Track Error Question & Possible Remedy

revrnd

Over the years I've had issues getting an accurate track when snowmobiling on a trail that was close to a road or highway (a hundred yards or so). The track would zig zag back & forth from the trail to the road's location. I always ride w/ the "Lock On Roads" turned off, so I don't think thats the issue. I had the same troubles on Sat' so I wondered afterwards if the GPSr thinks I'm travelling on the road.

I decided to go for a ride today w/ no maps loaded. Well @ the couple of spots where the track usually goes haywire and zig zags between the trail and nearby roads, I got a nice track that followed the trail.

Accuracy was around +- 20 feet.

Any comments?

If you have "Lock on Road" turned OFF (which is essential for snowmobiling, off-road biking, etc) then I don't believe the GPS "tries to decide" if you are on the road or not - it just records your track. It probably has more to do with the track recording settings. I use "Auto" and "Normal" on my 60CSx, although some people recommend "Auto" and "Most Often", and I get good quality tracklogs for map making purposes.

Bob

Edited by Bob Morphew