0 room on garmin 550t

I deleted the topo map that comes with the 550t and had previously saved it and am trying to copy it back, but my computer says there is zero bytes free. But total of all files is just about 500 megs. what gives? I seem to remember a post that explained how to free up memory. Something about the .img file is not really deleted but still takes up space.

If you deleted the file on the Mac it could be in your .Trashes folder.

How much free space shows on the 550t's internal memory drive? Make sure you are looking at the drive for internal memory not the drive associated with the SD card.

No it is on the garmin drive not the SD card drive and it reports zero space.

What OS?

If you don't mind listing all the files and their size (provided its not a very long list), or list the largest files together with number of files in each directory, it may be easier for someone to compare to their 550t.

Mac 10.6

Garmin icon info says 2.6 megs free

Opening screen:

autorun.inf - 4k

Dcim 0k

Garmin 2.7 megs

Wherigo 4 k

Garmin directory:

Extdata- 713K

fs_image - 4K

Garmindevice.xml -12K

Garmintriangletm.ico - 29K

getcache_visits.txt - 16K

gmapprom.sum - 4K

gmaptz.imgGPX - 602K

GPX - 8K

JPEG -OK

PROFILES -1.2 MEGS

REMOTESW -41K

STARTUP.TXT - 4K

SYSTEM.XML 4K

TEXT -0K

Hope this helps

Have you emptied the trash? On a MAC, it stores the trash on the GPS in a hidden folder.

Ya double check that. It does this with all Garmin units. If you throw it in the trash it does not delete it from the unit just removes it from being seen. You have to empty the trash with it plugged in for it to remove old files.

Have you emptied the trash? On a MAC, it stores the trash on the GPS in a hidden folder.

Ya double check that. It does this with all Garmin units. If you throw it in the trash it does not delete it from the unit just removes it from being seen. You have to empty the trash with it plugged in for it to remove old files.

My main computer that I did it on is in California, I am in Oregon till Wed. Will check it out then, Thanks

My main computer that I did it on is in California, I am in Oregon till Wed. Will check it out then, Thanks

Thanks to everyone who answered. That was the fix, just deleted the trash on my mac freed up 3.8 gigs. Thanks again

Little late here but you could have just moved the file from the trash back to the Garmin folder instead of emptying the trash and them copying it back as it was still on the drive.

good try but the file was not shown in the trash can so i could not restore it or move it,

You didn't have your Permissions set to view them, but they were there. Best to log on as the "Super User" and use the sudo command for /Volumes/<volumename>/.Trashes/