Bookmarking/watching someone elses public bookmark list

slow4321

Hi,

I've been trying to find a way to bookmark or watch someone elses shared/public bookmark list so that I can more easily find it in the future and be notified if/when they add/remove bookmarks. Is there a way to do this? It would be nice to not have to go to all the individual caches in the other person's list and add them to a bookmark list of my own.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by slow4321

You can create a Pocket Query based on someone else's shared/public bookmark list.

Thanks - I do recognize the pocket query option for the regular updates on the caches. However, would the pocket query reflect any new caches added to the bookmark list, or would it only highlight changes to the caches in the listing when the pocket query was created?

With respect to coming back to the bookmark list at a later date, outside of the pocket query option, it would still be nice if there was a way to bookmark other peoples' bookmark listings (i.e., create a "Favorites" list of bookmark lists). Some people have put significant effort into creating public/shared listings with particular themes/locales and this option would make it easier to keep track of ones that I'd already identified as being interesting to me.

Cheers,

Chris

With respect to coming back to the bookmark list at a later date, outside of the pocket query option, it would still be nice if there was a way to bookmark other peoples' bookmark listings (i.e., create a "Favorites" list of bookmark lists). Some people have put significant effort into creating public/shared listings with particular themes/locales and this option would make it easier to keep track of ones that I'd already identified as being interesting to me.

Cheers,

Chris

I agree. I wonder why GC has never made public bookmarks easier to find/search and collect especially since generally they are meant to help out other cachers.

Edited by Lone R

I am fairly new to the hobby , but would like to ask, NOT as a point of contention, but because I am sincerely curious...Why would you want to do this??? I mean, what would be the benefit??? Just wondering.

In short, a search to find someone else’s bookmark list might make it easier to find a specific type of cache you are looking for. Someone might like covered bridges and a list of caches at covered bridges would thrill them. Another might want a list of scuba diving caches. I once found a list of caches at haunted places which was great fun. Someone (don’t remember who) maintains a list of caches on RT 66 that will also help you find the elusive route as much as caches. I try to maintain a list of caches related to Lewis and Clark’s expedition. I would love to search for a bookmark list that would give me caches along the Oregon Trail. A well maintained bookmark list can help you find what you are looking for and prevent you from overlooking a cache that just might make your day.

This is really smart!!! ( you're going "duhhh" I know you are :ph34r: ) I never thought about using bookmarks for that purpose. Like I said, I am still learning. To be honest I didn't realize the bookmarks were public.

Interesting about the Route 66 part as I live about 2 miles from its path, and there are some great hides I have already found there.

I appreciate having this forum to learn the little "tricks" others have discovered.

Thanks to all who share!!!!!!