Official Geocaching app for Android

I'm not really sure what to make of this thread. A tweet from an employee of a company saying he's seen an internally developed app might mean it's "in testing", but not in the common sense of the term as it's not a public test. No call for volunteers has been made and no staff has commented in this thread, so this seems like the wrong place to volunteer for testing that hasn't even opened yet.

I'm not really sure what to make of this thread. A tweet from an employee of a company saying he's seen an internally developed app might mean it's "in testing", but not in the common sense of the term as it's not a public test. No call for volunteers has been made and no staff has commented in this thread, so this seems like the wrong place to volunteer for testing that hasn't even opened yet.

1. You may be able to just take it as a lighthearted comment. Some of us are happy to see an android app and just wanted to say something to show that interest. If you so chose, you could view it in the same light as voicing your agreement of a point made in a conversation, even though it was not specifically asked for. Would you feel the same if you were part of an open conversation, agreed with a statement made, and somebody else said "Im not sure what to make of that agreement. No request was made for confirmation of points presented, so that acknowledgment seems out of place"?

2. It may also have been with the intent of letting GS know that there is an interest from people who have experience beta testing in helping out. If I see a neighbor moving a heavy piece of furniture, and I'm available, I head outside and offer to help. I'd find it rather odd if another neighbor walked out and said "I'm not sure what to make of this conversation. They never asked for help, this seems like the wrong time to offer it." The offer may be taken, it may not, but its no skin off of my nose, or yours, for people to offer.

3. Sometimes, a comment is just a comment.

Edited by maggi101

Looking forward to it. However i find with the Garmin Oregon that the 'offline database' capability of Cachemate/Geodroid (which i loved when i had my 60csx + Palm) isn't as necessary since all the descriptions are on the Oregon.

The 'live' capability of the official app however, is in a different class of usefulness since wherever you are at, you can get the caches..

Found this link to "Moo Productions" which is supposedly the one publishing this app called "Geocacher" for the Droid platform.

http://www.mooproductions.org/node/2

It looks like a really nice app. I've been thinking about getting a Droid from Verizon and this will probably put me over the edge on that.

That looks promising. I don't like the compass they are using but otherwise it's pretty inclusive.

Found this link to "Moo Productions" which is supposedly the one publishing this app called "Geocacher" for the Droid platform.

http://www.mooproductions.org/node/2

It looks like a really nice app. I've been thinking about getting a Droid from Verizon and this will probably put me over the edge on that.

As a minor correction, Droid is a phone made by Motorola, offered by Verizon. Android is the platform/operating system. I assume Motorola intentionally chose the name to cause this sort of confusion/association.

So I just want to point out to anyone that may be unaware, that this app will work on any Android-based phone (Hero, Moment, Droid, G1, etc).

With the initially proposed launch date passed, it feels like everyday is Christmas eve. I just want to wake up tomorrow and open my Geocaching App gift!

Maybe I'd feel better if Groundspeak made a forum just for the android phone like it has for the iphone. We could track all the rumors in one place.

Edited by JohnE5