don't make any thanksgiving-day nor x-mas dinners either. Those turkeys wouldn't want you making sacrifices of them so you can pray to your god at the table for the animal sacrifice you made of it.

You Sir are a Nut... that is the most polite thing I can say to you.

You mean the turkeys, chickens and the beef we eat didn't die of natural causes. I starting to feel sick LMFAO ya right

Because my finding skills are so bad I tend to spend more time searching than most people and I've found countless strange things near caches such as : a brand new nail gun in a box, a buried tribute to a teenage love, a rubber adult toy and a case of beer. (All in different locations).

One day when I was out caching I found torn up $1 and $20 bills and lots of costume jewelry. I turned it into a cache:- Tam Treasure Mystery (GC1Q6HJ):

434b5d41-5fd6-43d0-b6ef-d3f702a16357.jpg

I would have cashed it in. The treasury will replace worn and torn money. If you had enough of the bill they would have given you a fresh one for it.

Deer carcasses in various states of decay-many times. On my annual New Year's Day cachepedition we spotted one that was so fresh the blood was still red wrapped in a tarp about 50' from GZ of the cache stage.

An obscenely large cocoa colored 'pleasure toy' as big as my forearm and repaired with duct tape. OK, what are you doing that it tore, and how cheap are you that you patch it up with duct tape to continue using it until you decide to chuck it out in the woods behind the parking lot of the restaurant?

A gnome. On a riverside 'trail' that doesn't appear to get much use.

But the coolest evidence of 'outside the cache' activity I have seen are the nighttime pics that one local hider leaves inside his caches. He sets up a game camera opposite the cache and has some pics of deer, fox, and raccoons checking out the ammo can in the woods.

In NJ NOT finding something weird near, or on the way to the cache would be unusual. In fact the weird is so ordinary here that I can't think of all that many right now, but there have been plenty.

One thing that comes to mind is what looked like a little altar basically in the middle of nowhere.

f60b6b09-32b4-44f2-89f2-31457f548aa8.jpg

Found a complete deer skeleton (probably still there) above the UCSC campus, just off Empire Grade. Any naturalists want it? (Nah, they can probably get these fresher of the road at any time.)

A few old steel boilers.

The odd cement base or foundation to who-knows-what in the middle of a dense forest (probably from logging days.)

Lots of underwear (quite a Wild Life habitat we have here :D )

A small gold chain while doing a CITO

A tree supported by about 100 bottles on the same CITO