North Manitou Island Geocaching Event June 27, 2010

North Manitou Island is part of the Sleeping bear National Lakeshore in North West Michigan. We will be hosting our 3rd Annual Event on this island June 27, 2010. The island is 15,000 acres of designated wilderness area.

The only amenities on this island are a potable water source and a pit toilet located near the doc. Otherwise visitors are completely on their own.

here is the cache page for anyone that is interested in such an adventure

3rd Annual Survivor Event GC22C87

Can he fly a plane with floats? If he can, you might be in business (there is a GA airport at Traverse City where he can gas up).

This event is intriguing, to say the least. (In Wisconsin, there is a similar event on Rock Island which requires TWO ferry rides each way.) Easiest way for me to get to Sleeping Bear Dunes from Milwaukee (where I live) would be to take the ferry from Milwaukee to Muskegon, or from Manitowoc to Ludington. Anything to avoid driving through Chicago and NW Indiana!

I wondered about a plane with Pontoons..

Not speaking with any knowledge of such things but I suspect the waters of lake michigan would need to be pretty calm given there is no harbor to calm the waters.

Two years ago our ferry was delayed by 5 hours because the waters were to rough.... When we arrived in the morning we were told to check back later in the day to see if the ferry would be coming. Luckily it did come and we able to get home that day.