FTF Disappointment

In the past few weeks, I have gotten the email about a new cache in the area and put out plans for that day or the next to run out and get it only to be disappointed. Not fast enough, you ask? Not that simple. Apparently, some caches are put out for geo-races, but not published until days, or sometimes even weeks, after the race. So, the publish date might be 12/15/09, but the FTF was on 11/20/09 by Team Whatever in the Geo-Race. I've only been caching for about six months now, and am sure this is not only perfectly legal in geocaching, but widely accepted, but it is extremely annoying.

Just getting that off my chest and curious if this is commonplace.

There are a couple events like that in New England, and usually when they're published, they cache page usually mentions that it was originally placed for the event and is now available for all to find.

There are also caches placed for regular events. They're released during the event so attendees can find it while there (and to encourage more people to attend), but then they're not published until a few days after the event is over.

There are a couple events like that in New England, and usually when they're published, they cache page usually mentions that it was originally placed for the event and is now available for all to find.

I'm guilty of placing a box for letterboxers (a box with a handcarved stamp and logbook) and then opening it up to geocachers afterwards. I disappointed a couple of FTFers because I neglected to mention it in the cache description. I agree, it's best to mention that there have already been finders in the online log (as a note) or in the cache description.

The Bluff Boys put out about thirty new caches for the georace. Many of them needed a bit of post-race maintenance before they were ready to be published for everyone. You can view a partial list of thosecaches here. A couple of other local cachers have been busy putting out new caches recently. We were fifty minutes behind the FTF on this cache two days ago, and it's located about 20 miles southwest of you.

A couple of suggestions: you can set up your cell phone to give you a text message whenever a new cache is published; that way, if you're not at your computer, you still get the instant notification. Also, I highly recommend that you join (for free) the Jackson Area Geocachers. I think you'll enjoy communicating with other local cachers, and you may even get a heads-up now and then whenever a new cache (or event) is still in the planning stages. We'd love to see you on board!

In the past few weeks, I have gotten the email about a new cache in the area and put out plans for that day or the next to run out and get it only to be disappointed. Not fast enough, you ask? Not that simple. Apparently, some caches are put out for geo-races, but not published until days, or sometimes even weeks, after the race. So, the publish date might be 12/15/09, but the FTF was on 11/20/09 by Team Whatever in the Geo-Race. I've only been caching for about six months now, and am sure this is not only perfectly legal in geocaching, but widely accepted, but it is extremely annoying.

Jeepers, if that bothers you, just hang around these here forums for a few more weeks and you'll find oodles of issues much more annoying than a lost FTF opportunity. If you are interested in the race to be FTF, I HIGHLY suggest that you learn early to shrug off being 2nd, third, or worse.

Jeepers, if that bothers you, just hang around these here forums for a few more weeks and you'll find oodles of issues much more annoying than a lost FTF opportunity. If you are interested in the race to be FTF, I HIGHLY suggest that you learn early to shrug off being 2nd, third, or worse.

Didn't say I lost sleep at night over it, just saying it was annoying and seeing if this was typical. But thanks for giving a HIGH jerk opinion.

I've only been at this for a year, but I've never come across a new cache that had been found before it was published. All the FTFs I've been beaten out of were because I didn't rush fast enough to the cache (or lived too far away to get there first, etc.)

Didn't say I lost sleep at night over it, just saying it was annoying and seeing if this was typical. But thanks for giving a HIGH jerk opinion.

You fit in quite well in these forums. Welcome.

You fit in quite well in these forums. Welcome.

I think you had that one coming.

Think that was bad, I was first on the scene of a new cache. It was rated 1/1. I searched for about 30 min. gave up and logged a DNF. The CO then posted a note: "sorry, the cache was not placed yet". I ended up being the 3 or 4th to find it, and it was in the exact spot I kept searching. But in the end, I didn't loose any sleep over it.

Think that was bad, I was first on the scene of a new cache. It was rated 1/1. I searched for about 30 min. gave up and logged a DNF. The CO then posted a note: "sorry, the cache was not placed yet". I ended up being the 3 or 4th to find it, and it was in the exact spot I kept searching. But in the end, I didn't loose any sleep over it.

I can see that causing a little anger, particularly if you could have been doing something more productive with the time. I was under the impression the cache must be in place as a condition of publishing.