Phone Booth

Crossfinders

I'm looking around our area for potential locations for a cache. There is a phone booth outside a general store in our small town. You rarely see any one using it. Is this generally considered to be OK, or is a phone booth "out of bounds" because it is owned by Bell? Perhaps the issue would more likely be curious muggles?

I explained geocaching to the owner of the general store and he has no problem with me hiding it there.

Not sure how it would go over with Bell Canada. It is their equipment after all.

On another note, to me it would be like desecrating a part of history! In this age of cell phones, just try to find a pay phone!

Just kidding of course. (not about being able to find one if you need it!)

LOL

The phone book is missing and you never see anyone use the phone booth. I thought it might help bring in a little business for the store owner.

Official stance: You need permission from the telephone company.

Real life stance: there a great many of them out there, and I can promise you that not one has official permission. I'm sure there is not one person here that can tell you how you would even begin to go about obtaining such permission from the telephone company.

Take your pick.

Official stance: You need permission from the telephone company.

Real life stance: there a great many of them out there, and I can promise you that not one has official permission. I'm sure there is not one person here that can tell you how you would even begin to go about obtaining such permission from the telephone company.

Take your pick.

Don't be too quick with your bet, you would lose. I know of at least one phone Booth cache with permission.

I don't know how it is in Canada, (where the OP is from) or even most other parts of the country, but around here most pay-phones are not owned or operated by the phone company. My understanding is most are owned and maintained by private companies similar to the way vending machines are done.

I do know some phone booths are owned by the business where they are located, and the owner of such business can ( and at least once, did) grant permission.

However, I would suspect the point of your post is true, I would guess that almost none of these types of caches have permission. :unsure:

Edited by uxorious

I found micro geocaches in phone booths in Germany. They are about as adventurous as a LPC micro in a WalMart parking lot.

As it was said, the phone booth is the property of the phone company or maybe the government, I don't know how this is organized in Canada. So technically you need a permission...

Hide the geocache there if you want, but don't expect the finders to be too excited about it.

GermanSailor

Here in the UK we have an entire, series dedicated to the red Phone box,

it has its own bookmark list and i am the owner of 4 of them.

none that i know have official permission from XXXXXXXXXXX (removed to confirm with forum guidence)

all that i have found are nano and hidden inside the box, a phone box has public access, only the shell and electrics are owned, as long as you do no damage i dont see an issue with having a cache in a box

Edited by daveindeal

I know of one around here that was "muggled" when the phone booth was removed. I just checked on another (called "Superman meets E.T.") and it's not on the map so maybe it got removed, too.

Just something to consider. You might think about placing the cache near, but not in or on the phone booth.

I know of one around here that was "muggled" when the phone booth was removed. I just checked on another (called "Superman meets E.T.") and it's not on the map so maybe it got removed, too.

Just something to consider. You might think about placing the cache near, but not in or on the phone booth.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about placing it in the phone booth because I noticed today that there is a light on inside it 24 hours a day. I think it would look very suspicious, especially in the evening, if people coming up to the nearby stop sign see someone on their knees checking every square inch of the booth.

What's a phone booth.

Just kidding. I know what it is, but my older son and I were watching Matrix the other day and when Trinity ran into the phone booth to make a call to get retrieved at the beginning, my son actually did ask that question - "What's that glass box with a phone in it?"

What's a phone booth.

Just kidding. I know what it is, but my older son and I were watching Matrix the other day and when Trinity ran into the phone booth to make a call to get retrieved at the beginning, my son actually did ask that question - "What's that glass box with a phone in it?"

Some places are installing phone booths to allow cell phone users privacy in their conversations. No phone inside, just a seat and maybe a small table.

I'm beginning to have second thoughts about placing it in the phone booth because I noticed today that there is a light on inside it 24 hours a day. I think it would look very suspicious, especially in the evening, if people coming up to the nearby stop sign see someone on their knees checking every square inch of the booth.

i had one in the phone booth, they are hardly being used this days, and than someone decided to report it

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...86-fb4d257a89eb

yes, a plain hide in a phone booth can be lame, but this one was fun...it was in the bottom part of the receiver, you just had to unscrew the cap, no damage

it was inspired by one we found in Austria, which is still active to this day