Motivation for "stealing" caches?

all done

Somewhat new to this but recently there have been a few area's that have been hit hard by someone going through and removing caches. I have been wondering what ones most likely motivation is to do this?

I think of three basic options.

1. Could it be an "extreme environmentalist" who thinks we are destroying the enviroment?

2. Some idiot who is actually stealing them for whatever their value might be (hardly seems worth it)

3. Some idiot who is just doing it to be an idiot.

any suggestions from those who have been geocaching for a while?

thanks

Somewhat new to this but recently there have been a few area's that have been hit hard by someone going through and removing caches. I have been wondering what ones most likely motivation is to do this?

1. Could it be an "extreme environmentalist" who thinks we are destroying the enviroment?

2. Some idiot who is actually stealing them for whatever their value might be (hardly seems worth it)

thanks

Most likely #3

Some people just don't get the grand scheme of things.

Thank goodness there is karma.

thanks

Most likely #3

That would be my answer as well. Some folks like to be spoilers. There's at least one in every community. There's that one person at school or work. You know the person I'm talkin' 'bout. :P

My guess is that they didn't get enough parental attention when they were children. Their mothers probably didn't breast feed 'em either. :)

I'll add another motivation to the list: No.4. Pure, uncontrolled hatred for another geocacher. We have seen it happen! This motivation should be listed as one of the most vile. :P

Actually, I think #3 has that base covered. :)
Doesn't #3 have every one of them covered?

We have heard examples of #1 here in the forum, although I think the environmentalist groups were in the U.K. in at least one instance. Still, I'd have to group #1 under #3 as well. Any environmentalist that is concerned about geocaches today is missing the bigger picture.

My guess is that they didn't get enough parental attention when they were children. Their mothers probably didn't breast feed 'em either. :anibad:

Giving a second to Snoogans proposal.

Reason #4: Attention!

I think #3 is a one size fits all option. There's no need to continue to list. :)

Besides, under attention goes lack of proper medication. It all still amounts to the same thing. :anibad:

Well I know some people in this world do whatever they can to make other peoples live as miseranle as possible and honestly its probably just some idiot taking them just for his enjoyment... Wow he must pretty lame geocaches? I mean cmon there only containers with stuff in them? Must have lots of free time to to do that! haha :anibad:

thanks

Most likely #3

Could be any of the above. 2 and 3 are easy to deal with. Ignore them and they will usually go away. #1 is

the toughest because they feel that they are on a mission to save the earth and doing good.

One more possiblity is disaffected geocachers who have a grudge against this site or individual cachers.

I'll add another motivation to the list: No.4. Pure, uncontrolled hatred for another geocacher. We have seen it happen! This motivation should be listed as one of the most vile. :anibad:

Actually, I think #3 has that base covered. :anibad:

Thanks for reading my post, but I respectfully disagree. Being an idiot is not a motivation, it is a measure of IQ! Dumb people do dumb things because frankly, they can't help it and have not had the proper training.

Hatred is a motivation not a measure of IQ. Hateful people do really hateful things.

Actually, No. 3 is not a motivation at all as are stealing for value (N0.2) and being an extreme environmentalist (No.1) Those are motives not limitations of mental ability!

Hatred, unfortunately, it the worst motivation/stimulus to do anything. :)

Briansnat said it in another and perhaps more polite way, "One more possiblity is disaffected geocachers who have a grudge against this site or individual cachers."

Acting on grudges is acting on hatred for someone or something!

Edited by Konnarock Kid & Marge

Here's another one ....Maybe it is a basic member that has it in for Premium Member only caches? Just had 6 of mine stolen in the last week in the same area, all premium only caches. All a basic member needs to get the coords is a premium member friend that will give them to them.

I'll add another motivation to the list: No.4. Pure, uncontrolled hatred for another geocacher. We have seen it happen! This motivation should be listed as one of the most vile.

i think that personal vengeance is slightly less vile than doing evil for evil's sake.

while they're both pretty low, i believe bad behavior for no reason other than entertainment is the lowest of low.

I'll add another motivation to the list: No.4. Pure, uncontrolled hatred for another geocacher. We have seen it happen! This motivation should be listed as one of the most vile.

i think that personal vengeance is slightly less vile than doing evil for evil's sake.

while they're both pretty low, i believe bad behavior for no reason other than entertainment is the lowest of low.

I'll go with that! :anibad:

I'll add another motivation to the list: No.4. Pure, uncontrolled hatred for another geocacher. We have seen it happen! This motivation should be listed as one of the most vile. :(

Actually, I think #3 has that base covered. :D

Thanks for reading my post, but I respectfully disagree. Being an idiot is not a motivation, it is a measure of IQ! Dumb people do dumb things because frankly, they can't help it and have not had the proper training.

Hatred is a motivation not a measure of IQ. Hateful people do really hateful things.

Actually, No. 3 is not a motivation at all as are stealing for value (N0.2) and being an extreme environmentalist (No.1) Those are motives not limitations of mental ability!

Hatred, unfortunately, it the worst motivation/stimulus to do anything. :)

Briansnat said it in another and perhaps more polite way, "One more possiblity is disaffected geocachers who have a grudge against this site or individual cachers."

Acting on grudges is acting on hatred for someone or something!

I'm gonna have to disagree right back. :)

You are using the second more clinical definition of idiot. I choose to use the first: Idiot: an utterly foolish or senseless person.

I know quite a few idiots with I.Q.s that are higher than mine. :D

Practicing hate in the geocaching context is utterly foolish and senseless, (as it is anywhere else) so I believe #3 is right on. :)

For example; It's utterly foolish and senseless to steal my caches or travel bugs or to mess with them in any way if you don't like me. My caches are gifts to the geocaching community and I have no monetary interest in them. Same goes with my TBs. You can't hurt me through my property.

Poke me with a pin and I'll bleed.... But you (mods: the royal you) will bleed quite a bit more rest assured. Do what you want to my stuff. You'll only be giving me the smug superior feeling that I enjoy so much. :D:D:unsure:

thanks

In a perfect world, the caches are clearly marked and well hidden. Contents are sealed and dry in a waterproof container. Cachers are directed to places of interest and maybe get to help out by the CITO decree.

In the real world that just isn't so, we've all seen it. Cache maintenance is a must and I wonder why many more losses don't occur because of the trash some people put out as caches. Yea, we've all seen it.

I suspect some non-cacher witnesses cachers and then go to inspect what the "Draw" to this particuliar spot is. Finds the "trash" in their words and hauls it off. A "wet soggy log in a film cannister" as a micro pretty much describes that situation. Of course there are other examples of poorly sealed containers holding rusty and melted goods that have never had a Official GeoCache label applied with the contact information that would help dispell the non-cachers mind with a simple phone call.

I do see a lot of the mentioned trash in my area and wonder why many of the Cachers don't do a better job of following the guidelines on bothsides of the game. I do report some for archiving especially if they go missing for over a month and or, a lot of damage is being done in the area.

I do enjoy the sport and love the outdoors. We had many good caches in a local forrest here removed because of the governor signing a ban on such activity. One or two bad examples doomed them all I'm afraid.

Whatever the reason, following the guidelines on both sides of the game might help improve the losses some, I think.

thanks

Most likely #3

Prove Karma!

thanks

Have you thought of "trash out" ? Some people are really pissed by the negligence of "Geocachers", I visited a few caches lately, that looked like the playground of boars rather than untouched nature.

I've only been doing this for a couple of weeks now and have only 3 finds... none of those finds had the geocache disclaimer notice thingy in them.

Another motivation for disrupting a cache may be national security. Someone may find one and think they've stumbled upon some nefarious underworld plot to overthrow all that is right and good. All those codes and suspicious items...

:unsure:

jm2¢

uba

thanks

In a perfect world, the caches are clearly marked and well hidden. Contents are sealed and dry in a waterproof container. Cachers are directed to places of interest and maybe get to help out by the CITO decree.

In the real world that just isn't so, we've all seen it. Cache maintenance is a must and I wonder why many more losses don't occur because of the trash some people put out as caches. Yea, we've all seen it.

I suspect some non-cacher witnesses cachers and then go to inspect what the "Draw" to this particuliar spot is. Finds the "trash" in their words and hauls it off. A "wet soggy log in a film cannister" as a micro pretty much describes that situation. Of course there are other examples of poorly sealed containers holding rusty and melted goods that have never had a Official GeoCache label applied with the contact information that would help dispell the non-cachers mind with a simple phone call.

I do see a lot of the mentioned trash in my area and wonder why many of the Cachers don't do a better job of following the guidelines on bothsides of the game. I do report some for archiving especially if they go missing for over a month and or, a lot of damage is being done in the area.

I do enjoy the sport and love the outdoors. We had many good caches in a local forrest here removed because of the governor signing a ban on such activity. One or two bad examples doomed them all I'm afraid.

Whatever the reason, following the guidelines on both sides of the game might help improve the losses some, I think.

I think you've touched upon the real theme a lot of caches go missing, but not necessarily because the cache is viewed by the muggle as "trash". I think it's most likely that caches go missing when someone finds them because they don't understand Geocaching and/or they like the container and decide anything left laying around is fair game.

I just replaced a rather nice micro with a cheesey bison tube because the original is gone missing. Probably looked pretty neat to whomever found it, despite it clearly being labeled as a Geocache.

One thing which I think could contribute to the survival of Geocaches is to make them ugly. Placing an ammo can? Put a big dent in it first (where it won't affect the seal), or if you have some welding/brazing equipment, stick an ugly hunk of metal on the side of it. Other containers can be painted up, scratched or covered with camo or other duct-tape to lessen its appeal as bedroom/dormroom or apartment decor.

thanks

You're too kind. They do it to feed their need to be disruptive and harmful to other people. It feeds their ego, releases endorphins and lets them practice a thousand small evils for self gratification. They get off on it, and the more feedback about the disruption, annoyance, and harm they are causing the more they get

off.

Eco freaks are mearly zealots. You could in the right circumstancs work with them even if it's difficult. The Maggots who get off on it...not such luck. You can only refuse to feed their need.

Edit:

Some folks dip their toe in, enjoy the angst for awhile then move on to other forms of self gratification. The payback isn't what they are looking for.

Edited by Renegade Knight