yet another pn-40 question

ok here is another one,,

with the pn-40-

finding poi's there is a tab for geocaches,,,is this any good......and will it bring up any info about the caches?

it has been searching for about 20 min,,,,will it bring up all caches of the maps i have on card or just in like say 100 miles?

is this a good question or what

Edited by rockhoppernc

Not sure I understand your question. If you are referring to the "geocaches" option on the PN-40's menu screen, that is what you would select to bring up all the caches you have personally loaded to the device. If you become a premium member you can dowload pocket queries for your area, load them to the PN-40 and have all the info from the cache listing available.

I think they are asking whether it is preloaded like the POIs. In that case the answer is "no" and the rest of what you need to know is described by Pax42.

The detail IN the Geocache section once you have populated them is really good. It's not yet Everything, so no attributes but that is coming sometime soon also.

Using the find feature and selecting "geocaches" gives you the ability to search for a specific cache (again, that you've loaded to the device) without having to scroll through the entire list on the device. For example: you have 1000 caches loaded but want to look at one called Pete's Cache. Whether you're sorting by distance or name, it can take awhile to get to that cache by scrolling the list. By using the find feature, you can select "geocache" and then choose either "all" or if you know the type, switch to that and then type in Pete's and it will bring up a list of only those caches with that word in the title.

no thats not it,,,i get that part...

ok so if you hit the find key-then you see a list(show):

all

recent finds

geocaches

poi's and so on,,,

with that geocaches tap will it look for the caches on my gps only or from gps info like points of interest brings up names on the map

The PN-20/30/40 devices can searh for Geocaches by "Near Map Center", or by "Name Begins With", or by "Name Contains" which is a string search. However only 100 items may be dispayed in one search operation and the search engine cannot presently filter by name and location at the same time so as to present the 100 closest names beginning with, or containing, a defined string of characters.

Another piece of information that may or may not be relevant to your question: the PN's classify as "geocaches" any waypoint that has a geocache-specific icon. That is, geocaches are a subset of waypoints (which is why you are limited to a thousand waypoints + geocaches in internal memory. Child waypoints obtained in pocket queries are treated as regular waypoints.