Forget about FTF's, what's about shared FTF's?

SooMukwas

If Grundspeak doesn't recognize FTF then why is there a FTF section at the top of their official log sheets? :lol:

When some of these elite FTF Hunter Haters tell me that an FTF is not "a real thing", that is just thoughtless.

Why do you suspect Taoisearch of being a FTF Hunter Hater? I certainly didn't get that impression from his post. What I picked up was more an apathy emotion than a hateful one. Since FTFs are not recognized, sanctioned or controlled by Groundspeak, many feel that they are not a legitimate part of the game. The FTF proponents have chimed in here several times, stating what the "FTF Rules" were, yet there are no FTF rules. The entire concept exists as a fiction between the cache owner and the person who locates the cache first. While it's true that for many, this fiction can add a tremendous thrill to the hunt, there is nothing official about it. Strictly a subset of the game, which many don't participate in. Typically, those who don't participate aren't haters. They just don't cache for the same reasons as the FTF players.

Don't confuse accuracy with thoughtlessness. :P

If Grundspeak doesn't recognize FTF then why is there a FTF section at the top of their official log sheets? :lol:

... because they recognize that it's something that some cachers care about, and it increases the appeal of the log sheets that they sell.

Groundspeak doesn't keep stats on FTFs, nor do they have rules or guidelines about FTFs.

Nobody was hating on FTFs or people who try to get FTFs. Any "hate" was directed at those geocachers who create arbitrary personal rules and then expect all other geocachers to follow those rules.

If FTF don't exist, why was I able to copy this from GC's Glossary of Terms?

FTF

First to Find. An acronym written by geocachers in physical cache logbooks or online when logging cache finds to denote being the first to find a new geocache.

So based on this, it seems that GC does recognize FTFs.

In our area, the majority of the cachers like to race after the FTFs in friendly competition. We all like the thrill of the race, but even more, we like meeting up with friends and having a fun time searching for the cache. If a group of us met up at a new cache, we all work as a team to find it and then share the FTF once it has been found.

Also a majority of cache hiders leave FTF prizes in their caches. In our latest cache we left an unactivated geocoin. When it comes to a FTF prize and a group search, we let the actually finder keep the prize.

Thanks to johngie for your statement. I've already thought, that me and my caching colleagues were the only ones, to handle FTF in a broad-minded way.

If there is a group of cachers looking for a new cache, not all the cachers can search at the same place at the same time. So there will be a cacher with detects the cache first, but this might be pure luck and it could have been easily another one of the group. So, why not logging a share-FTF? It does not hurt the owner (I still feel no pain from mines) and all cachers of the group can have a FTF in their track-record.

Denying such doing will lead to egoistic behavior of the cachers and also to obstructive actions at multi-stage caches. This cannot be the goal of geocaching. A shared experience is much more valuable to all of the group.

somebody came and claimed firstfind on a cache i'd found twelve days earlier. their log looks a little funny there after mine, loudly proclaiming their firstfind.

some people will do that, i guess.

it ain't no skin offa my tail.

I was co-FTF with two good friends at a paddle cache. I just happened to be in the proper end of the rowboat to make the grab.

That's not the whole story, though.

Y'see, the cache owner had said in the description that this was a "kayak" cache.

Somebody came along two days later and claimed FTF because they had used a kayak, and we'd been in a rowboat.

:P

FTF

First to Find. An acronym written by geocachers in physical cache logbooks or online when logging cache finds to denote being the first to find a new geocache.

I think someone as pendantic as I pointed out previously that this indicates they recognize only the acronym.

Another cacher tried to foist a co-FTF upon me, but he spotted and grabbed the cache first so I don't count that one.

Can't there only be one First To Find on a cache?

Unless more than one cacher physically finds the cache at the exact same time, there is really only one who can claim being the 'first to find' it, no?

Or how do shared FTF's work?

It seems that most of you have forgotten that this is just a game. Everyone has to use their own conscience to play the game. I have seem someone who takes a carload and drops of one at a time and everyone searches a different cache and all of them claim the find. This person is claiming over 30,000 finds. No one gets paid for their finds or their numbers. Let people play the way they want. Sorry I got on a soap box and did'nt mean too,

FTF

In our area, the majority of the cachers like to race after the FTFs in friendly competition. We all like the thrill of the race, but even more, we like meeting up with friends and having a fun time searching for the cache. If a group of us met up at a new cache, we all work as a team to find it and then share the FTF once it has been found.

Also a majority of cache hiders leave FTF prizes in their caches. In our latest cache we left an unactivated geocoin. When it comes to a FTF prize and a group search, we let the actually finder keep the prize.

That's exactly how FTF's are view in my local geocaching community. A freindly race. I've rushed off to try and get FTF on some caches, and have been beaten a couple times. It's a little race between 3 or 4 cachers here locally. It's all about bragging rights in the group. With the rise of LPC's, APC's, and other quick grabs everywhere, I got out of the FTF races.

I like the ones that are hard to get too. There's one I'd love to get FTF on, and it was posted 6 months ago. I can see the general location from up above, but I'd have to scuba dive to get FTF. I can only surface dive 15, maybe 20 ft, it's about 30-35ft underwater. I think about these kinds of conditions when I look for places to place a cache. The only one I have placed so far, I put it up at the beginning of a 2 day blizzard so my tracks in the snow would be covered. We ended up with almost 3 feet of snow, so I wanted to see who would be first to find in deep snow. It took about a week, but somebody finally got it.

FTF

Yes, that was already covered in this thread. They recognize that it's something people do, but they don't keep stats on it, nor do they have rules governing it. It is ridiculous for individual cachers to expect others to abide by arbitrary rules that have nothing to do with geocaching.com or Groundspeak.

I like being the FTF but I don't keep track of them or want a Co-FTF if I'm with you and you find it. Many cachers here will give you a Co-FTF. Happened to me just last night. I was at GZ....some friends of mine pull up and his wife made the spot almost instantly. The Cache Owner gave us both FTF's in her cache description because I was "there". It was nice of them, but I wouldn't have minded if they didn't.

somebody came and claimed firstfind on a cache i'd found twelve days earlier. their log looks a little funny there after mine, loudly proclaiming their firstfind.

some people will do that, i guess.

it ain't no skin offa my tail.

I was co-FTF with two good friends at a paddle cache. I just happened to be in the proper end of the rowboat to make the grab.

That's not the whole story, though.

Y'see, the cache owner had said in the description that this was a "kayak" cache.

Somebody came along two days later and claimed FTF because they had used a kayak, and we'd been in a rowboat.

oh, THAT'S rich.

my next cache is going to be listed as a "hopping on one foot without pants" cache.

I've got a couple of FTF. But only one was entirely on my own. My sons and I cache as a team and we all share the finds, FTF, etc.

Upon occasion we have hit GZ at the same time as one or another local cacher and "we" will search as a team.

That being said, FTF is not that big a deal to me. It's a fun little side game but I'm anything but obsessive about it. If a new cache pops up in the area and I've got nothing better to do I'll give it a try but it isn't the main reason that I cache.

The problem that I have with the "Professional" FTFers is that they tend to descend on the cache like an army and some of them believe that all is fair in Love and FTF, throw caution to the wind and "dadgum (auto bad word replacement, cool) the torpedoes, full speed ahead." My oldest son has actually came on to the scene of a new cache and found one cacher's truck setting with the door open parked on the sidewalk. I recently put out a new cache in a local park and one cacher logged a STF 12 minutes after the park officially closed for the day. These types of activities may well jeopardize our game.

But if you want to log FTF on one of my caches that's up to you, whether you are the first or the hundred first, its your game do as you wish. I do usually leave a FTF prize mostly just to encourage people to go and look.

BTW if anyone is interested I recently got GC207EE published and it hasn't been found yet, FTF prize is a ammo-can complete with log, pencil and Geocaching card.

Edited by jaroot

It sounds to me that this was THEIR FIRST GEOCACHE EVER. That is something to be proud of. The more people that play the game the better in my opinion.

It sounds to me that this was THEIR FIRST GEOCACHE EVER. That is something to be proud of. The more people that play the game the better in my opinion.

ummm, no. they were claiming a first find on the cache.

here's one of their logs:

The “Heads of State” were up here for our annual “party” convention; a looong weekend campaigning in the high country. Each year, for at least a little while, we secede from the union and give the free bird to the world. We vote for no kings and we wave our private parts in the general direction of those who hang on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society ( nearly everyone ). We are an anarco-sydicalist commune; an autonomous collective. However, since Supreme Executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony, such as paddling into heavy winds, we also like to geocache. Of course, finding this was a treat, but to be FTF was a welcome and unexpected surprise. FTF bragging rights really goes to (name). Thanks for putting an easy cache out there so that we travelers can log and go.

and the other:

Cheers to All~ As (name) said!!! We were first to find!!! "Taunt me again and I will break wind in your general direction." A great weekend was had in this neck of the woods / lake.

would you still like to question my understanding of their intent?

Edited by flask

Wow, that is lame. The only explanation I can think of - and it's reaching - is that they opened the logbook upside-down and backwards and didn't see your log. That happens enough around here that some cachers actually write THIS IS THE BACK at the back of new log books.

ummm, no. they were claiming a first find on the cache.

here's one of their logs:

The “Heads of State” were up here for our annual “party” convention; a looong weekend campaigning in the high country. Each year, for at least a little while, we secede from the union and give the free bird to the world. We vote for no kings and we wave our private parts in the general direction of those who hang on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society ( nearly everyone ). We are an anarco-sydicalist commune; an autonomous collective. However, since Supreme Executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony, such as paddling into heavy winds, we also like to geocache. Of course, finding this was a treat, but to be FTF was a welcome and unexpected surprise. FTF bragging rights really goes to (name). Thanks for putting an easy cache out there so that we travelers can log and go.

and the other:

Cheers to All~ As (name) said!!! We were first to find!!! "Taunt me again and I will break wind in your general direction." A great weekend was had in this neck of the woods / lake.

Wow, that is lame. The only explanation I can think of - and it's reaching - is that they opened the logbook upside-down and backwards and didn't see your log. That happens enough around here that some cachers actually write THIS IS THE BACK at the back of new log books.

That's the only explanation that you can think of? Seems to me that they spell their intentions right out in their logs. They are "waving" at convention. Since they do it all with a bit of flair, I, myself, find it rather funny.

(Edit to simplify the massive quote.)

Edited by Printess Caroline

That's the only explanation that you can think of? Seems to me that they spell their intentions right out in their logs. They are "waving" at convention. Since they do it all with a bit of flair, I, myself, find it rather funny.

That seems to be a bit of a stretch, because the logs indicate in a fairly earnest manner that they honestly believed they were FTF: "Of course, finding this was a treat, but to be FTF was a welcome and unexpected surprise." There's nothing directly stating that claiming a fake FTF is part of their silly anarcho-whateverism.

That seems to be a bit of a stretch, because the logs indicate in a fairly earnest manner that they honestly believed they were FTF: "Of course, finding this was a treat, but to be FTF was a welcome and unexpected surprise." There's nothing directly stating that claiming a fake FTF is part of their silly anarcho-whateverism.

Well, what would be the fun in saying that their claim of FTF is just a ruse to upset those who care about such things? That's not how you play that game. If you want to really get a good result from such a claim, you would ideally want to claim a FTF after someone like the OP rushes out to find the cache first. Now THAT would be entertaining.

I have often seen a new cache with 2 or 3 people logging something like "...we were the FTF. Nice..."

Personaly, I wouldn't do that. My first search for an unfound cache, my 8 year old dauter made the find. She claimed FTF, and I logged something like "..Punked my my 8 year old Aggg..."

Just had several of my NEW caches that I placed just today found and they all had Multiple FTFs.......... seems there was quite a FTF party at GZ on all 3 Caches.

Scubasonic

This past Friday, my wife and I were caching with 3 other friends of ours when 5 new caches were published somewhat in the area we were at. We diverted our plans and belined for the new caches. We ended up getting the FTFs on all 5 and all of us claimed the FTFs on all the caches because we were caching as a group. We also met up with the cache owner at the last cache and he thought it was great that we were all working together.

I think that the best thing said in this forum is that this is a game and it should be fun. People play it different ways and we need to respect the way they play if we want them to respect the way we play it. Again, lets just have fun with this game (obsession).

Well, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you! I mean, if I went 'round saying I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed scimitar at me, they'd put me away! Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.

I think I understand their intent.. :)

I go out with 5-6 friends and we are all looking for the same cache. We figure that the cache is in the area and we spread out acknowledging the errors in cache coordinates. We might wander back and forth converging on "GZ" at times but we don't knock each other out of the way like we are going after an "nfl" fumble. We share the ftf. I used to be much more competitive than I am today.

The norm around here is that all present during the search can share the co-FTF if the actual finder cares to share it. Most actual finders do.

The actual finder gets to sign the log first and collect the FTF prize if there is one.

Cachers who walk up while the cache is open but already found don't normally share in the co-FTF.

These are never hard and fast rules.