pn-40 charging help

I have a pn-40 along with a CR-V3 battery.I also have a charging dock as well as a usb cord.

i put it on the plug in charging dock when i went to sleep and still don't have a full battery.Whats the best way to charge the CR-V3 battery to get a full charge?

Some of the CR-V3 chargers are just a little bit oversize, and need to have a paper shim placed between the bottom of the battery and the end of the "dock" opposite the contacts.

Ok by charging dock are you referring to the black piece that slides in on the top? There are 2 cables one that has that piece hooked solid to the cable and another that you can plug a usb cable into. Yes it will charge Via USB just maybe slower than using a wall plug.

A thought when you say are you using docking are you using the touchstone? by any chance.

on my older 20 I had problems with the contacts sticking and thus it would not charge.

Also you do have the settings set on the correct battery type?

ok,,will the usb cord give it a full charge

I have 2 usb cords and a small black charger that the batt will slide into.

the usb has a wall plug as well..

I have used both and only get a half charge...on the small black charger there is a green light,will that light go off when it is done charging?

Typically on those chargers the light is red when the battery is charging and changes to green when the battery is fully charged.

rockhoppernc, when you say you only have a half charge, is that derived from viewing the power remaining bars on the PN? Those readouts aren't very precise, and a "fully charged" battery may not show 100%...in fact it frequently begin at 75% and go to 50% fairly rapidly, but stay on 50% for a pretty good while.

I'm also guessing that if the battery is new, it may take a few discharge cycles before it reaches maximum charge capacity.

The best indicator is a rundown test to see how long your PN will operate powered by the battery. Set the trip timer to zero, place the GPS on a windowsill or something, and after it turns off power it back up to see what the timer said when it shut down. You can also set a data field to show power remaining: it's still not very precise, but better than the colored bars.

If you are getting short run times on your battery, you might have a dud that merits a call to DeLorme TS to investigate replacement.

rockhoppernc,

What are the issues exactly? The green light does mean fully charged on the charger. What kind of runtimes are you getting from the battery? When I used the unit I was only using it once a week for 2 and a half hours at a time. So basically I would use the usb cable with the wall outlet adaptor and charge it the day of use, then I would go out and cache from 9:00p.m. to 11:30p.m. and the battery lasted fine for that use. Tell me what kind of actual run time you are getting. I just checked the delorme website and if your battery time isn't up to standards, I'll be happy to paypal you the $13 they are charging for a replacement battery. Hopefully this is just a wrong setting or something but if not I want to make things right.

I did just update the firmware before I sent it out, and never used it with the new firmware, are there any issues with the new firmware that anybody might throw in?

Sounds like rockhoppernc may have unknowingly bought one of those fake NiMH 2.4 vot CR-V3 batteries instead of a 3.7volt Li-ion battery. Is that possible rockhoppernc?

I hope not since I sold him the unit. I bought the unit second hand, so I can't guarantee it's not NIMh, but it looks exactly like the one on Delorme's website. How can you tell the difference?

Edited by sanramonhunter

Sounds like rockhoppernc may have unknowingly bought one of those fake NiMH 2.4 vot CR-V3 batteries instead of a 3.7volt Li-ion battery. Is that possible rockhoppernc?

I hope not since I sold him the unit. I bought the unit second hand, so I can't guarantee it's not NIMh, but it looks exactly like the one on Delorme's website. How can you tell the difference?

sanramonhunter-

It must be a 3.7 volt Li-ion from what you have described. I presently have a seldom used battery of that type that won't even last 2 1/2 hours, so it sounds par for the course. If a used up li-ion battery is the only problem, it sounds like rockhoppernc got a good deal. :rolleyes:

Brian here,,,well with the usb pluged into the wall i got a full charge....then after turning it on it did jump down,,,i get that....

so as for run time a did get some good time out of that charge,,,,i spent the day doing a few cach hides..works good....on the way pack to my car i did get a low battery so thats cool i just need to bring a few extry batt's when i go out,,no big deal...

i did take a look at the battery:

has on it:fits CR-V3 and under that 3V 1400mAh

Edited by rockhoppernc

I have a pn-40 along with a CR-V3 battery.I also have a charging dock as well as a usb cord.

i put it on the plug in charging dock when i went to sleep and still don't have a full battery.Whats the best way to charge the CR-V3 battery to get a full charge?

I had a PN-40 for a few weeks. I bought it for the rechargeable feature. I would get less than 30 minutes of geo-caching before it would die. I sent it back.

I had a PN-40 for a few weeks. I bought it for the rechargeable feature. I would get less than 30 minutes of geo-caching before it would die. I sent it back.

Of course, it's likely you had a bad battery and really doesn't answer the question you quoted now does it?

I get better than 5 hours life on mine. I tend to charge it with the wall charger, but then again, I have the old travel pack where the battery sits in the charger versus staying ni the GPS.

From what I've read in the DeLorme forums, you don't want to run the battery out 100%. It isn't a memory issue like you have with NiCads.

Edited by TotemLake

Of course, it's likely you had a bad battery and really doesn't answer the question you quoted now does it?

I agree, TL, my assessment of it is that it is a continuation of the rant.

However, I will endeavor to help the OP by building on your advice.

I had two of the DeLorme rechargeable Li-Ions go bad and here is what I did to test them:

1. I allowed it to charge in the PN-40 for 24 hours, just to make sure,

1a. With the PN-40 disconnected, I turned it OFF.

1b. I connected it to a 12VDC source.

1c. I briefly pressed the ON/PWR button and then released it, I did not hold it down long enought to boot/start.

1d. The screen will flicker briefly, then it will dimly display "Charged", but leave it as within a minute it will say "Charging" with the left to right, moving progress bar.

2. Eventually, the display will switch back to "Charged", hopefully.

3. Then disconnect, if not reporting "Charged" after 24 hours, disconnect anyway (See 10).

4. Boot up, and put on window sill allowing the backlight to dim.

5. Check periodically.

6. Should last 5 hours as TL notes; however, I accept 4 hours minimum as GOOD.

7. If it lasts less than 1 hour, battery is BAD.

8. It is my experience that there is no in between, or greater than 1 but less than 4.

9. Which makes the assessment almost non-subjective.

10. I expect that if the battery is not reported as "Charged" after 24 hours, it is bad. However, I still recommend completing steps 4 through 7.

It was my delightful experience with DeLorme's excellent customer service that both were replaced expeditiously. :rolleyes:

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

Thank you for your advice. I guess I'm just a dumb old redneck because your 10 step process to charge a battery just confuses me more. What I really looking for is a unit that is simple to operate. I'm not very technical and it seems the DaLorme is made more for those who are into that sort of thing.

I just want to turn on the GPSr, upload a few caches, and find them. I'm just not willing to dedicate that amount of time to figure out how to run the thing.

Yup, that was understood why you returned your PN without taking up the offer of help from the DeLorme staff.

Let's turn that chip on your shoulder into something positive.

Have a great day!

It's obvious my attempts to reconcile with you two are futile. But at least my earlier point was confirmed. I just have not figured out yet if you have to be rude and judgmental to become a DeLorme advisor or does that just come along after you have used one for a while.

I retract my previous expression of gratitude.

It's obvious my attempts to reconcile with you two are futile. But at least my earlier point was confirmed. I just have not figured out yet if you have to be rude and judgmental to become a DeLorme advisor or does that just come along after you have used one for a while.

I retract my previous expression of gratitude.

You are not the victim you claim to be. The shot in the foot is self-inflicted. My response was niether rude nor judgemental. It was a statement of fact and I wished you to have a great day.

Edited by TotemLake

I don't see anything wrong here. Normal consumer behavior. Unit was bad and customer sent it back. The problem was battery oriented and IMO not out of line on the thread. Interesting though how a defective PN40 was spun around to become a consumer issue.

I don't see anything wrong here. Normal consumer behavior. Unit was bad and customer sent it back. The problem was battery oriented and IMO not out of line on the thread. Interesting though how a defective PN40 was spun around to become a consumer issue.

There were originally no quarrels about the defective unit. This issue occured over more than one thread. WB was provided advise which couldn't be determined if he even follow it, was provided an offer of help from the DeLorme staff which he didn't take up, but directly afterwards turned it into a purchase dispute with his credit card instead of sending it back to DeLorme for a no hassle full refund. This is what I got out of it. I consider this hostile. If you consider this normal...

Edited by TotemLake

There were originally no quarrels about the defective unit. This issue occured over more than one thread. WB was provided advise which couldn't be determined if he even follow it, was provided an offer of help from the DeLorme staff which he didn't take up, but directly afterwards turned it into a purchase dispute with his credit card instead of sending it back to DeLorme for a no hassle full refund. This is what I got out of it. I consider this hostile. If you consider this normal...

Someone PLEASE explain the mindset to me that as a consumer I am bound to assist the seller to remedy a defective product. IMO that would be a courtesy I extend at my option. He (Wbtaylor) had the PN40 for ten days after asking for help, I would think it a reasonable assumption that he invested some time and effort to resolve an admitted defect of Delorme. The only assistance from Delorme during the ten day period was a post from Caleb, well intended but not helpful.

The decision he made regarding the return is between him and Delorme.

Someone PLEASE explain the mindset to me that as a consumer I am bound to assist the seller to remedy a defective product. IMO that would be a courtesy I extend at my option. He (Wbtaylor) had the PN40 for ten days after asking for help, I would think it a reasonable assumption that he invested some time and effort to resolve an admitted defect of Delorme. The only assistance from Delorme during the ten day period was a post from Caleb, well intended but not helpful.

Would you take a new car back to the dealer and demand a refund or would you give them a chance to correct the problem? The only difference is the price. You are not bound to assist the seller, but would be foolish not to accept the manufacturer's offer to correct the problem and have the item working as intended.

John

Would you take a new car back to the dealer and demand a refund or would you give them a chance to correct the problem? The only difference is the price. You are not bound to assist the seller, but would be foolish not to accept the manufacturer's offer to correct the problem and have the item working as intended.

John

Not only that, he was receiving help, both here in these forums and in the DeLorme forums. Again, it wasn't clear he was following the advisements. Nor did he ever call DeLorme's customer service to give them a shot. Yes it's a reasonable expectation to buy a working device, but when it isn't working it is reasonable to actually ask Customer Service for help which he clearly did not do (as far as I can tell by his posts). He didn't want to wait for hours on hold (his words, not mine). It was clear he didn't and wouldn't make the call by that simple statement. Hold times for DeLorme have historically been surprisingly short. Average was about 20 minutes after Xmas, typical was about 5 and you received a live body regardless of the hold time. Not some telephony drill down.

Customer support is not obligated to be on these forums nor the DeLorme forums. Even Garmin doesn't have an obligation to do that with their product and yet Caleb with DeLorme DID come on board to extend a hand without an obligation to do so. Remember that. All WB had to do was call. It was recommended at his first complaint to phone them and don't use the email system. In short, you do have to give customer service a shot before you complain they didn't do anything for you. Knowing how DeLorme's customer support works, I know he didn't.