inside the cache!

As the starter of this thread i feel obligated to be the first to post :anibad:

I have only found 1 cache so far, i'm new... give me a break. There were no trinkets inside, just a log sheet to sign. The hunt was quite easy but as my first cache it was lots of fun (did it at night, made it more fun imo). Anyways, I don't think i will enjoy searching for mico/nano caches. My trinket is the size of a poker chip (not a poker chip btw). I am really excited about finding caches with trinkets inside to trade so as the hunt may be easier, whats inside is more mysterious imo. What kinds of trinkets would you fit inside a nano cache? can't hardly fit a log sheet and who carries around nano trinkets just in case? So here's the thing, I think larger caches (altoids can and bigger) are going to be my favorite simply for the fact that i can trade trinkets and keep a cool collection. Anyways, lets hear ya'll's suggestions, opinion, and likes/dislikes about the sport of caching.

TREASURE

I have my own personal collection of treasure, some of which I cycle back out into the swag world :) Here's what I currently have from my two months of geocaching thus far :D

Toys for my inner child - Laura the Carrot, a Matchbox with a pirate/treasure map theme, a tiny alligator, a hotdog with a face and gooey pop out eyes, a tiny boat, and a green alien girl.

Random stuff I thought was neat - a small blue fan (will be great in Summer), a pickle eraser, a Uberry charm, and a retired MA Bay Transportation Authority coin (used to be the currency to ride trains when a fellow cacher was younger).

Sig type items - two wooden coins, two pathtags, and a pin.

Oooo and the cutest sig item I found in Dallas TX from a lady's geocacher's event (according to my research) - it's a green chick and says "Where's my Peeps" TXD036. Anyone know who geocacher lady #36 was?? :lol:

The neatest thing my guys have gotten is two little stuffed owls from an owl themed cache, handmade by the cache owner and now on two of my boys' beds.

CACHE SIZE

When I'm not caching with my kiddos micros are probably the most fun. I probably have about a 75% DNF on nanos so not too fond of those at this point :anibad: With my kiddos I definitely want to find containers large enough to have kiddo swag in them to keep them liking my hobby :lol:

HINTS

I like the hints that are a little bit helpful but not spoilers :lol:

SIG TRINKETS

Not yet though I'm thinking about talking to a lady I know who owns her own laser machine and will custom make wood badges.

CACHE TYPE

I've really just done mostly traditionals - must be my favorite type :lol:

TRAVEL BUGS

I'm very fond of them and love moving them around. Was pretty meticulous about discovering them as well but that got old fast :lol: Way too time consuming. So now just move ones that are cute or interesting or have been languishing somewhere too long. I've got one TB (really a geocoin but attached to a toy) but am too scared to let him out of my sight so he's discover only for now at events. Have some geocoins and TBs I haven't prepped to send out yet. Just got the laminator I asked for for Christmas (woohoo) so want to send them off with meticulous instructions, photos, etc :anibad:

Hello all!!!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what kinds of things you find inside caches, what kinds of caches you prefer to search for (mico, nano, small, etc...) What your signature trinkets are, and what your favorite kinds of hunts are (PnG, riddles, poems, hints, hintless, puzzles, etc...)

-Krazyraider051685

Edited by Opalblade

Hello all!!!

I thought it might be fun to start a thread on what kinds of things you find inside caches, what kinds of caches you prefer to search for (mico, nano, small, etc...) What your signature trinkets are, and what your favorite kinds of hunts are (PnG, riddles, poems, hints, hintless, puzzles, etc...)

-Krazyraider051685

Caches I prefer:

Caches where the CO has invested time and money and some thought as to placement

• good watertight container (e.g. real lock n lock, ammo can)
  • swag that's in good shape (placed in individual baggies is a nice touch, not rusty, not broken, garbage removed seasonally)
  • decent location (not an area that needs CITOing, a pleasant location)

I find micros for the most part have little investment in them - placed because it costs zero dollars (free container, scrap of paper, no pencil, no swag). And often placed because the location doesn't already have a cache.

Sizes I prefer:

Regular and large. I don't mind small if there's enough room for tradables. I really dislike micros listed as small (e.g pill bottles, matchstick containers, spice bottle - small should be large enough to hold more then the logbook). I enjoy leaving handcrafted items and I have fun collecting small realistic plastic animals.

Types I prefer:

Traditional and letterbox hybrids

Edited by Lone R

You will probably be surprised to find that the majority (if not vast majority) have long since stopped the swag trade. Do a search for around your home from the web page and click on a few then read the logs. It got especially difficult to trade when I would head out and do 20 in a day. Had to write down each trade.

Plus most of the stuff found is described as McCrap.

I prefer larger caches since I hunt with my 5 year old. As for what I leave, I got my hands on a bunch of good carbineer keychains. So I have been leaving those. As for the cache I have created, a pic is worth a thousand words.31c82abf-1631-4123-9f87-6daa4acf1b8d.jpg

This is the type of cache that my kids and I love to find. Always something interesting. I frequent the dollar store for crazy little knic knac swag. I don't mind the micro and nanos but I prefer the regular to large so that I can leave something for someone else. I love leaving coloring books with a few crayons in a ziplock.

I'm not a trader, so a logbook and maybe trackables are the only things that appeal to me.

As far as sizes, I like them all and rarely look at the size when planning what caches to find. I don't like needle in a haystack hides.

For types, I like everything but tend to skip multis unless they're highly rated, by certain cachers or along a trail with other caches. I generally won't go to a park to do one lone multi.

Edited by Skippermark

Hello all!!!

-Krazyraider051685

piece of gravel, smashed penny, broken mctoys, dead batteries. sometimes i think people think they have to put something in to log a find.

micros and nanos i don't mind as city hides but in the mountains try to at least make it a small[nothing beats a nice ammo can]