Delorme PN-60w

AndrewRJ

MtHermit,

I was impressed with the fact that my freind's PN-40 was able to get any sat info inside the plant, considering all the stuff that was around. I later tried it with my PN-20. I was able to finally get a 3D lock, but nothing like that -40.

What did impress me most was setting WP's out in the parking lot. Once outside, a few minutes later, the PN-40 was advertizing 5' accuracy. I set two different WP's at some safety poles, then backed off and tracked to them. When it guided me to the first one I set the the unit on the pole and "distance to" the WP was about 2'. The second was about 4'.

What did impress me most was setting WP's out in the parking lot. Once outside, a few minutes later, the PN-40 was advertizing 5' accuracy. I set two different WP's at some safety poles, then backed off and tracked to them. When it guided me to the first one I set the the unit on the pole and "distance to" the WP was about 2'. The second was about 4'.

Go back every couple days & re-check those waypoints. Reproducing the same results within a few minutes is no big deal; getting similar results with a very different satellite constellation is another matter.

MtHermit,

I was impressed with the fact that my freind's PN-40 was able to get any sat info inside the plant, considering all the stuff that was around. I later tried it with my PN-20. I was able to finally get a 3D lock, but nothing like that -40.

He missed the big picture for the minor nit.

I'm just curious if anyone else might happen to own both a PN-40 and 60Csx or 76Csx and would be interested in sharing their experiences.

Are you aware the 76 has been replaced by the 78? The 78 has paperless GC and Birdeye satellite photos. The betting is that the 60 will be replaced by the 62 in a few weeks.

I'm just curious if anyone else might happen to own both a PN-40 and 60Csx or 76Csx and would be interested in sharing their experiences.

Sorry to keep belaboring the point, but I want to be sure!!!

I owned both the PN40se and the 60csx. Once I got comfortable with the 40 I sold the 60csx. The 60csx was a great unit and never gave me any problems. It performed very well. The primary reason I bought the 40 was the paperless caching features. I had considered the newer paperless Garmin models but the 40 seemed like much better bang for the buck. I haven't looked back. I'm aware there are some that have had issues and don't think the 40 performed as well as their 60csx but that was not my experience. My head-to-head tests showed the two to be equal as far as accuracy and signal acquisition and lock. One area I would say there was a slight advantage of one over the other was in track recording. The 60csx seemed to be a little better in that regard but for my use it wasn't significant. I imagine it had to do with the different antenna designs. Another difference is battery life. The 60csx does much better than the 40. Again, this wasn't a factor for me as most of my caching runs and hikes are 10 hours or less and I can get that much time out of a set of lithiums or the custom "Cab" Li-Ion that unfortunately is not currently available. Also, Li-Ions can be charged while in the 40, an advantage over the 60csx.

Are you aware the 76 has been replaced by the 78? The 78 has paperless GC and Birdeye satellite photos. The betting is that the 60 will be replaced by the 62 in a few weeks.

Just checked price of 78sc instead of 78. 78's suggested retail is $349.99. Not too bad for Garmin. 78sc is $549.99. Wonder if those extras are worth $200.

Edit to add:

78 - No electronic compass, no barametric altimeter, no wireless 349.99

78s - has all the above with no extra preinstalled maps 449.99

78sc - has all of the above plus preloaded Bluecharts 549.99

Edited by Pax42
Just checked price of 78sc instead of 78. 78's suggested retail is $349.99. Not too bad for Garmin. 78sc is $549.99. Wonder if those extras are worth $200.
We were discussing that in another thread. Garmin sure knows how to push the retail price envelope. The automotive units are cutthroat, but in the hand held market it's Garmin and Delorme, and Garmin is the 800# gorilla. All the original Delorme's were me too, but the PN-60/SPOT has legs.

The clock is ticking down ... any info as to whether REI will be carrying the PN60 and The PN60W? I am getting a serious twitchchchchchch.

Nobody's carrying it until it's released.

Since REI carried/carries the 20, 30 and 40, the 60 isn't an unrealistic guess.

I finally did find some good posts here comparing the 60/76 series with the PN-40. The odd thing is that the search engine here will not accept search terms smaller than 5 characters so good ole Google found them for me - I just had to dig through pages of search results.

Here are a few good threads from Groundspeak and others:

PN-40 vs. 60Csx

Another thread

Yet another!

A good real world test from another site

From the Delorme Forum

more side by side (follow all of the document links also)

I pre-ordered the PN-60w - let's see if I have buyer's remorse ;-)