Why go Premium?

Supporting the site, access to premium only caches and PQs are why I do it. It's cheap and worth it.

The bookmark thing? I don't really see the benefit if it yet. I can never see anyone elses bookmarks, and I don't really understand why I'd want to make one? Anybody willing to shed some light?

I seldom use bookmarks, but often use PQ's. At times, however, bookmarks come in handy. Recently we found a puzzle cache that required you to find 34 caches to get to the final. It required two PQs of 500 each to show the area containing all caches. I just did a bookmark of all applicable caches and then ran a PQ on that. Easy. (Later I discovered that the cache owner created a bookmark and made it public.)

The same applies to any group of special caches you want to separate from the group. There are other ways, including GSAK filters, but sometimes bookmarks just seem to work better.

The bookmark thing? I don't really see the benefit if it yet. I can never see anyone elses bookmarks, and I don't really understand why I'd want to make one? Anybody willing to shed some light?
I use bookmarks to track my progress on challenge caches, to record personal milestones, to create public lists of caches that I like for various reasons, to record puzzle caches that I have solved but have not yet found, and to follow caches in an area I'm monitoring for a local open space district.

One of the huge benefits for me is the ability to download the GPX instead of the LOC files. I have heard horror stories about getting the LOC files to work correctly with some models of GPSr with crashes, lockups etc, so I won't go anywhere near them. I have too much time invested into my T-400 to risk a crash and start-over.

The premium account allows you to download the GPX which works great for me.

I tried a pocket query but it returned 0 results. I have to go back and figure out what I did wrong.

One of the huge benefits for me is the ability to download the GPX instead of the LOC files. I have heard horror stories about getting the LOC files to work correctly with some models of GPSr with crashes, lockups etc, so I won't go anywhere near them. I have too much time invested into my T-400 to risk a crash and start-over.

The premium account allows you to download the GPX which works great for me.

I tried a pocket query but it returned 0 results. I have to go back and figure out what I did wrong.

A LOC file, like a GPX file, is just XML data (tagged data, in text format). It should be, if anything, easier for applications to digest. And since it is the same app that processes both, you shouldn't encounter a problem with it.

Of course, the LOC does not contain anything else other than name and coordinates, so GPX is much better.

As for pocket query, if you want to start another thread, many people here can probably help you troubleshoot.

sneetches.gif

The best reason to go Premium is you get your belly star after 1 month.

Oh, please. That only works until Sylvester McMonkey McBean shows up and sells preemies for three dollars eaches. Then they end up with stars on thars whilst we wonder where went ours. :)

Don't tell me it won't happen. In fact, I've got reason to believe that Blitzen Bitsen is nothing more than a sock puppet for Sylvester McMonkey McBean....

Edit - changed "blitzen" to "bitsen." Now, talk about a Freudian slip....

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Premium Membership has one-stop shopping.

So, I want to create an "unusual" route between two locations, staying off Interstates and exploring along older US routes (oh, and in some - rare- cases, cutting hours off the trip). Use Google Maps that allow editing, but can't save it as a .GPX or send the route to the GPS (can only send destination point). Ugh. Use Google Earth, with export to KML, but can't edit the route (at least not easily), so stuck with a route chosen by Google Earth. Ugh.

Oh, wait! Create a route on GS.COM that uses Google Map for editing the route, and with two easy clicks of the mouse, save a GPX (send through visualizer for one easy conversion to GDP into mapsourse) of the route and then a Pocket Query for a GPX of the caches. Take all of the products into mapsourse to select the topo maps for the selected region, and I'm done.

Without premium membership, all this would take mutiple addtional steps.

So, all of this, and the fact that afore mentioned moderator pictures are a great weight-reduction plan. No, wait -

No, I mean that I think it important to support a website that provides listings for one of my favorite pastimes...

sneetches.gif

The best reason to go Premium is you get your belly star after 1 month.

Oh, please. That only works until Sylvester McMonkey McBean shows up and sells preemies for three dollars eaches. Then they end up with stars on thars whilst we wonder where went ours. :)

Don't tell me it won't happen. In fact, I've got reason to believe that Blitzen Bitsen is nothing more than a sock puppet for Sylvester McMonkey McBean....

Edit - changed "blitzen" to "bitsen." Now, talk about a Freudian slip....

And you still got it wrong. There are two T's

You know the song, tea for two, two for tea....