My complete set was not complete

DeepButi

:)

Half a year ago I discovered geocaching.

Some months later I discovered TB Jeeps. Cannot find the exact post here (jokes on search engine are not allowed, are they? :D:D)

It took me several months monitoring caches on my area to get a complete set:

00b8fdcc-303c-4287-9770-6dd4aaa5e2d5.jpg

and today I discovered my set was not complete :(:):).

:unsure: No white Jeeps nearby grrrrrrrrrrr :D:D

Can someone tell me what is so special about these Jeep TB's everybody talks about. Does The site sell them? Where do you get them?

They were part of a promotional campaign with Jeep. Sadly, the '07 Red is last we shall ever see of them. *sniff* The Jeep of the New Economy is not interested in promoting other companies' activities.

They were kind of cool in the same way that individual geocoins are kind of cool- unique icon, hefty weight, shiny and bright, etc. For the same reasons people (read: jerks) tended to collect and keep them as their preciousssss.

I have only ever seen the red Jeep in person. I think I might have seen a glimpse of a white one embedded in Snoogans' forehead during GW7. Could have just been the potato salad.

Edited by Castle Mischief

I don't get it - did you pick up other people's TBs from caches and keep them until you had what you thought was a complete set? :unsure:

mmmm .... "monitoring caches" means I run PQ often to see if there was any Jeep on a 100 mile radius of my home. Then I went to search the apropiate caches if possible (one took me several hours driving, others were on unreachable mountains at the time, etc).

And yes, I kept them for some weeks until I found one of each. Then I released them.

Cannot see anything wrong on this. I didn't plan to keep them for long (going a check the max time I got anyone) and of course I picked them up .... what are TBs for if not grab&drop? I moved them to special caches (new placed ones of my own, the oldest in Spain, a hard-hard-hard puzzle, etc).

??

I don't get it - did you pick up other people's TBs from caches and keep them until you had what you thought was a complete set?

the jeeps do not belong to actual people, but were part of a promotion by jeep. so if you hang onto one for a while before releasing it, few people if any will care.

I don't get it - did you pick up other people's TBs from caches and keep them until you had what you thought was a complete set?

the jeeps do not belong to actual people, but were part of a promotion by jeep. so if you hang onto one for a while before releasing it, few people if any will care.

Even for TBs that belong to actual people, would a 52 days (maximum) period be considered ... mmm ... unpolite? :unsure:

On August I drop a TB (not a Jeep) on a 4.5 mountain that has 5 finds in one year and a half. It will be there at least until April or May (if it's lucky!!!!). Is that better than holding it for a couple of months with a specific purpose (publish the picture) ?

Really worried, now ... :D

Edited by DeepButi

Even for TBs that belong to actual people, would a 52 days (maximum) period be considered ... mmm ... impolite? :unsure:

On August I drop a TB (not a Jeep) on a 4.5 mountain that had 5 finds in one year and a half. It will be there at least until April or May (if it's lucky!!!!). Is that better than holding it for a couple of months with a specific purpose (publish the picture) ?

Send a note to the owner and ask them. Most TB owners are just happy to know that their TB is in good hands and will be placed eventually. Some communication is better than no communication. (Which reminds me, I need to post a note on the TB that I have in my hands...)

Edited by Castle Mischief

TBs come and go. they move according to ebb and flow of traffic and are subject to entropy, just like everything else.

there are a number of people playing a game that is not geocaching and yet related to geocaching in which they need to see TBs move in an orderly, controlled manner, and as quickly as possible.

these people need to be shaken up a little.

leave the TB where it seems appropriate to you to do so.

i typically have a LOT of TBs in my inventory. if i see them in unstable caches or caches that are badly in need of maintenance, i pick them up. if it's a nice TB i won't release it again until i find a decent container at low risk of disappearing.

...or until i get a note from a nervous owner, in which case the TB goes right into the first cache i come to, stable or not.

Even for TBs that belong to actual people, would a 52 days (maximum) period be considered ... mmm ... unpolite? :unsure:

On August I drop a TB (not a Jeep) on a 4.5 mountain that has 5 finds in one year and a half. It will be there at least until April or May (if it's lucky!!!!). Is that better than holding it for a couple of months with a specific purpose (publish the picture) ?

Holding on to it for an extended period of time is not cool to a lot of people. I have been reamed out by many a TB owner when I forget to drop one (or worse forget to drop it online)

When I got my Jeep TB from GM, I really wanted to keep it, but I knew that if I held on to it like many did the promotion would probably not be repeated. Which it hasn't.

I had a few jeeps on me at one time at a mega event, and REALLY wanted to hold on to it, eventually, "doing the right thing" won out.

I think each of those jeeps have gone missing, including the one I got from GM.

i typically have a LOT of TBs in my inventory. if i see them in unstable caches or caches that are badly in need of maintenance, i pick them up. if it's a nice TB i won't release it again until i find a decent container at low risk of disappearing.

...or until i get a note from a nervous owner, in which case the TB goes right into the first cache i come to, stable or not.

Slightly OT

You know what works really really well? The notification system of this site. I love it when considerate cachers contact us to let us know they may have our traveler a little longer than the suggested 2-3 weeks - especially if they are planning to move it on a journey or somewhere closer to its stated goal.

I take other people's property seriously and as TBs and GCs that are released by others aren't MINE to do with as I please, I try my best to respect the owner's wishes and - if all else fails - send them a quick note and let them in on what is going on. If I am unable to do that for any reason, I don't pick up the traveler at all.

It is called common courtesy. :unsure:

Slightly OT

You know what works really really well? The notification system of this site. I love it when considerate cachers contact us to let us know they may have our traveler a little longer than the suggested 2-3 weeks - especially if they are planning to move it on a journey or somewhere closer to its stated goal.

I take other people's property seriously and as TBs and GCs that are released by others aren't MINE to do with as I please, I try my best to respect the owner's wishes and - if all else fails - send them a quick note and let them in on what is going on. If I am unable to do that for any reason, I don't pick up the traveler at all.

It is called common courtesy. :unsure:

I agree whole-heartedly with flask. (Though I don't usually have a number of trackables at one time...) I try to find them good homes. Help them with their missions... (Got one that wants to visit the New York Times Building. That'll take another week, at least...) Unlike some others, I do not put trackables in leaking caches, or ones that look likely to be muggled. Unless, of course, someone complains that I've been holding the trackable too long. Then it goes in the next cache it fits in...

i take other peopl'e TBs seriously too, but the current nanny culture surrounding them is too much for me.

if i take it, i'll move it.

i take a lot of good TBs out of poorly hidden traches that go missing pretty quick. because of a general shortage of stable full-size containers into which to drop them, i have somewhat of a backlog.

if somebody wants me to release their TB now, it goes into the first cache i come upon, whether that's an ammocan or a cracked gladware under a bush at the dunkin' donuts drive thru. if i have to send somebody a note every time i hang onto a TB for more than a couple of weeks, i'm not going to be picking any up, no matter how hinky the container it's in is.

nice coin in a wet trashe in a pickle park? i'll just leave it there to fend for itself. TB sitting in a cache that hasn't been found in two years? i'd rather leave it there than have to explain why i'm keeping it the extra few weeks.

if a TB has a not on it asking me to move it quickly, i won't bother to pick it up, no matter what its circumstances.

i do not expect daily notices on my TBs; sometimes they go missing for years at a time. i'm not concerned.

quite frankly, i don't WANT an email every time somebody hangs onto one of mine for a while. and i really appreciate it when somebody hangs onto mine long enough to put it somewhere stable rather than move it quickly.

it's called common courtesy.

(Though I don't usually have a number of trackables at one time...)

the reason i usually have a number of them at one time is because of my pattern of caching. often i will find several hundred caches between the time i leave my home to go caching and the time i return to my home from caching three and a half weeks later.

therefore every TB i take comes home with me to get logged and then does not move until i go out caching again.

i do not take most of the TBs i find; it's too much hassle. if i find a nice one in a bad place i pick it up. i release them faithfully as soon as it is practical to do so.

i don't mind at all if someone takes one of mine as a traveling companion for a while. i don't expect anyone to send me notes about it.

quite frankly, i don't WANT an email every time somebody hangs onto one of mine for a while.

Oh yeah - I forgot - you hate to be listed as FTF on cache pages too. Almost forgot who I was talking to for a second. Lol...

the two aren't related.

aversion to crass advertising has little to do with a desire to let things be and just see where they go.

it is interesting to note however that "common courtesy" varies from person to person and culture to culture.

this is why cats love people who don't like cats. the natural behavior of a person who doesn't care about cats mimics very closely the cat's idea of what is polite.

when i purchased my TBs, i considered it to be a lovely experiment on the ebb and flow of the travel of people and things. i'm a big fan of entropy. i like to see where things go. if i wanted to have to babysit something, i'd have children, or maybe dogs.

i am aware that some people dress up their TBs as some sort of child substitute and maintain a fiction of its anthropomorphized desires, but i won't knowingly pick up one of those babies, not even if it's plated in solid gold and pays me in cash.

I was agreeing with you, flask. :D I've only sent one e-mail to a bug holder asking when he would move it on. And that was only because my brother accused us of stealing his stuffed bird! His bird fell asleep in my sister's luggage wnd woke up in Maine! So we attached a TB tag to it, and sent it back to Seattle! (That's our story and we're sticking to it!)

Okay. I have sent e-mails to people holding bugs longer than a year. Didn't do any good. Nope. I wouldn't want to be e-mailed by people holding them longer than two weeks! That would become annoying! We had one that took a nice month trip from Michigan to Japan and back. That was fun. Another that went from Florida to South Africa to France, to South Carolina to Germany. We loved it! And we did take one on a nine state tour before dropping it in Pennsylvania. Hope the bug owner enjoyed that trip.

quite frankly, i don't WANT an email every time somebody hangs onto one of mine for a while.

Oh yeah - I forgot - you hate to be listed as FTF on cache pages too. Almost forgot who I was talking to for a second. Lol...

the two aren't related.

You missed my point entirely. That's fine. Life goes on.

and your point was what, eraser-on-both-ends?

did you mean to suggest that because i hold one opinion you find laughable that all my other opinions are worthless?

or that i'm too obtuse on account of that to be taken seriously on any matter?

is there any possible point you could be making by relating the two that i shouldn't take offense at, or would it be fine if i just chose to overlook the implied insult and addressed the issue directly?

think carefully; i wouldn't want you to break an ankle backpedaling.

did you mean to suggest that because i hold one opinion you find laughable that all my other opinions are worthless?

is there any possible point you could be making by relating the two that i shouldn't take offense at, or would it be fine if i just chose to overlook the implied insult and addressed the issue directly?

I think you need to take a deep breath and relax. How is your cat?

i do this expressly FOR the purpose of relaxing.

i do not have a cat. that would require me to have to babysit it. i can barely keep up with houseplants.

cactus suit me very nicely. i have a six-footer named fluffy. i water it once a month.

I think you've been given a clear example of someone giving you a good reason to not even try to be nice, eh?

:D

Some people are just contrarian by nature. And that is not meant to be an insult in any way, shape, or form. Life would be boring if there weren't people like that in the world. I think the trick is just to acknowledge people for who they are (at least in our heads) and try not to let things that don't matter much get to us.

It isn't a perfect system, lord knows I've had my moments! But sometimes it's better just to laugh it off and move on. Life is short and there are bigger things to be concerned about than a post or 2 on a message board. [/philosophical rant]

Back on topic - those Jeep TBs are sweet! I've only run across one so far.

I don't get it - did you pick up other people's TBs from caches and keep them until you had what you thought was a complete set? :D

mmmm .... "monitoring caches" means I run PQ often to see if there was any Jeep on a 100 mile radius of my home. Then I went to search the apropiate caches if possible (one took me several hours driving, others were on unreachable mountains at the time, etc).

And yes, I kept them for some weeks until I found one of each. Then I released them.

Cannot see anything wrong on this. I didn't plan to keep them for long (going a check the max time I got anyone) and of course I picked them up .... what are TBs for if not grab&drop? I moved them to special caches (new placed ones of my own, the oldest in Spain, a hard-hard-hard puzzle, etc).

??

Eh, no one cares (or should) about what you did in this particular case. If they do, they need to lighten up. :D

However (and this is just a trip down memory lane) there was a huge problem with people keeping these things when they were new. It was even referred to as "hoarding" them here in the forums. So much so, that after the first couple of years, Groundspeak changed the way they were distributed, by mailing them to people with a promise they would place it in a cache, as opposed to giving them out to Geocaching Organizations to hand out at events.

And yes, I believe most or all of the Jeep Promotions pre-dated the trackable Geocoin craze, so people really wanted those Jeep Icons.

Castle Mischief They were kind of cool in the same way that individual geocoins are kind of cool- unique icon, hefty weight, shiny and bright, etc. For the same reasons people (read: jerks) tended to collect and keep them as their preciousssss.

Isonzo Karst When the first Jeep TBs were released, the only trackable Icons were the basic TB, the extremely rare Moun10Bike coin and USA geocoin. That was it. A new trackable Icon was big deal.

TheWhiteUrkel However (and this is just a trip down memory lane) there was a huge problem with people keeping these things when they were new. It was even referred to as "hoarding" them here in the forums. So much so, that after the first couple of years, Groundspeak changed the way they were distributed, by mailing them to people with a promise they would place it in a cache, as opposed to giving them out to Geocaching Organizations to hand out at events.

And yes, I believe most or all of the Jeep Promotions pre-dated the trackable Geocoin craze, so people really wanted those Jeep Icons.

FWIW, they were also a ticket to entry in a photo contest to win a brand new Jeep. The contest required the Jeep TB in the picture itself. (Technically, if you traveled to a cache with a listed Jeep TB but it was missing, you could enter a photo with your GPSr display clearing proving you were there in lieu of the TB... no examples of that in the Winners Gallery though.)

I don't know all of what fed the hoarding mentality, but it's possible that at least part of it was that the contest was asking entrants to willingly reduce their own chances of winning.

They were part of a promotional campaign with Jeep. Sadly, the '07 Red is last we shall ever see of them. *sniff* The Jeep of the New Economy is not interested in promoting other companies' activities.

I suspect that it may have had more to do with the return on their investment than with cross-promotion. In other threads we mock ourselves for not even being able to support a magazine. Chrysler was giving out a brand new Jeep to a geocacher every year (in addition to a handful of top-of-the-line GPSr's) and at some point they may have figured out that the promotion wasn't driving enough sales among the geocacher demographic.

You could argue that we should be proud that we aren't easily talked out of our hard-earned money by glossy magazines and flashy car promotions. But at the same time, it may be less of a mystery when companies learn to stop throwing cars at us.

We're hoping people realize that those Jeep TBs are meant to travel and not for people to keep.

Two weeks is considered a fair amount of time to hold a TB, but people have to realize that not everyone caches daily or weekly, and everyone's time and mileage may vary.

Edited by Eartha

Wow! I just posted to share the picture (and my mistake). Didn't expect a philosophical evolution of the post :rolleyes:.

To make it clear: ALL three Jeeps on the picture were released, I'm not keeping anyone of them. As I'm not keeping any other TB. In fact I watch ALL TBs I ever picked up and love to see them moving. Someones are just a few days with me, others some weeks, and in this particular case I wanted to have take a picture of a set so kept one longer than usual.

Edited by DeepButi

It wasn't a mistake. You stated that you did not hold them in your post, I checked that out first, but some do think it's OK to do so, so I wanted to make sure to mention that. Forums are a place for discussion, and this place is a lot like my own family, everyone talking at once, and conversations twisting and turning every which way. What you did was start a discussion. It's OK.

It wasn't a mistake. You stated that you did not hold them in your post, I checked that out first, but some do think it's OK to do so, so I wanted to make sure to mention that. Forums are a place for discussion, and this place is a lot like my own family, everyone talking at once, and conversations twisting and turning every which way. What you did was start a discussion. It's OK.

:rolleyes::D no, no, "my mistake" means I thought a red-yellow-green Jeep set was complete, because I didn't know white Jeeps existed (no one showed on my area on the last 4 months!!!).

And I love conversations & discussions, so I'm not worried at all about the whole post, just wanted to be sure everyone knew the facts as the post was moved from original Forum, so probably most people will not read all the posts.

:):D

Anyone with a white Jeep plannign to come to Spain in the near future? I'm still monitoring Jeeps so can try to re-get a this-time-yes complete set!!! :D:D

Just to be annoying... I managed a complete set, then placed them all in a cache...

jeeps.jpg

Wow, those white ones are big!

Of your four whites, one is missing, another one was grabbed 3 months ago and the other two are +750miles from home ... a little bit too far for me :blink:. Will have to wait, someday one of them will come to my country ;).

Wow...

By the way, how do you pronounce your username? Best that I get it straight in my head now. :D

Deep-beauty

Deep-butty

Deep-buddy

:blink:

Deep is exactly what it seems, the english word deep

# Profound, having great meaning or import, but possibly obscure or not obvious.

That is a deep thought

Buti is more complex as it is short for a Catalan card game, the u as in you, the i as in deep.

And yes, you can guess it, I wrote a program to play the card game and called it from DeepBlue :wub: (not very original, I know), and the name become my nick on Internet without myself being aware of the process.

;):lol: Satisfied?

Edited by DeepButi