Delorme PN-60w

AndrewRJ

The Amazon link seems to be the most complete detailed information at the moment.

It's hard to see what all it offers right now. Lower power consumption is good; half-mile wireless connectivity sounds interesting. Note that there will be a PN-60w and a PN-60 (without wireless).

Same size screen, for all you who have been wondering.

The Amazon link seems to be the most complete detailed information at the moment.

It's hard to see what all it offers right now. Lower power consumption is good; half-mile wireless connectivity sounds interesting. Note that there will be a PN-60w and a PN-60 (without wireless).

Same size screen, for all you who have been wondering.

The screen size is fine, hoping they have more pixels on this one.

Same form factor and thus screen size? The black color is cool but my old eyes need a bigger screen. Come on

Delorme. :D Woo me away from garmins please with a bigger screen.

For a bigger Screen, you should take a CompeGPS AVENTURA with a 3,5" screen and extreme fast multimap/multilevel raster map drawing

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbqb0k_ga...-aventura_sport

http://www.twonav.com/?op=2_0〈=0en∏=275

No, I'd say the holiday sales were thevreason for the other models being so cheap. At most etailers they've been marked back up. But prices always fluctuate and electronic gear does trend downward as new models come out.

Initial pricing on the 60W is steep for me. I'm curious to see what the real "street price" becomes, and how big the premium is for the 60W vs the regular 60 when it comes out.

Edited by lee_rimar

I managed to find a few other price points.

DeLorme PN-60 (no wireless): $399,

PN-60w: $449,

SPOT Communicator: $169,

PN-60w and SPOT Communicator: $549.

Did that place you found the prices also list the PN-40 & 30? Just curious on the % difference, seems like the plain-jane 60 is *twice* as expensive as a 40?

I managed to find a few other price points.

DeLorme PN-60 (no wireless): $399,

PN-60w: $449,

SPOT Communicator: $169,

PN-60w and SPOT Communicator: $549.

Did that place you found the prices also list the PN-40 & 30? Just curious on the % difference, seems like the plain-jane 60 is *twice* as expensive as a 40?

But Delorme's retail price on the 40 is still $349 and the 40SE $499. I imagine once the 60 series launches you'll see lower prices from Amazon. When the 40 first hit the shelves, Amazon was already discounting it $50 off retail.

The prices are the same as on Amazon, but where did you find the price on the PN-60 w without spot? What if anyone can tell me is the difference between the plain PN-60 and the PN-40?

Thanks

Read about it on the Delorme Blog HERE

One of the last comments is answered by Chip Noble with the separate pricing.

The unit looks interesting, but the shelling out an initial $800 plus bucks and $200 a year after than seems slightly steep. Looks like some nice improvements though. About the only feature lacking that I'd really like to see would be some means of two way communication, or at least having the unit at least let you know that the message was received.

When I first heard of this possible unit, I didn't visualize two seperate units. The way the spot subscription service works, that's probably a plus, and I can see both good and bad points to the combination. I wonder if the Spot device offers at least as much functionality as the spot II when used as a stand alone device. It will be interesting to see.

Finally, while I doubt they'd go for it, I wonder if I could talk them into sending me the new Delorme version of the spot when I send in my Spot II for the recall replacement. I can't imagine why I'd want two units, and if I already had the spot portion of the combination I'd only have to spring for the GPS part. I suppose while I'm dreaming, isn't the powerball lottery getting up there right now.....

The unit looks interesting, but the shelling out an initial $800 plus bucks and $200 a year after than seems slightly steep. Looks like some nice improvements though. About the only feature lacking that I'd really like to see would be some means of two way communication, or at least having the unit at least let you know that the message was received.

When I first heard of this possible unit, I didn't visualize two seperate units. The way the spot subscription service works, that's probably a plus, and I can see both good and bad points to the combination. I wonder if the Spot device offers at least as much functionality as the spot II when used as a stand alone device. It will be interesting to see.

Finally, while I doubt they'd go for it, I wonder if I could talk them into sending me the new Delorme version of the spot when I send in my Spot II for the recall replacement. I can't imagine why I'd want two units, and if I already had the spot portion of the combination I'd only have to spring for the GPS part. I suppose while I'm dreaming, isn't the powerball lottery getting up there right now.....

I am not sure where you got the $800 from. The 60W comes with the spot receiver at the $550 price point.

Sorry about the price point documentation. I got then from a blog I frequent and the blogger was at the consumer electronics show. I just did a quick cut and paste.

edit for clarification

Edited by AndrewRJ

I am not sure where you got the $800 from. The 60W comes with the spot receiver at the $550 price point.

Sorry about the price point documentation. I got then from a blog I frequent and the blogger was at the consumer electronics show. I just did a quick cut and paste.

edit for clarification

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If these units will " talk effectively ", share waypoint data with one another I will get in line with bucks in hand

edit for clarification

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

If these units will " talk effectively ", share waypoint data with one another I will get in line with bucks in hand

????? Computer interface by way of ?????Usb / Mini USB cable ??? or the proprietary one ????

????? Computer interface by way of ?????Usb / Mini USB cable ??? or the proprietary one ????

It seems that Delorme is determined to keep new development costs as low as possible which means as much hardware carryover as possible. Chip has confirmed the display is the same as the 40. I'm guessing the PC interface is unchanged as well.

Edited by Pax42

edit for clarification

That's $550 for the purchase, plus the subscription for the SPOT service with all the bells and whistles I think. Otherwise the SPOT is a paperweight.

Chip has confirmed the display is the same as the 40. I'm guessing the PC interface is unchanged as well.

He did? I missed that. I just did another search and all I found was "UI available for the PN-60 only"

They're taking better advantage of the graphics capability that's already on the PN series.

Chip has confirmed the display is the same as the 40. I'm guessing the PC interface is unchanged as well.

He did? I missed that. I just did another search and all I found was "UI available for the PN-60 only"

I should correct myself. On the Delorme forums, Dakboy asked about display size and resolution and got a response via Twitter that it was the same display. I assume the twitter reply was from Chip.

It seems that Delorme is determined to keep new development costs as low as possible which means as much hardware carryover as possible. Chip has confirmed the display is the same as the 40. I'm guessing the PC interface is unchanged as well.

Sure would have liked to see USB / Mini USB interface ... Well I guess we can hope for a sturdier less cranky proprietary interface cable.

I should correct myself. On the Delorme forums, Dakboy asked about display size and resolution and got a response via Twitter that it was the same display. I assume the twitter reply was from Chip.

Thanks. I did miss that. I'm not going to continue to harp beyond this post because I've reached the point of acceptance (LOL) but it really does seem kinda silly then to not include these changes in the firmware.

Perhaps they made that choice less as a limit encouraging you to upgrade, but moreso that they aren't supporting 2 different UIs on the 30/40. As the person who gets those calls from my client for the software my team builds, I can sort of understand that.

Since getting the unit I have kinda thought it seemed strange that the UI was so boxy/low-res when the screen itself seemed capable of much finer graphics.

edit for clarification

$550 gets you the GPS and the SPOT. My current spot subscription is $150 per year. Thats $100 for the basic check in okay, and SOS capability. It costs another $50 per year to enable the tracking feature, and another $7 or $8 for the rescue insurance, which may or may not be something you desire. Spot isn't giving a price for Text Messaging service yet, but I think it would be safe to assume it's another $50 per year which takes the spot subscription to $200 per year, which is reasonable for what you're getting, but more than some geocachers would probably want to spend based on the amount of people I see trying to get gps units for less than that amount. Throw in sales taxes, and some lithium batteries for the spot, and you're up over $800 for the first year and a couple hundred for each year after that.

Thanks. I did miss that. I'm not going to continue to harp beyond this post because I've reached the point of acceptance (LOL) but it really does seem kinda silly then to not include these changes in the firmware.

Perhaps they made that choice less as a limit encouraging you to upgrade, but moreso that they aren't supporting 2 different UIs on the 30/40. As the person who gets those calls from my client for the software my team builds, I can sort of understand that.

Since getting the unit I have kinda thought it seemed strange that the UI was so boxy/low-res when the screen itself seemed capable of much finer graphics.

Well perhaps. However, upgrading folks would probably just do the deed while new entry folks would have no history

Well perhaps. However, upgrading folks would probably just do the deed while new entry folks would have no history

Greater minds than ours.

The screen (hardware) may be the same, but the PN-60wt has a new UI. Topo 9.0 is slated to get some improvements too.

As I read the information from Chip on the DeLorme forum, the "screenshots" from the PN-60 which have been published are not actual screenshots, they're mock-ups from the design department. Final UI will probably not be quite as glitzy, if I had to guess. But still fancier than the current one.

Faster, but same cable interface.

Faster would be good ... I wonder if it could be used on the 20's, 30's, 40's lying in the stable?????

There was a new Geocaching Podcast posted last night that included a substantial interview with Chip Noble from DeLorme. I cross-posted on the DeLorme boards this list of notable features that Chip mentioned in the interview.

• AAs should give about 14 hours of PN-60 operation (more with power-saving mode)
  • They may be including an orange lanyard for those who go spelunking in coal mines at midnight
  • PN-60 firmware will allow for activity-based settings (profiles)
  • PN-60w will allow for wireless transfer of waypoints between units
  • Topo9 will incorporate CacheRegister functionality (Chip mentioned seamless gc.com to PN transfer of pocket queries)
  • CacheRegister will continue to be supported for Mac users
  • Hi-Res aerial imagery (30 cm) available worldwide (pricing to follow)
  • Small chunks of worldwide basemap can be purchased (pricing to follow)
  • There has been in-house discussion of incorporating imagery registration into TopoUSA, but they are sticking with XMap for now

I'll add to that list that the PN-60w will not be able to talk to Garmins, as they are using different wireless protocols.

Faster would be good ... I wonder if it could be used on the 20's, 30's, 40's lying in the stable?????

I'd be surprised if it could. It's likely a hardware change.
  • Hi-Res aerial imagery (30 cm) available worldwide (pricing to follow)
  • Small chunks of worldwide basemap can be purchased (pricing to follow)
  • There has been in-house discussion of incorporating imagery registration into TopoUSA, but they are sticking with XMap for now

I hope that means pre-cut in all cases. I really don't want to buy Xmap, even at the reduced price, for the limited amount of this which I will need to do. I hope the "pricing to follow" is reasonable and doesn't have to be on top of the MapLibrary subscription.

"Pricing to follow" (my words, not exactly DeLorme's) means it will be beyond the subscription as it now exists. I suppose it's possible they may offer a higher-priced world-wide subscription.

Also, I'm pretty sure any hi-res imagery will have to be custom cut; it's simply too memory-intensive. While many people can use, say, eastern Pennsylvania, cutting a hi-res file of the same area would be fantastically huge. They'll probably handle the world-wide imagery orders in a manner similar to what they are currently doing for US.

"Pricing to follow" (my words, not exactly DeLorme's) means it will be beyond the subscription as it now exists. I suppose it's possible they may offer a higher-priced world-wide subscription.

Also, I'm pretty sure any hi-res imagery will have to be custom cut; it's simply too memory-intensive. While many people can use, say, eastern Pennsylvania, cutting a hi-res file of the same area would be fantastically huge. They'll probably handle the world-wide imagery orders in a manner similar to what they are currently doing for US.

Will my maps that I have downloaded work on the PN-60 and will Topo 9.0 work with the PN-40? Also I am about to buy a new map subscription, should I wait or will it work with Topo 9.0 and the PN-60?

Thanks

Will my maps that I have downloaded work on the PN-60 and will Topo 9.0 work with the PN-40? Also I am about to buy a new map subscription, should I wait or will it work with Topo 9.0 and the PN-60?

Thanks

If history is any indication, all you'll have to do is update the maps you've already cut to get the PN-60's serial number registered to them. The move from Topo 7 to Topo 8 and PN-20 to PN-30/40 was pretty painless.

Any news??

Thanks

If history is any indication, all you'll have to do is update the maps you've already cut to get the PN-60's serial number registered to them. The move from Topo 7 to Topo 8 and PN-20 to PN-30/40 was pretty painless.

No new information on release date yet that I can tell.

Thanks TL...I'm thinking about leaving the Garmin camp, but no info I have read can convince me the accuracy of the Delorme's top of the line units are on par accuracy wise with my GPSMap76Csx.

I want the cool maps, but accuracy is more important!! My understanding is the PN series needs to be held horizontal for best reception? My 76 works vertical or horizontal the same. Just want to be sure before I shell out the clams.

Any links to threads? I can't find any decent comparisons that aren't purely subjective.

No new information on release date yet that I can tell.

Thanks TL...I'm thinking about leaving the Garmin camp, but no info I have read can convince me the accuracy of the Delorme's top of the line units are on par accuracy wise with my GPSMap76Csx.

I want the cool maps, but accuracy is more important!! My understanding is the PN series needs to be held horizontal for best reception? My 76 works vertical or horizontal the same. Just want to be sure before I shell out the clams.

Any links to threads? I can't find any decent comparisons that aren't purely subjective.

Actually, they are very on par. Do a search on Searching UT. He did an amazing post on comarisons between the DeLorme and Garmin. I did a comparison with an etrex and my PN-40 an they were both inside 8 feet at one of my caches after I readjusted the coords with the PN. The PN does have a patch antenna and it does need to be held horizontal for the best reception but I know of folks quite happy with it in their shirt pockets. As with any device, YMWV.

[

I can't find any decent comparisons that aren't purely subjective.

Hank,

Is a non-Photoshopped pic objective enough?

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/w...pg?t=1272018472

That's a pic I took of a friend's new PN-40 inside our industrial plant. 30' masonry walls and an insulated fiberglass roof. I've not had the good fortune to own one of those GPSMap76Csx units, but I'd like to see if it can get a 9' accuracy WAAS lock in that same building.

Thanks TL - found the Searching UT posts. Interesting. My 76 has the same guts as a 60 - just a bit more ergonomic with the buttons on top and it floats!

Thanks WT for the pic - impressive!

I have been reading all of the stuff I can find about the Cartesio chipset - which ain't much. I have a SPOT device and the idea of sending txts via satellite interests me a great deal. The cool maps on the PN series intrigues me quite a bit also. HOWEVER, just undecided to pre-order the 60w. Guess I can return it!

I wish I had a 40 to play around with....

Hank, FWIW I remember that not long after the PN-40 came out someone did a nice series of tracking comparisons between the PN-40 and the 60cs (I searched but couldn't come up with the thread, which was posted in this forum). My recollection was that the two performed comparably except in narrow slot canyons, where the quad antenna of the 60cs gave it an advantage over the PN-40's patch antenna.

It's not a bad choice to try it out for yourself. If you have any difficulty in returning it to the seller, DeLorme honors a 30-day satisfaction guarantee for any unit sold through an authorized retailer.

ReceptioninPlant.jpg

That's a pic I took of a friend's new PN-40 inside our industrial plant. 30' masonry walls and an insulated fiberglass roof. I've not had the good fortune to own one of those GPSMap76Csx units, but I'd like to see if it can get a 9' accuracy WAAS lock in that same building.

That "9-foot" is an internal estimate computed internally to the PN-40 using Delorme's algorithms. Same way for every Garmin. You can't compare the numbers between brands, only the same brand.

IOW, don't believe everything you see.