Garmin Map upgrades

jmd65

Leaving aside the question of buying versus getting free maps, does anyone have any info on whether Garmin actually does significant changes on their street maps from year to year? I'm considering getting the 2010 edition for my Nuvi to replace the 2009 edition.

Thanks.

Leaving aside the question of buying versus getting free maps, does anyone have any info on whether Garmin actually does significant changes on their street maps from year to year? I'm considering getting the 2010 edition for my Nuvi to replace the 2009 edition.

Thanks.

Yes they do. The also update the POIs, which I find to be valuable when traveling. If you think you're going to keep your GPS unit a while, you might consider the NuMaps subscription. New maps and POIs, updated 4 times a year, for the life of the unit. Update are big, and only available via the Internet, so it's not for people with slow connections.

Yes they do. The also update the POIs, which I find to be valuable when traveling. If you think you're going to keep your GPS unit a while, you might consider the NuMaps subscription. New maps and POIs, updated 4 times a year, for the life of the unit. Update are big, and only available via the Internet, so it's not for people with slow connections.

Well, I went for the lifetime update plan yesterday, since I'm satisfied with my nuvi I have for road navigation. I have to say that I've rarely had a more frustrating experience try to find my way though all the steps that it requires to get a map unlocked and then downloaded. It took a good three hours just to get to the point of starting the download. Everything went pretty smoothly after that.

It was all worth it, I guess. The updated version has an overpass completion that the older one didn't and now I don't get routed three miles out of my way for caches east of town. :unsure:

Well, I went for the lifetime update plan yesterday, since I'm satisfied with my nuvi I have for road navigation. I have to say that I've rarely had a more frustrating experience try to find my way though all the steps that it requires to get a map unlocked and then downloaded. It took a good three hours just to get to the point of starting the download. Everything went pretty smoothly after that.

It was all worth it, I guess. The updated version has an overpass completion that the older one didn't and now I don't get routed three miles out of my way for caches east of town. :D

I completely agree. The Garmin site is generally pretty easy to navigate, but finding and activating the NuMaps download is ridiculous. I've bookmarked it, so I don't have to go through it twice.