Webcam cache

adambro

Can someone advise me on what is the current situation with webcam caches? I've got a couple of webcam caches which I archived due to the webcam being unavailable at the time but where it is now available in at least one of the cases. Is it possible to unarchive such caches?

Cheers.

According to Haggis Hunters' Bookmark listing: which reflect what I though :D

For the owners of these caches - You may not know but if you disable your cache for maintenance, you will be able to re-enable it yourself. But if you archive it for any reason at all, you will never be able to re-activate it what so ever. Think carefully before archiving your cache! Ask around if you need it to be adopted, someone may want to, just to keep the icon going.

According to Haggis Hunters' Bookmark listing: which reflect what I though :D

For the owners of these caches - You may not know but if you disable your cache for maintenance, you will be able to re-enable it yourself. But if you archive it for any reason at all, you will never be able to re-activate it what so ever. Think carefully before archiving your cache! Ask around if you need it to be adopted, someone may want to, just to keep the icon going.

That was my understanding when I archived the cache but I wondered if that was still the situation. I can understand if GC wants to move away from webcam caches etc. by stopping new caches of this type but I'm not sure what the problem is with unarchiving old ones.

That was my understanding when I archived the cache but I wondered if that was still the situation. I can understand if GC wants to move away from webcam caches etc. by stopping new caches of this type but I'm not sure what the problem is with unarchiving old ones.

I think they want them to move over to Waymarking.com. I would email your friendly reviewer and see what they can do for you.

I think they want them to move over to Waymarking.com. I would email your friendly reviewer and see what they can do for you.

If nothing can be done remember "Other listing sites are available" :rolleyes:

Webcam (and virtual) caches that are currently in place and working can remain. However, if they have been disabled for too long or the owner is clearly not maintaining them (monitoring the logs for example) then we may archive them. If you (or the reviewers) archive such a cache it cannot be unarchived.

Read the guidelines here on maintenance of such caches.

Chris

Graculus - Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

Resource website for UK and Ireland Geoachers www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Edited by Graculus

Webcam (and virtual) caches that are currently in place and working can remain. However, if they have been disabled for too long or the owner is clearly not maintaining them (monitoring the logs for example) then we may archive them. If you (or the reviewers) archive such a cache it cannot be unarchived.

Read the guidelines here on maintenance of such caches.

Chris

Graculus - Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

Resource website for UK and Ireland Geoachers www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Thanks. I can forget about getting them unarchived then. :rolleyes:

However, even if the cache is archived it can still be 'Found'

I have a bookmark list with archived webcams, virtuals etc and some get logged now and again.

The main thing is to police it strictly, if there is any bogus logging TPTB might/will lock the cache permanently!

Mark