Frozen geocaches

Mom-n-Andy

ice-chopper and fire.

voice of experience.

build a fire on it and keep chipping the ice until it's free.

46 responses on how to get something out of a block of ice and finally someone suggests an ice pick.

To the OP...good luck on getting this one. Be sure to let us know what cache this is after you've found it. I'm close enough that I could go after it myself and I enjoy a good puzzle cache. Considering the number of good puzzle caches in your area I'm surprised that the FTF has lasted this long.

An unfound cache in the Rochester, NY area? Easy to find in the listings. I ain't sayin' though. :D

Well, I didn't actually say ice pick, but I agreed pocket knife was a good idea.

As I was reading this forum I thought to myself...what would I use in this situation? Oh yeah, I have been in this situation before. The cache was a metal pipe that was frozen in the ground. I spent 20 minutes chipping away the ice with the only thing I had that was strong enough available. A pair of tweezers. I wish I would have had some de-icer with me, (which incidently I have added to my caching bag)

And now, I am dying to know what Mom-N-Andy will find in this cache. The FTF might be a set of keys to a...."BRAND NEW CAR!!!" or maybe just a $5 dollar bill. Who knows but my curiosity has got me going crazy.

How do I get this forum to send me a message when something new is posted to it??????

Either a chainsaw or four months of time and a warming trend.

A small propane torch like pastry chefs use for creme brulee?

Let me guess... you've got access to just such an item?

Sitting on my desk as I type. But the plays well with food title is for real. I'm in a restaurant kitchen. We make cheesecakes (really really good ones) from scratch in 4 cake batches and freeze them. So it's helpful to remove the frozen cake from the pan. And I have crusted a few hundred creme brulees here for catered events in the past 10 years too.

Oh yeah, I figured. I just wanted to see if you'd admit to being a PASTRY CHEF! :D

Okay, seriously this time. Would salt work? Maybe a little de-icer? I hesitate to mention the de-icer because I'm not a big fan of spraying the great outdoors with chemicals. I'm guessing the slugs are not out this time of year, so maybe salt or a little bit of REALLY salty water.

You think salt isn't a chemical? Salt is much more harmful to plants than commercial de-icer products.

Technically water is a chemical too. I was thinking in quantities smaller than your typical "de-ice the front walk" job. Point taken.

As I was reading this forum I thought to myself...what would I use in this situation? Oh yeah, I have been in this situation before. The cache was a metal pipe that was frozen in the ground. I spent 20 minutes chipping away the ice with the only thing I had that was strong enough available. A pair of tweezers. I wish I would have had some de-icer with me, (which incidently I have added to my caching bag)

And now, I am dying to know what Mom-N-Andy will find in this cache. The FTF might be a set of keys to a...."BRAND NEW CAR!!!" or maybe just a $5 dollar bill. Who knows but my curiosity has got me going crazy.

How do I get this forum to send me a message when something new is posted to it??????

At the top of the thread click on "options". From the drop down menu select "track this topic". From there choose your preferred option.

At the top of the thread click on "options". From the drop down menu select "track this topic". From there choose your preferred option.

Thank you. I got tired of refreshing the page...lol

Oh yeah, I figured. I just wanted to see if you'd admit to being a PASTRY CHEF!

what's there to admit?

pastry chefs are right on the top of my list of attractive men, along with massage therapists and professional cyclists.

ooooh, BABY!

...crème brulée...

It looks like the bottom and possibly one side of the ammo box are frozen to the wood. I don't think that there is a pool of frozen water in there.

STOP THE PRESSES! An ammo can you say? Have you tried (gently) smacking the crap out of it? Not like "fending off a rabid wolverine" hard, but more like "no, I really don't want to try the fried tomatoes" hard or even "I told you I've moved on, now get off my porch" hard.

You know, not so hard that you could damage an ammo can, but hard enough to break ice. I'm assuming that the contents are not priceless glass figurines.

Oh and I totally take back the salt suggestion. Heck, that might rust the ammo can. :D

what's there to admit?

pastry chefs are right on the top of my list of attractive men, along with massage therapists and professional cyclists.

ooooh, BABY!

...crème brulée...

I think the most attractive (to her) man my wife has ever met was a chocolatier. Thank goodness I keep her subdued with post-hypnotic suggestions.

It looks like the bottom and possibly one side of the ammo box are frozen to the wood. I don't think that there is a pool of frozen water in there.

STOP THE PRESSES! An ammo can you say? Have you tried (gently) smacking the crap out of it? Not like "fending off a rabid wolverine" hard, but more like "no, I really don't want to try the fried tomatoes" hard or even "I told you I've moved on, now get off my porch" hard.

You know, not so hard that you could damage an ammo can, but hard enough to break ice. I'm assuming that the contents are not priceless glass figurines.

Oh and I totally take back the salt suggestion. Heck, that might rust the ammo can. :)

:D:D

Might even be able to get away with "I WANT THIS FIRST TO FIND AND I AM GOING TO GET IT!!!!" hard.

I'm surprised that with all of the talk about "Ammo-Cans & War time" that no one has suggested an MRE Heater... Here's a description of what it does:

"NSN 8970-01-321-9153 Raises temperature of 8 oz food pouch at least 100° degrees Fahrenheit Uses no flame or electricity Activates with 2 oz. plain water Environmentally friendly iron, magnesium, & sodium composition Easy to use Flameless Ration Heater (FRH) is the water-activated, environmentally friendly heater especially designed for the US Army to heat a soldier's individual eight ounce Meals, Ready to Eat (MRE) field ration."

Since each heater is the size of a playing card it's easy to stash them in your "cachepack". They should be readily available at most Army Surplus Stores, if that's not an option, Google MRE Heater, you can buy them on Amazon! Anyways, if 100° won't get it to budge... Spring will. :D

Not only is it an FTF, but the dang thing was placed months ago and I'm the only one so far who has been able to figure out the mystery coordinates. I MUST HAVE THIS CACHE!

If this is for a FTF, that raises the bar. You might try some C-4 or maybe a small nuclear hand grenade. :):D

:D

C-4 would work. You just have to figure out the launch angle so that you know where the ammo can is going to land. I wouldn't suggest the nuclear grenade...that heat would melt all the McToys and leave a gooey mess inside the cache. Plus, you'd probably be vaporized and couldn't claim the FTF anyway :D

If you figure out a way of getting the cache out, please remember to leave no trace.

Meaning, please don't hurt the tree with any chemicals or tearing it apart

If you figure out a way of getting the cache out, please remember to leave no trace.

Meaning, please don't hurt the tree with any chemicals or tearing it apart

Thus the reason for the MRE Heater suggestion... they are made to be eco-friendly, and won't hurt the tree stump like flame would, hollow tree stump to me screams flammable...

Edited by AZ Cache Family

Can you get both hands in the log? How about some of the grippy mat stuff (you know, looks like little bubbles of go) or a rubber pad and some elbow grease? If the ice isn't thick (just frozen condensation), it should start budging once you have a better grip. Otherwise, an MRE heater sounds like a great idea. I doubt hand warmers would get warm enough.

And did you try begging? Asking nicely? I find that talking to inanimate objects makes them much more amenable to cooperating with my devious motives.

The only ideas I can come up with are rather impractical for a cache 2 miles in the woods. It involves a heater and a pump to recirculate water.

Google for "Zodi". I hear even wally-world carries them for about $80 these days. Traveled through national forests for a few years on photography expeditions and the occasional hot-shower was a real treat. You can put the shower-head back into the bucket to recirculate it long enough to get the whole bucket of water scalding hot if you aren't careful.

Sitting on my desk as I type. But the plays well with food title is for real. I'm in a restaurant kitchen. We make cheesecakes (really really good ones) from scratch in 4 cake batches and freeze them. So it's helpful to remove the frozen cake from the pan. And I have crusted a few hundred creme brulees here for catered events in the past 10 years too.

Oh yeah, I figured. I just wanted to see if you'd admit to being a PASTRY CHEF! :rolleyes:

No chance, but on occasion I do employ one to do my sweet work. I don't even call myself a chef. I own the business and do whatever needs to be done here. But I don't even have a title on my business cards.

Sorry flask....

Does anyone have any good ideas about freeing a geocache that is solidly frozen in the hollow of a tree?

Brute force? Worked for me last weekend.

Got back to caching after 3 years away. Found first cache. Frozen solid in the tree. Found a dead stick on the ground. Pried at the cache until the cache came loose.

Then I couldnt get the LID off as it was frozen. Well, 5 minutes under my jacket solved that.

BL

No chance, but on occasion I do employ one to do my sweet work. I don't even call myself a chef. I own the business and do whatever needs to be done here. But I don't even have a title on my business cards.

Sorry flask....

i don't care what your title is or isn't. the bottom line is that you have crème brulée.

my enthusiasm for which ranges from merely enthusiastic to problematic.

ice-chopper and fire.

voice of experience.

46 responses on how to get something out of a block of ice and finally someone suggests an ice pick.

To the OP...good luck on getting this one. Be sure to let us know what cache this is after you've found it. I'm close enough that I could go after it myself and I enjoy a good puzzle cache. Considering the number of good puzzle caches in your area I'm surprised that the FTF has lasted this long.

Is it possible that the final part of the puzzle is freeing the cache?

I ran into this problem a few years ago -- ammo can frozen in a hollow log deep in the woods. I took an image of it and sent it to the hider as proof of the find and requested in my log that the next finder who could open the container please sign my name. That took care of the problem. :rolleyes:

Fair enough, but for a hard puzzle FTF, probably wouldn't cut it. Also, likely would make the next finder mad.

ice-chopper and fire.

voice of experience.

Hey, now...! Did you totally miss my post #29?

"Now, that's an ice pick."

There is a display downtown of a bunch of ice sculptures. I believe that they're roughed out using a chain saw. That particular tool might work in this instance as well.

Edited by NYPaddleCacher

You know what we're missing in coastal California? An ammo can frozen in a tree. A bit hard to do with these dadgum warm temperatures of late. Maybe if we filled it with water and packed some dry ice around it the day before it is published it might, just might present a similar challenge to the FTF hounds. :rolleyes:

You know what we're missing in coastal California? An ammo can frozen in a tree. A bit hard to do with these dadgum warm temperatures of late. Maybe if we filled it with water and packed some dry ice around it the day before it is published it might, just might present a similar challenge to the FTF hounds. :rolleyes:

You could try bringing a portable freezer and plug it into a tree....

Does anyone have any good ideas about freeing a geocache that is solidly frozen in the hollow of a tree?

Pour some rubbing alcohol on it.

Or better yet, get your self a good bottle of scotch have a drink and wait for Spring. :rolleyes:

Get a bottle of scotch. Have a dozen drinks and wait to spring a leak. (note-I highly recommend using the services of a designated driver!)

You could try bringing a portable freezer and plug it into a tree....

Tried it, all the darn trees are DC around here and portable freezers require AC.

I appreciate all the suggestions and the humor. This cache was a ton of fun for me. Even figuring out how to overcome the obstacles was fun. For those who like puzzle caches, this one was GC1ZWH1 Taz's Lost Cache. The cache uses evince, so you'll be able to see whether you solved the puzzle.

FYI, what finally worked was packing Nalgene bottles full of really hot water around the cache and letting the ice melt. I repositioned the cache so hopefully it will not be as likely to freeze in the future. I would not suggest pouring hot water on a cache like this or using any kind of chemical as those solutions could cause other problems.

For what it's worth, I got a FTF lammy (little laminated certificate) and the fun of the hunt..

Thanks. I don't really want to get too specific, but for my own reasons I REALLY want to be FTF on this cache. I found it, and now I desperately want to claim it. Oh, well is not an option. The canteen idea is a good one, except that I intend to backpack in a whole bunch of Nalgene bottles full of very hot water and use the heat to thaw the cavity and loose the cache.

Warm water from your canteen? Though that would leave more water to freeze for the next finder. Gentle prying? Saying "Oh. Well?"

Give it a few good kicks or knocks with a hammer. If you break it you can always apologize profusely and offer to replace the container.

Seriously, many of my caches are frozen in place in the winter. If I get a DNF log where someone found the cache but couldn't dislodge it, I tell him it's fine with me if he logs a find. He found the cache and that is the point of the sport. Check with the cache owner and see if he'll accept your find.

Give it a few good kicks or knocks with a hammer. If you break it you can always apologize profusely and offer to replace the container.

Seriously, many of my caches are frozen in place in the winter. If I get a DNF log where someone found the cache but couldn't dislodge it, I tell him it's fine with me if he logs a find. He found the cache and that is the point of the sport. Check with the cache owner and see if he'll accept your find.

Heh Heh, someone hasn't read the last couple posts of this thread.

She retrieved the cache with hot water bottles to melt the ice.