Microwave bomb plugged in

Otay, this one is a hoot!

How many inaccuracies can you find in this story?

And I love the part where the bomb squad says "it appeared to be plugged in". To what?

From: http://www.tdn.com/news/article_2729af5a-f...1cc4c002e0.html

Geocaching target prompts bomb squad visit near Castle Rock

By Tony Lystra / The Daily News | Posted: Monday, January 4, 2010 6:30 pm | (13) Comments

The Washington State Patrol bomb squad was called Monday to investigate a suspicious device that turned out to be a geocaching find north of Castle Rock.

Geocachers are hobbyists who employ coordinates and clues posted on the Web to find specific locations using global positioning system devices. The locations are usually marked with a symbol, trinket or note.

The Cowlitz County Sheriff's Office said a deputy was investigating a report of a suspicious car Monday morning when he came across a microwave tucked into a tree near Hog Island, which is along the Cowlitz River near West Side Highway. The appliance appeared to be plugged in, said Chief Criminal Deputy Charlie Rosenzweig.

The deputy called in the bomb squad, which arrived around 1:30 p.m., Rosenzweig said. In a statement issued Monday, the bomb squad said it used a jet of water to remotely open the microwave's door. Inside it found a Tupperware container with a geocache sticker.

"The WSP bomb squad understands that geocaching is a worldwide hobby, and we would ask that all geocache items are properly marked with the green geocache organization sticker on the outside container," the statement said.

Rosenzweig said he'd never heard of the bomb squad being called because of a geocache find, but geocaching Web sites include plenty of similar accounts. In September, the Colorado Springs bomb squad blew up what was later thought to be a geocache find at a community college, according to the blog Geocaching for Tomorrow.

Geocaching.com, a Web site where geocachers post clues, said Monday's discovery along the Cowlitz River was the work of GeoMimi55, an artist who lives in Cowlitz County. The Web site did not include GeoMimi55's real name, and she declined to provide it. Geocachers are known to keep their identities private.

In an e-mail to a reporter, GeoMimi55 said she prides herself on "making creative caches for others to find." She said she painted the microwave to blend in with its surroundings, then hid it in the hollow of a maple tree near the river.

"Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that a microwave plugged into a hollow tree stump would be mistaken for a bomb," she wrote, adding that Monday's events will be the talk of the local geocaching community.

"I will never live this event down," the e-mail said. "I am sure that the story will be told over and over about the grandma who was mistaken for a tree bomber."

Somebody should make a BINGO card for cache-bomb scare media stories.
"Bomb-scare Bingo"... has a nice ring to it, but I doubt the bomb squad would related to the humor.

I'm sure that by now, most of us have already figured out that the cache is No Blarney (GC1NBX3). I have to agree with the cache owner when she says, "Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that a microwave plugged into a hollow tree stump would be mistaken for a bomb" If this can be considered a potential bomb (and we have already heard of a film cannister being blown up as a potential bomb) then I doubt that there is anything we can do to avoid these incidents unless (maybe) all we hide are nanos.

"Bomb-scare Bingo"... has a nice ring to it, but I doubt the bomb squad would related to the humor.

I'm sure that by now, most of us have already figured out that the cache is No Blarney (GC1NBX3). I have to agree with the cache owner when she says, "Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that a microwave plugged into a hollow tree stump would be mistaken for a bomb" If this can be considered a potential bomb (and we have already heard of a film canister being blown up as a potential bomb) then I doubt that there is anything we can do to avoid these incidents unless (maybe) all we hide are nanos.

Just to be clear, my criticism is directed towards the way that these events get reported, not so much the actions of the bomb squad folks. In this particular case I can actually see why the container (a device with electronic components and a timer function) would have set off their hinky-meter.

If it hasn't happened already, it's only a matter of time before the object a nano is attached to gets "rendered safe".

I'm sure that by now, most of us have already figured out that the cache is No Blarney (GC1NBX3). I have to agree with the cache owner when she says, "Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that a microwave plugged into a hollow tree stump would be mistaken for a bomb" If this can be considered a potential bomb (and we have already heard of a film canister being blown up as a potential bomb) then I doubt that there is anything we can do to avoid these incidents unless (maybe) all we hide are nanos.

Just to be clear, my criticism is directed towards the way that these events get reported, not so much the actions of the bomb squad folks. In this particular case I can actually see why the container (a device with electronic components and a timer function) would have set off their hinky-meter.

If it hasn't happened already, it's only a matter of time before the object a nano is attached to gets "rendered safe".

Your intent was clear to me, at least.

The comments section for the article is worth reading, too. Apparently this was well off into the woods, at least a mile from any houses. Microwave was plugged into an outlet attached to the dead tree.

I loved this comment: What was it plugged into? A "current" bush?

The comments section for the article is worth reading, too. Apparently this was well off into the woods, at least a mile from any houses. Microwave was plugged into an outlet attached to the dead tree.

It could happen! Whyyyy I once saw MacGuyver strip the wires from a detonator and plug it into a cactus to 'splode the bad guys in the nick of time. (It was like the second episode of the first season and I NEVER watched again.) :D

Yeah, when reading these stories it makes me wonder, who is the guy who reported this as a bomb?

If I came accross this microwave a mile in the forest, even before I knew of Geocaching, I still would've opened it out of morbid curiousity, then would have found the Geocaching symbols and markings, and I would've said, cool! Of course then i'd still be sitting here chatting with you chaps. Meh. :D

It could happen! Whyyyy I once saw MacGuyver strip the wires from a detonator and plug it into a cactus to 'splode the bad guys in the nick of time. (It was like the second episode of the first season and I NEVER watched again.) :D

My wife is a fan of those "CSI" shows. I'm not allowed to talk while she is watching.

Yeah, when reading these stories it makes me wonder, who is the guy who reported this as a bomb?

If I came accross this microwave a mile in the forest, even before I knew of Geocaching, I still would've opened it out of morbid curiousity, then would have found the Geocaching symbols and markings, and I would've said, cool! Of course then i'd still be sitting here chatting with you chaps. Meh. :D

Probably the same knuckleheads that reported that there was a dead body in Lebanon Hill Regional Park when they ran across a ca 1850's toe pincher coffin in the woods.

Probably the same knuckleheads that reported that there was a dead body in Lebanon Hill Regional Park when they ran across a ca 1850's toe pincher coffin in the woods.

I'm going home tonite and plugging my microwave into every tree in the neighbourhood. If I find one that works, I will be RICH!!!!

I'm going home tonite and plugging my microwave into every tree in the neighbourhood. If I find one that works, I will be RICH!!!!

Fat chance, PG&E will come and confiscate the tree.

It could have been left by a lazy hunter who wanted to blow up game, rather than taking the time out to sit out there all day and shoot. I can also imagine a small child dragging their family's 3500W emergency power generator out there and then using it to microwave small animals, or even a small container of gasoline. It's clearly an imminent danger. :rolleyes:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

It could have been left by a lazy hunter who wanted to blow up game, rather than taking the time out to sit out there all day and shoot. I can also imagine a small child dragging their family's 3500W emergency power generator out there and then using it to microwave small animals, or even a small container of gasoline. :rolleyes:

Sadly people drive down backroads and dump their old electronics, a nice fringe benefit of charging a fee for hazardous waste disposal on electronics. Brilliant, eh?

If you look at that cache page it's only 100-200 feet from a road - Westside Highway, so I wouldn't exactly say it's well off into the woods.

I wouldn't say it looks like a spot to target for a bomb either, but it's not miles from anything.

Sadly people drive down backroads and dump their old electronics, a nice fringe benefit of charging a fee for hazardous waste disposal on electronics. Brilliant, eh?

Usually in the same places that deer carcasses are dumped. Why can't they work together and nuke the venison? :rolleyes:

Just this last Sunday I found a dear carcass (the legs at least) on one side of a creek, a recliner in the middle of the creek, and a TV on the far side of the creek.

It was a real shame, because otherwise the creek was rather pretty.

01-03-10%20051.jpg

Edited by Castle Mischief

Just this last Sunday I found a dear carcass (the legs at least) on one side of a creek, a recliner in the middle of the creek, and a TV on the far side of the creek.

AH! So there IS precedence!

Microwave bomb in tree, deer parts, recliner and TV scattered about the woods, it's all starting to come together... sounds like deermestic terrorism! :rolleyes:

I bet the trigger was in the remote... deer sits in recliner, reaches for the remote to turn on the TV, BLAM :D

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Usually in the same places that deer carcasses are dumped. Why can't they work together and nuke the venison? :rolleyes:

01-03-10%20051.jpg

Was it your granny?

01-03-10%20051.jpg

Was the TV plugged in? :D

If you look at that cache page it's only 100-200 feet from a road - Westside Highway, so I wouldn't exactly say it's well off into the woods.

I wouldn't say it looks like a spot to target for a bomb either, but it's not miles from anything.

A bomber will typically create on average about 10 practice bombs before they actually plant their first bomb on their target. They'll make these practice bombs to make sure they actually work, see how much damage will result, what improvements they want to make, etc. They'll set these bombs in remote areas usually in places like wooded areas or whatever is away from people. Many do not work and they're afraid to approach them to see what went wrong so they'll just leave them where they left them.

A few years ago we went to a report of an abandoned 1 gallon paint can after someone had found another seemingly discarded paint can, the lid was partially on, opened it, and it went off. The trigger was rigged so when the lid was removed it triggered the explosion. In this case the yield was minimal due to loosely packed gun powder. The finder's injuries only amounted to burns. The other can was better packed and could have caused more serious injuries.

On another occasion we located a portable TV that was rigged to detonate when it was turned on. We found it on the edge of town along a sidewalk. Fortunately someone found it and reported it as a possible stolen TV having been dumped. We had an informant who had earlier told us that a drug dealer in the area might be targeted with a TV bomb. Then this one shows up. We all got lucky on that one.

When you read about something being bombed you can be 100% certain that the bomber had practiced making bombs before and somewhere out there it's very likely he left his practice "failures".

As equally risky are discarged meth labs. Those can look like any normal household container or even 2 liter soda bottles. The residue can cause a person permanent damage.

Edited by Wadcutter

Usually in the same places that deer carcasses are dumped. Why can't they work together and nuke the venison? ;)

01-03-10%20051.jpg

Was it your granny?

Granted, I don't read in the forums very often, but that was the funniest thing I've read or heard all week. Thanks. :blink:

Microwave bomb in tree, deer parts, recliner and TV scattered about the woods, it's all starting to come together... sounds like deermestic terrorism! :blink:

I bet the trigger was in the remote... deer sits in recliner, reaches for the remote to turn on the TV, BLAM ;)

No, No...Hunter sets up Microwave Bomb, then sits in Recliner and watches TV until unsuspecting Deer comes along.

Microwave bomb in tree, deer parts, recliner and TV scattered about the woods, it's all starting to come together... sounds like deermestic terrorism! :blink:

I bet the trigger was in the remote... deer sits in recliner, reaches for the remote to turn on the TV, BLAM ;)

No, No...Hunter sets up Microwave Bomb, then sits in Recliner and watches TV until unsuspecting Deer comes along.

That's EXACTLY what happens! :lol:

I bet the trigger was in the remote... deer sits in recliner, reaches for the remote to turn on the TV, BLAM

All these years, I never thought the recliner/TV bait would work on a deer. I wonder what shows work best. Like, should I leave a note alongside the remote that says "Turn on channel 12 to catch the latest episode of American Idol"? Do deer even care who wins? I've never seen a deer contestant, so I doubt it. But, make SURE you deprogram any outdoor channels from the tuner.

Or does the whole thing blow up as soon as the remote is pushed? I don't see any sport in that.

Edited by Bassanio

A bomber will typically create on average about 10 practice bombs before they actually plant their first bomb on their target. They'll make these practice bombs to make sure they actually work, see how much damage will result, what improvements they want to make, etc. They'll set these bombs in remote areas usually in places like wooded areas or whatever is away from people. Many do not work and they're afraid to approach them to see what went wrong so they'll just leave them where they left them.

A few years ago we went to a report of an abandoned 1 gallon paint can after someone had found another seemingly discarded paint can, the lid was partially on, opened it, and it went off. The trigger was rigged so when the lid was removed it triggered the explosion. In this case the yield was minimal due to loosely packed gun powder. The finder's injuries only amounted to burns. The other can was better packed and could have caused more serious injuries.

On another occasion we located a portable TV that was rigged to detonate when it was turned on. We found it on the edge of town along a sidewalk. Fortunately someone found it and reported it as a possible stolen TV having been dumped. We had an informant who had earlier told us that a drug dealer in the area might be targeted with a TV bomb. Then this one shows up. We all got lucky on that one.

When you read about something being bombed you can be 100% certain that the bomber had practiced making bombs before and somewhere out there it's very likely he left his practice "failures".

As equally risky are discarged meth labs. Those can look like any normal household container or even 2 liter soda bottles. The residue can cause a person permanent damage.

Now that is very interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

Seems the terrorist have achieved their objective. The news media constantly reports public terror... from airplanes to remote tree stumps.

Guess I'm lucky to have lived most of my life in the carefree rock and roll 50s, angry protesting 60s and 70s, technological 80s and 90s, and now the permanent fearful turn of the century. I didn't fear Y2K and refuse to fear 2012 or terrorist attack. I would have opened the microwave regardless of a suspicious vehicle in the area.

Edited by Eddol
I bet the trigger was in the remote... deer sits in recliner, reaches for the remote to turn on the TV, BLAM

All these years, I never thought the recliner/TV bait would work on a deer. I wonder what shows work best. Like, should I leave a note alongside the remote that says "Turn on channel 12 to catch the latest episode of American Idol"? Do deer even care who wins? I've never seen a deer contestant, so I doubt it. But, make SURE you deprogram any outdoor channels from the tuner.

Or does the whole thing blow up as soon as the remote is pushed? I don't see any sport in that.

No no no. Leave the outdoor channels on the tuner. The hunting shows are like horror flicks for the deer.

And leave the nature channels too. That's like deer pron.

The microwave bomb was an obvious attempt to thwart the evil beavers plans to dam up the river. What was left out of the story was the microwave was actually plugged in to the worlds largest potato buried under the stump. This monster potato was capable of generating enough electricity to pop a bag of popcorn which would cause kernels to lodge between the beavers teeth when they ate it. Thus preventing them from being able to cut down the before mentioned oak tree. :P

It also left out the fact that the dude that found it was taking a whizz on the tree and whizzing on a microwave never turns out good

...It could happen! Whyyyy I once saw MacGuyver strip the wires from a detonator and plug it into a cactus to 'splode the bad guys in the nick of time. (It was like the second episode of the first season and I NEVER watched again.) :P

He's normally based on accurate if exaggerated science. I have no doubt that a cactus with two different types of wire could generate a current. Enough current or those wires being different metals...that would be where MacGuiver parts company with reality.

...It could happen! Whyyyy I once saw MacGuyver strip the wires from a detonator and plug it into a cactus to 'splode the bad guys in the nick of time. (It was like the second episode of the first season and I NEVER watched again.) :P

He's normally based on accurate if exaggerated science. I have no doubt that a cactus with two different types of wire could generate a current. Enough current or those wires being different metals...that would be where MacGuiver parts company with reality.

If potatoes can be made into batteries, why not a cactus?

http://www.miniscience.com/projects/PotatoElectricity/

By the way, you can make a decent battery from a bunch of nickels, a bunch of pennies, some newspaper, vinegar or lemon juice, and a container to put it in.

By the way, you can make a decent battery from a bunch of nickels, a bunch of pennies, some newspaper, vinegar or lemon juice, and a container to put it in.
(Note to self: Add small bottle of lemon juice to caching kit.) Actually, I can make some very decent batteries with $3.95.

By the way, isn't it about time for this bomb scare post to turn angsty?

No, you misunderstood. The TV and remote are for the hunter. The microwave bomb is for the deer.

The hunter watches TV until a deer comes along. The deer puts his corn in the microwave to pop, and when he hits the Start button... boom!

No, you misunderstood. The TV and remote are for the hunter. The microwave bomb is for the deer.

The hunter watches TV until a deer comes along.

Can't happen. There was no beer cooler.

But hunting is a sport. And "It's not a sport if you can drink beer while you do it." So the beer cooler is back at the camp.

(Apologies to any golfers and bowlers who are reading this. I didn't want to be the one to tell you.)

The hunter watches TV until a deer comes along.

Can't happen. There was no beer cooler.

But hunting is a sport. And "It's not a sport if you can drink beer while you do it." So the beer cooler is back at the camp.

(Apologies to any golfers and bowlers who are reading this. I didn't want to be the one to tell you.)

I've always followed that rule too, that's why I leave my beer in a cooler in the truck when I cache, in a lame attempt to fool myself into thinking that geocaching is a sport. :P

This cache was placed by some geofriends, and probably the most well known/respected geocachers in my area. Its too bad because it was a creative cache that looked nothing like a bomb. The first indication should have been that it was plugged into the tree. Im not sure if the painted on leaves might have made someone wonder what evil intent it had. Anyways the cache itself was totally destroyed.

But I guess its better to be safe than sorry. Although its rather ironic. The CO came into my work a couple of days ago to talk to me and I mentioned that I thought about posting the story on the geocaching forums but didnt lol.

This cache was placed by some geofriends, and probably the most well known/respected geocachers in my area. Its too bad because it was a creative cache that looked nothing like a bomb. The first indication should have been that it was plugged into the tree. Im not sure if the painted on leaves might have made someone wonder what evil intent it had. Anyways the cache itself was totally destroyed.

But I guess its better to be safe than sorry. Although its rather ironic. The CO came into my work a couple of days ago to talk to me and I mentioned that I thought about posting the story on the geocaching forums but didnt lol.

Next time they should put one of these stickers on it

bumba.jpg

It was very clear to me, at least, that the hider is very well respected in your area, and liked for her fun and creative caches. Its a sad reality in these days of explosive shoes and underwear and white powder in envelopes that those in charge of protecting us (and themselves) must take the stance of "blow up now, ask questions later".

Next time they should put one of these stickers on it

bumba.jpg

:lol: With my luck, the first responder would have left his reading glasses back at the station. BOOM!!! :P