iPod Touch GPS

ADKSherpa

Hey! I have an iPod Touch 2G and was thinking about getting a GPS set up on it so I could use it hiking and geocaching. I've seen a few different ways that this can be done including the iGPS360 module and other bluetooth GPS receivers but what does everyone think? What is the easiest, most cost-effective and most "productive" way of doing this (productive meaning, best signal, accuracy, battery life, etc). Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Ryan :unsure:

What is the easiest, most cost-effective and most "productive" way of doing this (productive meaning, best signal, accuracy, battery life, etc).

IMO the best option, based on your criteria, is to buy one of the older high accuracy GPS units. i.e. The Garmin eTrex Venture HC. If battery life is more important than cost, then the eTrex Legend (or Vista) HCX.

What is the easiest, most cost-effective and most "productive" way of doing this (productive meaning, best signal, accuracy, battery life, etc).

IMO the best option, based on your criteria, is to buy one of the older high accuracy GPS units. i.e. The Garmin eTrex Venture HC. If battery life is more important than cost, then the eTrex Legend (or Vista) HCX.

I have a GPSMap 60CS but I was looking to supplement it with something on my iPod. I would like to have everything (waypoints, tracks, cach info, etc) right on my ipod and be able to look at it with the big color screen, as well. I do have a standard GPS as a back up, however. And, battery life isnt THAT important to me, I just dont want something that will run out after an hour. Thanks!

I have a GPSMap 60CS but I was looking to supplement it with something on my iPod. I would like to have everything (waypoints, tracks, cach info, etc) right on my ipod and be able to look at it with the big color screen, as well. I do have a standard GPS as a back up, however. And, battery life isnt THAT important to me, I just dont want something that will run out after an hour. Thanks!

You can buy/make external battery packs for the ipod touch, by the way, so that it can run on AA's. My biggest concern with using the ipod touch would be it's lack of waterproofness/durability if dropped. Maybe find some way to attach a lanyard to it or something at least.

You can buy/make external battery packs for the ipod touch, by the way, so that it can run on AA's. My biggest concern with using the ipod touch would be it's lack of waterproofness/durability if dropped. Maybe find some way to attach a lanyard to it or something at least.

Well thats one thing I was thinking, as well. If I got a bluetooth receiver I could have that attached to my backpack or somewhere and leave my iPod in my pocket most of the time, and still keep a signal. I would definitely find a harder case or lanyard, as well, though.

DualAV announced this a couple months ago, but it's not shipping yet. There's a link on their web page to be notified when it's available. And though there's an "available on the App Store" icon on their site, the NavAtlas app isn't available either.
Whoa, they must have been listening! Released to the iTunes app store today...

http://appshopper.com/navigation/navatlas-us-canada

It's a 1.9GB application containing a complete Navteq US & Canada map, and it's free. But it ONLY works with the iPod Touch using their cradle ... while their home page still shows a "click here to be notified" when the cradle itself is available.

Edited by lee_rimar

I'm watching this product space too. I will not mind too much paying more for this solution than I would have for a stand alone gpsr for one important reason. Thanks to Apple, anyone providing an external gpsr to the iPod Touch have to provide the location information to all apps on the Touch through the built in location services. This means that not only do I get to use whatever app the gps cradle comes with, I also get to enjoy any other app I choose to buy. I can use Groundspeaks app, apps that specialize on hiking and show topo maps, location logging apps, etc. It's a GPS solution that has many different types of applications.

It is rather fragile compared to an outdoor gpsr, but I got used to that with the Garmin iQue.

So far, it looks like there are 4 ways to get an external gps for the Touch. To summarize:

www.posimotion.com sells a wifi gpsr that has been out for over a year. They have been promising the US navigation app to go with it "very soon" for the same long year. Sigh. Currently $100 for the gpsr, app should be around $40, total cost around $140. The gpsr has it's own battery and could be used for geocaching.

TomTom has a nice app/car cradle solution that is actually out and can be purchased! $99.95 for the cradle, currently $59.99 for the app. Total cost around $160. Cradle has no battery, not really intended for geocaching. No microphone on the cradle for the touch.

Dual has announced a gps cradle for the touch. Should be out any day now, for the past 3 months. Should be around $170 for the cradle, app is free and already in the store. Total cost around $170. The cradle has it's own built in battery, and so could be used for geocaching. The cradle also can charge the touch, but not when the gps is on. It also has a microphone, which could be useful.

Magellan has a car cradle that will work with the touch and its also out. $129.99 for the cradle, $79.99 for the app. Total cost around $210. Ouch. Cradle has no battery, not intended for geocaching. Cradle is the same for the iPhone and the Touch, so it has a microphone but it connects via bluetooth as its intended for hands free calling. Not sure how well that will work with the Touch.